The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Travis Green new head coach

-Vintage Canuck-

bringing Green in now, the team is nearing rock bottom and the vets may or may not be around after next year, which will give him the benefit of the doubt for 2 to 3 years.

The expectation for this team is low (with the current roster, and it should be low). There are big time roster problems to fix that can only be fixed with cap space. This team, in comparison to other top teams that are in the playoffs, does not have a top line and the defence with the loss of Tram and possibly Sbisa will be lacking depth.

After Green's third year if improvement isn't made in his 4th year, he will probably be fired too. There will be at least another 3 years of pain. JB still needs to make the right draft choices, and the draft picks need to play to expectation; plus, JB needs to fill the holes, once the Sedins are gone, with quality using the increase cap space. 

If JB does his job well, then Green will have a better chance to succeed; however, if JB doesn't do his job well, this franchise will be set back another 10 years (from now) and both JB and TG will be looking for work.

9 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I think keeping Miller for at least one more year makes sense..  this keeps him as an asset to move to his team of choice at the TDL.

i think JB did well with his returns for Burrows and Hansen.

If Miller could be resigned for 1 year with the ability to move him at the TDL I might agree with resigning him. I highly doubt that is in the cards. Miller's season likely gets him a multi year deal even if at a lower $. It is not in the long term interests of a rebuilding Canuck team to resign Miller. His CAP should be used on other parts of the roster. Markstrom is very capable of being a #1. 

5 minutes ago, Pete M said:

bringing Green in now, the team is nearing rock bottom and the vets may or may not be around after next year, which will give him the benefit of the doubt for 2 to 3 years.

The expectation for this team is low (with the current roster, and it should be low). There are big time roster problems to fix that can only be fixed with cap space. This team, in comparison to other top teams that are in the playoffs, does not have a top line and the defence with the loss of Tram and possibly Sbisa will be lacking depth.

After Green's third year if improvement isn't made in his 4th year, he will probably be fired too. There will be at least another 3 years of pain. JB still needs to make the right draft choices, and the draft picks need to play to expectation; plus, JB needs to fill the holes, once the Sedins are gone, with quality using the increase cap space. 

If JB does his job well, then Green will have a better chance to succeed; however, if JB doesn't do his job well, this franchise will be set back another 10 years (from now) and both JB and TG will be looking for work.

I think your timeline is accurate for both Benning and Green. I do not expect Green to survive the Van rebuild but that should not be a surprise. Benning might survive if his drafting is showing promise. IMO your 10 year setback is emotional and a shot in the dark. It suggests utter failure in prospect acquisition and development.

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

I think your timeline is accurate for both Benning and Green. I do not expect Green to survive the Van rebuild but that should not be a surprise. Benning might survive if his drafting is showing promise. IMO your 10 year setback is emotional and a shot in the dark. It suggests utter failure in prospect acquisition and development.

Correct...it could happen but I'm hoping it does not happen. 

I agree, more emphasis needs to be put on prospect development. Quality coaches need to be hired at the AHL and ECHL level to make sure the prospects in the pipe line develop their skills and team game in order for them to take the next step, not only to become NHL players, but to become valuable players with the Canucks.

22 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Well he can't possibly be worse than Willie right? 

Well judging by what he has achieved so far to get this job - i.e. not very much - if he can get the team playing as well as Willie did, in the circumstances he will be doing pretty well.

Only clowns thing Willie did a bad job in the circumstances.

8 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Correct...it could happen but I'm hoping it does not happen. 

I agree, more emphasis needs to be put on prospect development. Quality coaches need to be hired at the AHL and ECHL level to make sure the prospects in the pipe line develop their skills and team game in order for them to take the next step, not only to become NHL players, but to become valuable players with the Canucks.

I thought most on here (not me) thought Green was a "quality" coach.

Having said that I will be defending him to the hilt on here as I did for AV and Willie.

29 minutes ago, Pete M said:

There is no way this fanbase led by the media clowns will give Green any more than 2 years of failing to get to the playoffs. The only reason Willie managed 3 was because he got a pretty poor team into the playoffs in his first year.

1 minute ago, alfstonker said:

I thought most on here (not me) thought Green was a "quality" coach.

Having said that I will be defending him to the hilt on here as I did for AV and Willie.

Very important decision to make in regards to who will replace Green...should not be taken lightly.

People pegging Travis Green as a failure when he hasn't even been hired yet. :wacko:

Do you think it is a tad early to over - react?

He deserves and has earned his chance to succeed.

