The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Travis Green new head coach

-Vintage Canuck-

38 minutes ago, cbdoubleu said:

WD didn't choose Vancouver to help give guidance to a bunch of rookie players. Teams with serious playoff aspirations were interested in WD as their coach because he was a winner at every level. So I'd see any comparison between WD and Green at all because the expectations have changed so much since the time WD was hired.

You think we lost 43 games last year because of the type of minutes Megna played under WD?

What is Green supposed to accomplish, honestly? If Green can guide this team to 69 points next season it will be a success. Especially if Miller doesn't resign. I have us pegged for last place next year, no matter what. We could have a coaching staff of Babcock, Bowman and the craziest Jaques Lemaire trap you've even seen and we will be last place.

I don't think the fact that we will be near the bottom of the standings next year is the issue.  Its how we get there.  If we play a more exciting brand of hockey by playing the kids and having them develop and learn from their mistakes, then so be it.  If we finish near or at the bottom next year by playing mostly the vets and spending to the cap by signing lousy FA's that won't be in our future plans then that's a problem.

It sounds like it will be a 4 year deal. I guess JB and TL are thinking positively about their own positions, but if they get turfed the next GM may want their own guy.

Anyways, I hope they pushed hard for Ralph and maybe Lindy. TG will finally get his shot. I hope we runs with the young guys and can handle the vets.  

Can't believe they hired Green. Probably was "due" to get hired but why another inexperienced AHL coach. Why can't we be normal and hire someone with experience. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what Green does, hope for the best. 

48 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Green has one of the thinnest resumes of any coach hired to be an NHL head coach in a long time. He has no demonstrated track record of developing NHL players in four years in the AHL. He hasn't produced a single impact player for the Canucks in his time there. 

:lol:

So, you're saying it's his fault such fantastic young talents such as Alexandre Grenier, Darren Archibald, Yann Sauve, Jordan Schroeder, Alex Friesen, Frankie Corrado, Mike Zalewski, Alexandre Mallet, and Curtis Valk haven't gone on to make an NHL impact?

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the reason he hasn't "produced a single impact player" is not really due to coaching. You can't make chicken salad out of...

34 minutes ago, Pears said:

This. People gotta understand that just because coaches/players are available, doesn't mean they want to come here. I think Green will be just fine and it will be good to have him grow with the team. 

Wait... what? 

Who in their right mind would say no to making 7 figures living here? 

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/most-livable-city 

I think this falls on Jimbo and Trevor. IF Green doesn't succeed, both Jim and TL must go.

30 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

Canucks (CDC) fans were scared of losing Travis Green when he was rumoured to go to Calgary or Anaheim over the last few years. Now, many of us are already expecting the team to fail under direction.

This board...

"4 years?  Wah wah wah..."  Eeyore crowd out in force, as usual.

What's the deal?  It's not your money, and it doesn't affect the cap.

I'm happy with Green coming in at this stage. Even though he's been knocked for this and labeled 'entitled,' I like that he turned down the asst role in Pittsburgh (and likely here too) - shows that he's confident in himself and firmly believes he's ready and able to step into the NHL as a head coach. I think he'll do well with a lineup that's as young as ours and I'm sure he'll be really excited to get going. 

The only downside I see in all of this is that the infusion of energy that he'll bring will likely bump us up a few spots in the standings next season. Still not a playoff team but nowhere near the top end draft picks...right in the middle. Still, GMJB seems to draft better in the late stages than early on so it could all work out well in the end. 

Is it October yet?!

4 minutes ago, nux4lyfe said:

WTF is wrong with this team..why give someone unproven 4 yrs?!?!..oh well, not my money and not like I'm renewing my tix.

They must have signed him to a real cheap contract. I've heard that Gulutzan is only making 800k a season which is the cheapest in the NHL according to TSN 1040 and Ben Kuzma. Wouldn't be shocked if Green's coaching contract capped out at 1.2 mill a season which would be on the low side for NHL head coaches.

Besides, by year two, both Tortorella and Desjardin's contract hits will be off the Canucks books so it won't matter too much if the Canucks fire Green by then. Besides, most coaches get two years to prove they deserve to be with their team.

3 hours ago, GoBoGo53 said:

Saw this on twitter:

Coaches to lead rebuilds in past 15 years: McClellan - EDM, Babcock - TOR, Quenville - CHI, Sutter - LA, Hitchcock - STL ...none are Rookies

Anyone want to convince me that hiring Green is a good idea when there are plenty of experienced cup winning coaches available? 

No. Can't think of a good argument from the fan's point of view.

However, from the point of view of ownership and senior management (Aquilini, Linden, and Benning) there are some advantages.

1. Green wants a shot at the NHL and will probably work cheap. (Keeping in mind that Willie will still be getting paid by the Canucks next year.)

2. Green will be grateful to Linden and Benning and will probably not rock the boat. An experienced coach might not be willing to take marching orders from senior management who have never accomplished much (as management) in the NHL. Even Willie would not do everything Benning wanted and a more experienced veteran coach would be even more likely to want to do things his way. (Remember the Torts -- Gillis situation, which ended up with both guys fired.)

3. More experienced coaches might be reluctant to buy into what looks like a losing situation. I know that most of the people left on CDC are Benning loyalists, but I don't think Benning has a lot of respect or credibility as a GM around the league.

Head coaching experience before NHL

Mike Babcock - 8 WHL, 2 AHL seasons

*Joel Quenneville - 3 AHL seasons

Barry Trotz - 5 AHL seasons

Every great coach starts somewhere, I don't think many top coaches would want to come here right now so if they believe in Green then I'm all for taking a flyer on him while we're not competitive. He can develop along with the players and we'll see what we've got.

*Quenneville spent 3 years as NHL assistant

Best of luck TG - happy with this decision.

I'm glad they retained him and agree that he's earned his shot.

I like the relationship he appears to have with his Utica guys and the continuity he brings to the team in terms of culture, systems, etc.

Looking forward to seeing how he does.

I find it ironic that people clamor and clamor to give young players a shot but are so hard-headed against giving a young coach a shot - about the necessity of hiring a 'veteran' coach.   I'm not buying the logic that a guy like Green is a bad choice for a team at this stage of transition.  I think it's actually good timing.

We don't know all the ins and outs that go into this decision, but my 'gut' says this is the right move.

29 minutes ago, D-Money said:

:lol:

So, you're saying it's his fault such fantastic young talents such as Alexandre Grenier, Darren Archibald, Yann Sauve, Jordan Schroeder, Alex Friesen, Frankie Corrado, Mike Zalewski, Alexandre Mallet, and Curtis Valk haven't gone on to make an NHL impact?

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the reason he hasn't "produced a single impact player" is not really due to coaching. You can't make chicken salad out of...

That's fair comment. But it also gives us zero insight into his ability to develop quality prospects into NHL players. So the flip side of that coin is he has no demonstrated track record of being able to do exactly what this team will need him to do.

Archived