The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Back-Up Plan

thejazz97

Who do you want to see as the back-up next season?  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 minutes ago, ThaShady1 said:

No need to cherry pick my comment. Of course they won't, they'll be looking at underlying numbers same as anyone else, once they target in on players. 

I meant more it depends on their plan of building. If they have a sheet of every defenceman available to them to choose from, Sbisa's name might not jump out at them. If they have a team-by-team style analysis, then likely he's the first guy they choose from the Canucks. 

I feel like they'll have a better top 4 available to them than Sbisa, and a contract of his cap hit for a 5/6 defender will only be taken by them if they need to get to the cap floor. 

They can select more than 4 top 4 D and trade guys for other pieces they need. They won't pass on Sbisa because they have 4 better D from elsewhere. And no, his cap won't be an issue.

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

They can select more than 4 top 4 D and trade guys for other pieces they need. They won't pass on Sbisa because they have 4 better D from elsewhere. And no, his cap won't be an issue.

Is there a limit on how many of each player they can take is, positionally? 

If not, seems like this is pretty weighed in their favour considering teams must base their exposure players as such.

2 minutes ago, ThaShady1 said:

Is there a limit on how many of each player they can take is, positionally? 

If not, seems like this is pretty weighed in their favour considering teams must base their exposure players as such.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/c-281010592

* The Las Vegas franchise must select the following number of players at each position: 14 forwards, nine defensemen and three goaltenders.

You'll note that only equals 26 of 30 selections.

I'd bring in Scott Darling.

With the showing that Marky Mark has shown so far, I'm still not convinced that he's a workhorse #1 as people are trying to make him out to be.  His career high in games played so far has been 33, and even though his numbers improved this past season to the point where people consider him ready, his durability and upside (only played 26 games, and had several injuries if I recall correctly) remain questions that I would hope he could answer before he claims the #1 spot for good.

Darling may have benefited from being on a strong Hawks team but with his late-bloomer potential alone (agreed with the possible Jones/ Talbot comparisons) I would hope that he could split duties with Jacob.  With two youngish goalies with potential and on shorter term contracts, I'd give each of them half the games to see whether either of them could handle a starter's workload and 2) buy time until Demko takes the reins, in which case we could trade the lesser of the two vets.  If one of these could clearly emerge as a #1 in the short term (Demko should be the long-term plan anyways) that would also free the other vet to be moved for other assets, or at worst we'd have a Bernier/ Reimer type combo (neither is a full-on starter but both can get the job done, and on a rebuilding team just having viable talent with potential is more important than spending too much to solidify the position when the team should be stockpiling futures anyways).  Part of the reason why people didn't want Miller on a big-money deal was because it showed management's foolish desire to compete in the short term, and bringing in a vet would prevent youthful goalies from having enough meaningful playing time.  A Darling - Marky combo would be a solid idea, both in terms of having NHL-ready talent and in being forward-thinking.      

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

I'd bring in Scott Darling.

With the showing that Marky Mark has shown so far, I'm still not convinced that he's a workhorse #1 as people are trying to make him out to be.  His career high in games played so far has been 33, and even though his numbers improved this past season to the point where people consider him ready, his durability and upside (only played 26 games, and had several injuries if I recall correctly) remain questions that I would hope he could answer before he claims the #1 spot for good.

Darling may have benefited from being on a strong Hawks team but with his late-bloomer potential alone (agreed with the possible Jones/ Talbot comparisons) I would hope that he could split duties with Jacob.  With two youngish goalies with potential and on shorter term contracts, I'd give each of them half the games to see whether either of them could handle a starter's workload and 2) buy time until Demko takes the reins, in which case we could trade the lesser of the two vets.  If one of these could clearly emerge as a #1 in the short term (Demko should be the long-term plan anyways) that would also free the other vet to be moved for other assets, or at worst we'd have a Bernier/ Reimer type combo (neither is a full-on starter but both can get the job done, and on a rebuilding team just having viable talent with potential is more important than spending too much to solidify the position when the team should be stockpiling futures anyways).  Part of the reason why people didn't want Miller on a big-money deal was because it showed management's foolish desire to compete in the short term, and bringing in a vet would prevent youthful goalies from having enough meaningful playing time.  A Darling - Marky combo would be a solid idea, both in terms of having NHL-ready talent and in being forward-thinking.      

Darling said he wants to be a starter next season.  

5 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Trade for Niemi or even Lehtonen and acquire an asset for taking on their cap. 

Something like:

Pedan and/or Rodin Rights for Niemi + Ott 2nd round pick

Pedan and/or Rodin Rights for Lehtonen + Dal 2nd round pick + MTL 4th round pick

So more money invested in goal tending this year vs last season?

How do you make it work cap wise?

3 hours ago, Toni Zamboni said:

miller number 1 with 1 year ext.

marky as back up.

That's what I'd say... 

If Miller wants north of 4.5 and more than 1-2 years, then let him walk and use Bachman as the backup. As much as I respect Miller, IMO part of the ALL MAN team in Canucks history... we shouldn't commit to anything more than that. 

