The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Travis Green new head coach

-Vintage Canuck-

14 hours ago, Hank Moody said:

Major meh for me.

I think he's a good coach but not the right one to sell to this fanbase who is starving for an exciting team to watch again

Wouldve liked for them to take their time and interview guys like Mike Kitchen, Crawford, maybe a couple guys who are assistants on current playoff teams. 

This team is painful to watch and a new coach and play style was what had me excited and hopeful. Unfortunately I just don't get that excitement from Travis Green

Will still give my coach a shot, though. All the best to him and I hope I'm wrong!

Best case scenario: next Alain Vigneault like in 2007 when he was promoted.

Worst case scenario: We waste 3 years of developing our young guys under a better coach and we're set back further.

Vigneault was already a nhl head coach in montreal for a few years before his stint here. Not really the same thing. 

Just now, oldnews said:

Aside from being a really good coach and imo a good fit - this hiring also sends the right message to the entire organization.

If you work hard, do your job well, and earn an opportunity, you will get what you've earned.

heh, watch the critics come out if Green manages to help coach this team into a wild card berth next season  (just look at the crap he had to deal with the Comets & he got a bunch of ECHLers into the playoffs).

As long as they hire another experienced assistant coach to go along with Jarvis he should be fine.

If they promote Baumgartner it's gonna be another Lidster situation all over again. Can't have that much inexperience behind the bench.

On 4/25/2017 at 9:54 AM, wallstreetamigo said:

I sincerely hope that Green can completely change his reliance on plugger vets approach but realistically that's how he coached in the AHL. 

The last thing this team needs is a focus on trying to make the Sedins 70 point players again and turning Edler into Lidstrom. 

The Sedins need to be split up or dropped down the lineup, become actual two way players, and not be gifted Ice Time based on history. Edler just needs to be playing 20 min or less and not on the PP. 

Does a rookie head coach have the confidence and balls to hold vets like that accountable? Let's hope so.

What four players on the Canucks would you like to see manning the points on the #1 and #2 PPs?

And how would you divide the ice time, in TOI,  among the six Canucks Dmen? (e.g , if the six are Edler, Tanev, Gudbranson, Stecher, Hutton, Juolevi).

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

As long as they hire another experienced assistant coach to go along with Jarvis he should be fine.

If they promote Baumgartner it's gonna be another Lidster situation all over again. Can't have that much inexperience behind the bench.

1040 is saying Baumgartner is getting promoted...

Should have waited until the end of the playoffs, Boudreau may still get fired and that should be our man, but just about any playoff coach would be perfect.

WD sucked, Eakins sucked, Johnson in Pittsburgh is only having success because of the stacked team he's got.

I'm happy with this move if for no other reason Green managed to coach a career AHL'er into looking so good Calgary gave up a top 6 forward to trade for him. Let that sink in for a moment. People trashing the deal have obviously never watched Green coach before.

8 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

Not sure how I feel about this, but do like the idea of having a mixture of ages and experience on the bench. 

he would be a good guy to help green adjust.  having familiarity with 1 coach will make the transition easier. they probably have a good relationship and green knows he can 100% trust his guy knows what he wants.  another new face might misinterpret a message.  Baumer can help the other coach's with greens msg and clear the air if there's any uncertainties. 

I'm not complaining, but I'm a little confused in the point of switching coaches in the first place. If Green is the best coach in the world which he may be for all I know. At best we improve and rise in the standings and we move further away from getting the top pick we will need to ever have a chance at winning the Stanley Cup. If don't rise in the standing what was the point of changing coaches.

Like I said I'm not complaining about Green being hired. I'm just curious as to what Management hopes to acomplish because IMO we need to finish in the bottom of the standing for at least another 2 years.

Do they believe Green will be that much better at developing prospects?

Do they expect Green will get us back in the playoffs?

Btw I'm not Bitter about Willie being fired and from all accounts Green is a great guy and Coach so I certainly don't have anything against him. I just feel Like I'm missing something.

I really hope Benning explains what they are expecting Green to do. Is he hear to develop is he here to win? I really hope its the former and not the later. I would really hate to follow in the Leafs footsteps and start a new rebuild ever 5 years until they finally figure it out.

Anyways as with all new Canucks I wish him all the best and I hope he is exactly what we need whatever that may be.

12 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

At this time I just wanted to congratulate Green on his new endeavour.  Having said that though I'm going to give Green a fair opportunity/ chance to prove himself before casting judgement whether the Canucks made the right choice or not.

With you on this ^. 

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Should have waited until the end of the playoffs, Boudreau may still get fired and that should be our man, but just about any playoff coach would be perfect.

WD sucked, Eakins sucked, Johnson in Pittsburgh is only having success because of the stacked team he's got.

do you mean mike johnston who was fired after less than a season and a half, or mike sullivan who took over and won a cup but wasn't a rookie head coach?

7 hours ago, LarsEller said:

Vigneault was already a nhl head coach in montreal for a few years before his stint here. Not really the same thing. 

Also 3 yrs as an asst. Coach in Ottawa before Montreal.

Archived