The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Travis Green new head coach

-Vintage Canuck-

Green is a perfect growth coach. He can come in with low expectations and help our young guys build chemistry and develop in the next few years, all while getting us one or two more high draft picks.  

I know someone who is insanely close to ownership, and the rumours of Aquaman not being on board with a rebuild before are unfortunately true. He didnt want to lose revenue. But... apparently he is now on board with a full rebuild. He's prepared to do things right now, so look forward to at least one more year of a high draft pick. In a few years we will be Edmonton back in the playoffs. It should've happened a few years ago, but we can't change the past.  At least ownership is finally on board. I'm glad we brought in Green and not some veteran coach who would bring our draft position higher next year.

So, what do we know about him and his coaching style?

Do we know what kind of forecheck he prefers? Do we know if he likes his defense fronting?

I realize that he will adjust his tactics based on personnel but  often the sway heavily one way.

Take Tortorella who was unwilling to venture far from his dump and chase, zero cycle. He would send two forecheckers at the puck with occasionally the third guy around the other corner to take that play away and the strong side D-man pinching- super aggressive. If it worked then fine but if it didn't we would have three forwards below the goal line a defenseman down the wall with his momentum going the wrong way and our team did not have the horses to get back leading to A LOT of odd man rushes the other way.

Willie had them doing a more safe chip and chase (which I hate watching, btw) that requires winning multiple multiple little battles and a more conventional and conservative forecheck but also seemed to turtle more and more as his tenure went on.

56 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I totally agree. 

Ironically while Willie imo was a good coach for Vancouver I actually think he would be a great coach in Utica. He does things the right way, makes rookies earn minutes by being responsible and rewards them and boosts their confidence when they do.

Given that we will hopefully be getting more "talent" into Utica, I can't think of a better coach for the job.

I dont know what team youve watched the last 3 seasons, to say W.D does things the right way is a joke. earning minutes being responsible your on crack W.D played guys who he liked personally over people who actually can play hockey and  has no clue how to coach PP. W.D is not a coach i ever want to see in this organization again.

57 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

If that was directed at me then firstly any opinion I have is no different from any reasonable person's opinion when judging someone's suitability for a post. I am saying he has done very little to commend him.

If you think differently, then let me hear what you think he has done. Hell he has nowhere near the CV Willie had and apparently WD was considered a failure by many clowns on here.

I am not the one giving Green the job, therefore now that he is coach he will get every benefit of the doubt from me and as much support as I can give him when, as we all know there will be a when, he gets unfairly attacked by the usual idiots on here.

Isn't Willie still under contract as he will be paid for another year. Why would the Canucks not be able to have him coach in Utica?

Criticism of Desjardin and now pre-criticism of Green suggests to me that the measure of success is the points accrued during their tenure. IMHO the Win/Loss is not as critical for a rebuilding team. The yardstick has to be in player development. That is hard to assess at the best of times.

On 2017-04-25 at 8:13 AM, CanuckGAME said:

Would have rather us went to the vet Marc Crawford.

Nothing against Green, but I want someone who has 'been there, done that' working with the rookies.

I don't like the idea of another rookie coach, leading the way for a bunch of rookies.  

Quite honestly, I don't think even Mike Babcock could bring this group to respectability. We simply don't have the talent to be competitive.

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

Well judging by what he has achieved so far to get this job - i.e. not very much - if he can get the team playing as well as Willie did, in the circumstances he will be doing pretty well.

Only clowns thing Willie did a bad job in the circumstances.

He did. He took a terrible roster and made it even more terrible.  Horrible deployment choices, stupid explanations, stupid standards.  Kept certain players off the lineup because they needed to learn the 'systems', but injected Drew Shore right into the lineup after coming from Switzerland.  That is just one example.

On 2017-04-25 at 7:59 AM, GoBoGo53 said:

Saw this on twitter:

Coaches to lead rebuilds in past 15 years: McClellan - EDM, Babcock - TOR, Quenville - CHI, Sutter - LA, Hitchcock - STL ...none are Rookies

Anyone want to convince me that hiring Green is a good idea when there are plenty of experienced cup winning coaches available? 

One question I'd like to throw out there; Is Benning's tenure as GM hinging on Green's success or failure? And, other than Stanley Cup; What could be considered a successful debut season for Green?

Sorry, that's two questions.

I am okay with this. I think Green is a good coach. I would like to see him given a long leash. This rebuild is going to take a while and have an endless cycle of coaches doesnt help development. We arent going to be competitive for another 2 years at least, in my opinion.

Let the young guns build and grow with Green behind the bench. They trusted him in Utica, they'll trust him in Van. They lose trust when we keep hiring and removing coaches every 2/3 years.

