The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Back-Up Plan

thejazz97

Who do you want to see as the back-up next season?  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

I'd be game for something like that but I'd want a hell of a lot more than a late 2nd for taking on either of those boat anchors and helping DAL out of their goal tending/cap nightmare.

Especially after how they f'd us on the Hamhuis deal AND if we're sending them Pedan/Rodin rights.

Both their goalies have NTC's too...

Yeah it would be nice to get some revenge on them

4 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Yeah it would be nice to get some revenge on them

I don't even care about revenge so much but I'm sure not lining up to help them out off their goal tending fiasco for a mere 2nd.

Especially if we're sending them Pedan/Rodin too. 

4 hours ago, hatedkid666 said:

Don't think Bachman will last over a full season, especially considering how he could end up playing a decent amount of games if Markstrom doesn't pan out.

Completely agree with this.  Canucks need another NHL goalie (Darling, Elliot, whoever).  Love Bachman as a number 3 but if Markstrom gets injured or plays really poorly, I have doubts Bachman would hold up for very long (and I want Demko to spend the majority of the year in Utica like this year).

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

I don't even care about revenge so much but I'm sure not lining up to help them out off their goal tending fiasco for a mere 2nd.

Especially if we're sending them Pedan/Rodin too. 

Well if you look at other cap dumps team gave up a lot more than Pedan/Rodin. 

Hurricanes got teravainen for bickell but they also gave up a 2nd and 3rd round pick back.

Yotes got larson in the Bolland trade but they also gave up a 2nd and 3rd round pick back

I'd prefer to keep our picks maybe expend the conditional 4th, but their own 2nd round pick is a 39th overall.  Maybe we could get them to add in another pick in 2018 or retain a bit of cap, or maybe, just maybe get them to throw in Nichushkins rights but i think it will come down to how desperate they are to shed cap.  I mean what would they be willing to give vegas as compensation to draft one of those two goalies.   

The whole goalie situation is kind of up in the air right now in Vancouver. There are two NHL caliber goalies under contract with Backman and Markstrom but there is better talent available as free agents.

Miller, Bernier, Darling.......hmmm.

All in all, Markstrom looks like he could be a starter and Bachman reminds me of Arturs Irbe, a small goalie who doesn't get enough respect but actually puts out pretty respectable results.  

Some of the guys listed as potential backups on the poll would actually be more likely to start so this is a difficult question.

As much as I want Darling, I'd say no to him as he'll cost too much, I like Bernier, he works hard. I like Miller too but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't like Vancouver if there is a chance to backup a playoff team next year. 

To make a long story short, I'll say other....Luongo can return an split starts with Markstrom.::D

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

According to the another thread, we need more "toughness"....so why not use Cloutier as the backup goalie?

Nobody (well, maybe Hextall) went bat**** crazy when you provoked him sufficiently!:lol:

:P

Actually yeah.. I think we do NEED more toughness - so I started that thread to ask other CDC'ers. Were you the poster who disliked such terms(toughness, grit, etc...?). Some people might like Burke's truculence, or belligerence(?)..whatever flavour suits, I guess? "What's in a name?", & all that...

At any rate, the term is listed in my trusted Oxford Dicionary, albeit defined as Old English. Folks may quibble over terminology, as our roster will probably carry on apologizing, Charmin-soft as a baby's butt.

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Actually yeah.. I think we do NEED more toughness - so I started that thread to ask other CDC'ers. Were you the poster who disliked such terms(toughness, grit, etc...?). Some people might like Burke's truculence, or belligerence(?)..whatever flavour suits, I guess? "What's in a name?", & all that...

At any rate, the term is listed in my trusted Oxford Dicionary, albeit defined as Old English. Folks may quibble over terminology, as our roster will probably carry on apologizing, Charmin-soft as a baby's butt.

I have you know I have the complete collection of:

5 hours ago, mll said:

Darling is expected to be a starter next year.

How are you counting cap space?  

The Canucks use the full cap with Burrows and Miller and Hansen so 12.5M coming off the books.  Dorsett and Gudbranson are no longer on LTIR next year.

They've already used 4M (increases to Hutton and Markstrom) - it leaves 8.5M for the increase to Horvat and Gudbranson, a backup goalie and two roster players for Burrows and Hansen.  

Move a D or lose one to Vegas could create some space but unless they plan bigger changes to the roster I don't see where there is 6M.

6M would be a huge overpayment for Darling, putting him up their with very good to elite number ones who've payed their dues.  Maybe I am wrong but I would think 3 years around 3million would be enough. Despite their early exit CHI had another good year and is a top team, like Talbot did his first year in EDM if he signs with a bottom team his stats will take a beating.  Vancouver could make that work, the Hansen and Burrows spots will be replace with guys we've already signed with ELCs, Guddy won't get more than one more million, which leaves plenty of money for Miller or replacement Miller and Horvat.  Next year the Sedins will free up another 7-14 million so there's money coming too.  Personally I would prefer if they just go with Markstrom and let Miller walk though.

Miller said he loves being a Canuck and wants to be here, thus no being traded at deadline. Yet, reports are he wants to go somewhere else. Mixed signals. So, no thanks for me.

