The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Travis Green new head coach

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Give him a chance. If he doesn't work out here, maybe we can get a 4th round pick from Columbus in 2 years once Torts has worn out his welcome there (boy, from the post-series conference, it looks like "angry Torts" is back). ;-)

They don't give picks as compensation anymore. Basically the league went "the Canucks get an extra pick this way? We'll fix that!" and changed the rules.

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Just doesn't make sense to go with another rookie coach who coaches exactly the same and has the same weakness for veteran players that the last coach had. I will be shocked if we don't see exactly what we have seen the past few years.

Canucks are a train wreck

Can't wait for him to bench the Sedins for a lazy backcheck...lol.

7 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Gretzky is the all time points leader in the NHL and was a crappy coach. One doesn't necessarily translate to the other.

At least Desjardins had NHL experience as an associate coach in Dallas. Green has no NHL coaching experience at all. 

If experience was the determining factor for success then how come so many 'experienced' coaches get fired each year?  Judging Green will come down to how well the young prospects develop. I like the fact he played NHL for +/- 1000 games and showed an ability to adjust his game to stay in the league. It says a lot about his ability to observe and change at a personal level. As I said before I doubt Green will be the coach to led the Canucks from the wilderness but he could be a good Moses.  

Our new Adidas jerseys should have a predominantly green colour scheme and then when we make the playoffs they can hand out green shirts at the door and then we can have the green crowd to combat the sea of red or the orange crush.

Or have it blue but I was thinking green cause of the coach lol ..

I'm going back to bed 

1 hour ago, Bur14Kes17 said:

Green green the mean machine. still a better catch phrase then Edmontons "Orange Crush" 

"Orange Crush"... we all know how that worked out as a catch phrase for a different group :lol: 

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

If experience was the determining factor for success then how come so many 'experienced' coaches get fired each year?  Judging Green will come down to how well the young prospects develop. I like the fact he played NHL for +/- 1000 games and showed an ability to adjust his game to stay in the league. It says a lot about his ability to observe and change at a personal level. As I said before I doubt Green will be the coach to led the Canucks from the wilderness but he could be a good Moses.  

If experience doesn't matter at all why not just hire Tanbir from Surrey? At least the post game pressers would be awesome.

17 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Gretzky is the all time points leader in the NHL and was a crappy coach. One doesn't necessarily translate to the other.

At least Desjardins had NHL experience as an associate coach in Dallas. Green has no NHL coaching experience at all. 

neither did mike babcock.

babs went from whl/cis -> ahl -> nhl

all head coaching positions

what does travis green's path look like again?

I sincerely hope that Green can completely change his reliance on plugger vets approach but realistically that's how he coached in the AHL. 

The last thing this team needs is a focus on trying to make the Sedins 70 point players again and turning Edler into Lidstrom. 

The Sedins need to be split up or dropped down the lineup, become actual two way players, and not be gifted Ice Time based on history. Edler just needs to be playing 20 min or less and not on the PP. 

Does a rookie head coach have the confidence and balls to hold vets like that accountable? Let's hope so.

Happy with this, he deserves his chance to show that he can make it work.

I don't think he would have signed again to return to the Comets, we might as well give him a shot, has done great work with our youth.

Bring in Lowry for the Comets and we're all set with someone else to continue motivating them.

Personally, I think this is a bad idea.  Gamble with an AHL coach with no NHL experience.  Didn't think I'd say this but I prefer Crawford > Green.  

AHL coaches should eat humble pie, be an assistant in NHL, then become head coach.  None of this hopscotching.  

12 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Every coach started somewhere. Agreed. Not sure green is the best fit , but we shall see. 

People keep bashing Greens coaching Systems of late. 

Does no one remember when JB said they were getting Green to coach the same style systems as Willy?

They wanted similar systems to make call up transitions easier and to make some sort of a team identity.  

Green is adaptable, and will now get a chance to do his own thing.  

The arguement about Green going to be soft and pamper the Veterns.  

Nope.  Not his style. 

I watched the Utica season.   It was tough at times, but I watched it.  

I watched him bench whoever needed to be benched.  Gaunce, Subban, Virt, Pedan etc.....     

If you slack off, miss your assignment, don't for/back check hard enough, he will sit you. 

He doesn't care who the player thinks they are.  

It seems most the people bashing the hiring dont really know anything about him other than he is a rookie head coach.

Im not sold on his as our coach either yet, but I don't really see a much better fit at the moment.  

3 minutes ago, tas said:

neither did mike babcock.

babs went from whl/cis -> ahl -> nhl

all head coaching positions

what does travis green's path look like again?

Lol you are really comparing Green to Babcock?

Green has one of the thinnest resumes of any coach hired to be an NHL head coach in a long time. He has no demonstrated track record of developing NHL players in four years in the AHL. He hasn't produced a single impact player for the Canucks in his time there. 

Lets all hope he cones in and becomes a great head coach with a very thin team that needs a proven developer. He has no history of it so it's a huge chance to take.

Babcock took over a strong team in his first coaching gig. And still only lasted two years there. Like many coaches, he became a good NHL coach in his second head coaching stop.

The Canucks do not have the type of team that is strong enough to allow a coach to learn on the job to this degree. Think Dallas Eakins in Edmonton.

Archived