9 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

One question I'd like to throw out there; Is Benning's tenure as GM hinging on Green's success or failure? And, other than Stanley Cup; What could be considered a successful debut season for Green?

I would say that Benning and Linden jobs are dependent on the success of Green.  (not my words guys on the radio) Benning and Linden have been at it for 3 years already, and if by year 5/6 (greens 2/3 year) there is not a significant improvement in player development or overall performance of the team all three will be scrapped.  

1 hour ago, Mackcanuck said:

Unless you have Green pegged as a failure before he is even hired, the post was not directed at you.

Imo he needs to be given a fair run by all our fans. However many of our fans are so influenced by the rancid Vancouver media it will only be a matter of time before he is put under pressure. His only hope is to get the team playing lights out and even then there will be some who will still find fault with him.

My stance is not unlike how I perceived Willie - as long as Green has the team giving their all almost every night I will be happy. We have not got the players yet who can make significant impact in this league and until we do, compete, effort, and progress is all any reasonable fan can ask. League position is immaterial to me over the next 2 years, if we get these attributes, especially from the youngsters.

57 minutes ago, Hockey101 class said:

I dont know what team youve watched the last 3 seasons, to say W.D does things the right way is a joke. earning minutes being responsible your on crack W.D played guys who he liked personally over people who actually can play hockey and  has no clue how to coach PP. W.D is not a coach i ever want to see in this organization again.

Bollocks!

Come back when you know something about the game.

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

I totally agree. 

Ironically while Willie imo was a good coach for Vancouver I actually think he would be a great coach in Utica. He does things the right way, makes rookies earn minutes by being responsible and rewards them and boosts their confidence when they do.

Given that we will hopefully be getting more "talent" into Utica, I can't think of a better coach for the job.

If you have employess, do you usually fire them for doing things the right way? I do not. If Willie did his job he would not have been terminated 75% of the the way through his contract. Opinions are fine, but yours do not line up with management or ownership of the Vancouver Canucks or with about 85% of the fan base. I think Willie was given more time than he deserved. There were obvious times he was absolutely contradicting what management wanted. That is how you get fired. 

Travis will likely have learned from Willie's mistakes (and Torts as well) and play and develop the kids in their proper roles (not Dmen at forward in place of young forwards forced to sit) and he will likely allow them to make their mistakes and coach the quantity of the mistakes away. If not, I think it will be the end of JB and/or TL. I don't mind losing for 2 more years. I am more comfortable with my season tickets today than this time last year. 

1 minute ago, alfstonker said:

Bollocks!

Come back when you know something about the game.

Attacking someone for their opinion of you is a sure sign of personal weakness. If Willie did things the right way he would not have been fired. Again, you can have your opinion but it doesn't line up with the facts around you. 

27 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

I think Benning saved his job by firing Willie when it became obvious he was not on the same page as management. JB likely bought himself a few years. 3 and maybe 4. A success next year will likely be building a competitive culture again via a hardworking young team that will be exciting to watch but likely miss the playoffs (by quite a bit). I would say 75 points would be a successful point total for this transitioning team. It could easily be a 62 point team however. 

36 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

He did. He took a terrible roster and made it even more terrible.  Horrible deployment choices, stupid explanations, stupid standards.  Kept certain players off the lineup because they needed to learn the 'systems', but injected Drew Shore right into the lineup after coming from Switzerland.  That is just one example.

His timeouts were terrible as well. Never used them right. Never creative, no systems. He should have left Lou with the Twins all year. He should have played the young offensive guys on the PP. Biega should have never played forward. You could go on and on but he is gone now. It's time to pick Green apart :)

57 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Isn't Willie still under contract as he will be paid for another year. Why would the Canucks not be able to have him coach in Utica?

Criticism of Desjardin and now pre-criticism of Green suggests to me that the measure of success is the points accrued during their tenure. IMHO the Win/Loss is not as critical for a rebuilding team. The yardstick has to be in player development. That is hard to assess at the best of times.

I agree. However players must learn a structure and a standard of performance, whether that is someone playing on the 4th or the 1st line. Some including Linden call it a winning environment (which others mistook that to mean winning every night) Points to me are immaterial, as long as I see the team and especially the young players playing with belief and playing consistently hard night after night.

My point regarding Green if I had been in charge of hiring a coach is that I saw very little evidence of any of the young players (including Jake) developing down there. That is not to say things could not be different now that he has the confidence boost of an NHL head coaching position and better all round players.

I don't care what anyone says about Desjardins, imo he could not be faulted in his development of our young players. To this day I maintain Jake AND Jared McCann given an acceptable level of fitness and size respectively, would have been far further on than they are now, if they had remained under Willie. That is just my opinion.

Archived