FYI - here's my All Man team. Luongo, although without a doubt, he is one of the top 5 greatest goalies of all time (Hasek, Roy, Brodeur, Lundqvist), he's no man that Miller proved to be. 

Line 1: 

Alex Burrows Trevor Linden Todd Bertuzzi

Sami Salo - Kevin Bieksa
Ryan Miller 

9 minutes ago, apollo said:

That's what I'd say... 

If Miller wants north of 4.5 and more than 1-2 years, then let him walk and use Bachman as the backup. As much as I respect Miller, IMO part of the ALL MAN team in Canucks history... we shouldn't commit to anything more than that. 

FYI - here's my All Man team. Luongo, although without a doubt, he is one of the top 5 greatest goalies of all time (Hasek, Roy, Brodeur, Lundqvist), he's no man that Miller proved to be. 

Line 1: 

Alex Burrows Trevor Linden Todd Bertuzzi

Sami Salo - Kevin Bieksa
Ryan Miller 

What did Pat Riley say?

If the game was on the line, there's nobody else I'd want to take the last shot than Michael Jordan.

If *MY LIFE* was on the line, there's nobody else I'd want to take the last shot than Larry Bird.

I guess Miller is more like Bird to you? :P

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

What did Pat Riley say?

If the game was on the line, there's nobody else I'd want to take the last shot than Michael Jordan.

If *MY LIFE* was on the line, there's nobody else I'd want to take the last shot than Larry Bird.

I guess Miller is more like Bird to you? :P

Talking "all man" ... guts and glory type of guys... guys that are man enough to stand up for their team mates no matter what. Miller proved that and then some in his 3 years here. If I was doing an all star canucks team it would probably be below 

Daniel - Henrik - Bure 

Ohlund - JovoCop

Luongo 

(Naslund/Cooker extra attacker... goalie pulled!) 

Just now, apollo said:

Talking "all man" ... guts and glory type of guys... guys that are man enough to stand up for their team mates no matter what. Miller proved that and then some in his 3 years here. If I was doing an all star canucks team it would probably be below 

Daniel - Henrik - Bure 

Ohlund - JovoCop

Luongo 

(Naslund/Cooker extra attacker... goalie pulled!) 

I liked Cookie but that was one of his problems when he was a Canuck; started **** but had to rely on others to fight his battles.  I think AV had a problem with that as well.

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I liked Cookie but that was one of his problems when he was a Canuck; started **** but had to rely on others to fight his battles.  I think AV had a problem with that as well.

Always loved him. He had some major clutch goals so I chose him as an extra attacker if the goalie was pulled! 

MATT COOKE! CASHING IN...... 5.7 seconds to go... and they're still alive! Best memory from my elementary school years... get chills everytime 

Gino has to be at least an honorable mention btw on your list.

There's nobody else I'd want backing me up if I walk in a dark alley than him.

Backing up your teammates?  Heck, he'll take on the entire team:

He'd probably get a suspension for 10000 games nowadays if he did that LOL

I think Miller will be the starter, and Markstrom will back up again.  The benefit here is that even though Miller wont cover up the fact that this will be a bottom 5 team, he can help mask it and the young players should have a chance to be in most games.

What they should do...   Use the cap space to take on bad contracts with draft picks , and/or hand out 1 year deals to a couple journeymen like paranteau or stafford wholl be sure to become TDL fodder.  This would also allow for us to see whats really there in Markstrom.  In that case, I think someone whom is not a threat to take his job would be good, so Ill say Bachman.  Marky Mark has solid history now with coach Green, and should have his trust right off the bat.

50 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Trade for Niemi or even Lehtonen and acquire an asset for taking on their cap. 

Something like:

Pedan and/or Rodin Rights for Niemi + Ott 2nd round pick

Pedan and/or Rodin Rights for Lehtonen + Dal 2nd round pick + MTL 4th round pick

I'd be game for something like that but I'd want a hell of a lot more than a late 2nd for taking on either of those boat anchors and helping DAL out of their goal tending/cap nightmare.

Especially after how they f'd us on the Hamhuis deal AND if we're sending them Pedan/Rodin rights.

Both their goalies have NTC's too...

30 minutes ago, mll said:

So more money invested in goal tending this year vs last season?

How do you make it work cap wise?

Both of those goalies only have one year left on the books.  Only 3 players will get raises,  Bo will likely get 6. Guddy should get one year around 4. And Marky extension kicks in.  Sbisa likely gets claimed by LV

Other than that, it's all ELC taking up space, which gives canucks room to absorb that cap. 

Sedins Eriksson =20

Granlund Sutter (ELC) = 6.175

Baertschi Horvat (ELC) = 8.8

(ELC) Shore Dorsett = 4.65

Gaunce Megna = 1.575

Edler Tanev = 9.45

Hutton Gudbranson = 6.8

Biega Stecher = 1.6

Juolevi/Pedan =1.5

Marky + niemi = 8.16

Retain/buyouts =1.8

=70.5 or 72 with Lehtonen

Early reports think the cap next season will be around 76 million.

Archived