Who knows, Maybe Subban might finally get an opportunity to play under Green and Baumer

Just now, Pete M said:

Very important decision to make in regards to who will replace Green...should not be taken lightly.

I totally agree. 

Ironically while Willie imo was a good coach for Vancouver I actually think he would be a great coach in Utica. He does things the right way, makes rookies earn minutes by being responsible and rewards them and boosts their confidence when they do.

Given that we will hopefully be getting more "talent" into Utica, I can't think of a better coach for the job.

5 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I totally agree. 

Ironically while Willie imo was a good coach for Vancouver I actually think he would be a great coach in Utica. He does things the right way, makes rookies earn minutes by being responsible and rewards them and boosts their confidence when they do.

Given that we will hopefully be getting more "talent" into Utica, I can't think of a better coach for the job.

He would be a good choice for Utica...he would have to eat humble pie if they make an offer to him.

1 minute ago, Mackcanuck said:

People pegging Travis Green as a failure when he hasn't even been hired yet. :wacko:

Do you think it is a tad early to over - react?

He deserves and has earned his chance to succeed.

Who knows, Maybe Subban might finally get an opportunity to play under Green and Baumer

If that was directed at me then firstly any opinion I have is no different from any reasonable person's opinion when judging someone's suitability for a post. I am saying he has done very little to commend him.

If you think differently, then let me hear what you think he has done. Hell he has nowhere near the CV Willie had and apparently WD was considered a failure by many clowns on here.

I am not the one giving Green the job, therefore now that he is coach he will get every benefit of the doubt from me and as much support as I can give him when, as we all know there will be a when, he gets unfairly attacked by the usual idiots on here.

Just now, Pete M said:

He would be a good choice for Utica...he would have to eat humble pie if they make an offer to him.

I see it the other way round but it is not going to happen so the point is moot I suppose.

I would not be surprised to see WD get another NHL head coaching job.

5 minutes ago, Great Granny said:

Boeser, Juolevi, Virtanen, Goldobin, Dahlen, and this year's pick. There are no excuses for Green not having anything to work with anymore. If these guys flounder under Green, we'll know without question, that this franchise has serious problems developing players.

Goldy can easily be a 20+ goal scorer, maybe 30+ in his prime, Boeser definitely 30+ goal scorer as he gets a couple years under his belt and Virtanen I dunno- I have a feeling his NHL career may not last long.  But Juolevi and Dahlen I'm excited for and hopefully Hischier if the Canucks picks him in this year's draft.

I honestly have no opinion on how Green would do this year, we'll just have to wait and see.

I believe Green was brought in because management saw the ability of Green to adapt and squeeze the most out of every player down in Utica, on top of having a philosophy similar to that of Willie Desjardins in terms of what style of play we hope to run. The difference is really in how well Green adapts to the players and what the other team is giving him, which is something Willie wasn't always quick to do if ever.

The good thing for Green is that we're not in a rebuild, and he has more leash to work with than Willie did. The key for Green will be proving he can still get the most out of his players at the NHL level, and that he puts players in positions to stop the opposing team and succeed at this level.

Willie isn't gone because he was a terrible coach, in some ways he was quite good, but in other ways his stubborness clearly held him back and he didn't adapt as well as he could of. He wasn't the coach for a team in our position, and so he was shown the door. So much of the blame on his failure lies with management as well as the coach himself. At some level Willie's success or failure was a message to ownership of where this Franchise is at, and where we need to go.

I believe that a big part of this past season was ownership finally seeing if we were an organization that was capable of making another run, or needing to commit to a rebuild, and I believe they got their answer, which is why we moved Jansen and Burrows at the trade deadline. I believe Jim Benning has earned himself more time at the table because of the way he's evaluated and selected talent in the draft and the knowledge of how important that is for the health of this team. While Virtanen is currently a hand grenade with the pin pulled, Boeser, Demko and others are easily cards in his favor.

I'm not sure if Green is going to be the right guy to take us from where we are now to the mountain top, but I do believe that we are better overall direction-ally as an organization than we were 24 months ago.

7 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

If that was directed at me then firstly any opinion I have is no different from any reasonable person's opinion when judging someone's suitability for a post. I am saying he has done very little to commend him.

If you think differently, then let me hear what you think he has done. Hell he has nowhere near the CV Willie had and apparently WD was considered a failure by many clowns on here.

I am not the one giving Green the job, therefore now that he is coach he will get every benefit of the doubt from me and as much support as I can give him when, as we all know there will be a when, he gets unfairly attacked by the usual idiots on here.

Unless you have Green pegged as a failure before he is even hired, the post was not directed at you.

Archived