Not sure Bachman can handle are large amount of playing time. There will be goalies on the market so if management doesn't want to go with Markstrom and Bachman they can shop this off season. No NTC, and no big, long term contracts. Can't get a someone good on a good deal then go with what we have an suffer what is going to be a hard season again and wait for the young guys to arrive at the show.

3 hours ago, apollo said:

Always loved him. He had some major clutch goals so I chose him as an extra attacker if the goalie was pulled! 

MATT COOKE! CASHING IN...... 5.7 seconds to go... and they're still alive! Best memory from my elementary school years... get chills everytime 

with jovo in the penalty box and half the fans leaving the building...priceless.

4 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Both of those goalies only have one year left on the books.  Only 3 players will get raises,  Bo will likely get 6. Guddy should get one year around 4. And Marky extension kicks in.  Sbisa likely gets claimed by LV

Other than that, it's all ELC taking up space, which gives canucks room to absorb that cap. 

Sedins Eriksson =20

Granlund Sutter (ELC) = 6.175

Baertschi Horvat (ELC) = 8.8

(ELC) Shore Dorsett = 4.65

Gaunce Megna = 1.575

Edler Tanev = 9.45

Hutton Gudbranson = 6.8

Biega Stecher = 1.6

Juolevi/Pedan =1.5

Marky + niemi = 8.16

Retain/buyouts =1.8

=70.5 or 72 with Lehtonen

Early reports think the cap next season will be around 76 million.

Moving Sbisa does open up options re cap space. 

Not sure I see Vegas picking him though with the Ds available.  He's UFA in a year too.  But I guess a trade is always possible.

They want to play a high tempo offensive game - so speed but also quick decision making.  I think they'll take someone for their farm team - 7 players at least will either be traded or sent to the AHL.  So my guess Biega or Bachman as quality vets to help their prospects.  

19 minutes ago, mll said:

Moving Sbisa does open up options re cap space. 

Not sure I see Vegas picking him though with the Ds available.  He's UFA in a year too.  But I guess a trade is always possible.

They want to play a high tempo offensive game - so speed but also quick decision making.  I think they'll take someone for their farm team - 7 players at least will either be traded or sent to the AHL.  So my guess Biega or Bachman as quality vets to help their prospects.  

I would prefer if they didn't take sbisa our D depth would get thin if we hit some injuries.  But even with Sbisa, the projected cap is said to be 75.5 -76.  http://www.thescore.com/news/1249130

So if Niemi only takes us to 70.5, we can afford Sbisa and his 3.6.  Although I wouldn't be against a trade to open up space too.

15 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Well if you look at other cap dumps team gave up a lot more than Pedan/Rodin. 

Hurricanes got teravainen for bickell but they also gave up a 2nd and 3rd round pick back.

Yotes got larson in the Bolland trade but they also gave up a 2nd and 3rd round pick back

I'd prefer to keep our picks maybe expend the conditional 4th, but their own 2nd round pick is a 39th overall.  Maybe we could get them to add in another pick in 2018 or retain a bit of cap, or maybe, just maybe get them to throw in Nichushkins rights but i think it will come down to how desperate they are to shed cap.  I mean what would they be willing to give vegas as compensation to draft one of those two goalies.   

Tanev to DAL for one of their goalies (cap dump and one year tandem with Marky) their 1st and Honka? 

22 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Tanev to DAL for one of their goalies (cap dump and one year tandem with Marky) their 1st and Honka? 

I would say that's fair value for Tanev, but do you think stars would move on Honka.  He's really their only D prospect they have, in fact in the last 4 years he's the only D they've picked in the top 65 (which is strange since their biggest need the last few years have been D). 

Tanev does fit with their core age, saves them some cap space...

but man, that stars roster has so many holes, they really only have 3 forward and Klingberg. 

Hudler (UFA) - Segiun - benn

Hemsky (UFA) - Spezza - Sharp (UFA)

McKenzie - Faska - Shore

Ritchie - Eakin - Cracknell

Hamhuis - Klingberg

Oleksiak - Nemeth

Lindell - Pateryn

Yuk

We go with 6 Skaters!!! :)

Seriously though we could tryout Andrew Hammond. Let's not forget his 2015 run so it shows he can play at a high level playing 20+ games a season. His value is quite low right now so it would be easy to get him from Ottawa. 

59 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I would say that's fair value for Tanev, but do you think stars would move on Honka.  He's really their only D prospect they have, in fact in the last 4 years he's the only D they've picked in the top 65 (which is strange since their biggest need the last few years have been D). 

Tanev does fit with their core age, saves them some cap space...

but man, that stars roster has so many holes, they really only have 3 forward and Klingberg. 

Hudler (UFA) - Segiun - benn

Hemsky (UFA) - Spezza - Sharp (UFA)

McKenzie - Faska - Shore

Ritchie - Eakin - Cracknell

Hamhuis - Klingberg

Oleksiak - Nemeth

Lindell - Pateryn

Yuk

We could send them say Subban back to replace the D prospect but then they'd need to add say a 3rd. We also have an awful lot of wingers coming if they'd prefer one back (in an even larger deal).

Archived