The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sportsnet buys 650 CISL - New all sports station in the fall!!

jj99

29 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

Big Bob McCown fan here. Love the idea of MCCown on the radio.

Awesome. Not many of us around here.

I'd be more than happy to listen to Bob's show on the new station. People who complain that Primetime Sports is all Leafs, Raptors and Jay's don't actually listen to the show's. 

34 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

I don't know who they are but I'd be all for hiring them then and putting them on air. What we have now is pathetic. Something like the Pipeline Show here would be great. Bringing in hockey nerds like Loubardias and Millard is what I'm thinking.

Now we're talking. Would love Millard, but he's got a pretty full schedule at the mother station. But hope this is the calibre of talent they consider.

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I'd assume similar branding to the Toronto and Calgary stations:

IMG_0641.JPG.0d46b0f7e32e96654001248950d0bb36.JPGIMG_0642.thumb.JPG.a1f6c4e1b9d2dbd5189e3b62f58fbeb7.JPG

So it'll be "Sportsnet 650 - The Fan."

37 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

The Fan 650 Vancouver is my guess.

oh okay good to know.  thanks guys :)

I hope they somehow boost the signal so we can get more coverage in vic.  1040 is hard to hear all staticy.  we usually hear games that are fed through cfax 1070.  

5 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I hope they somehow boost the signal so we can get more coverage in vic.  1040 is hard to hear all staticy.  we usually hear games that are fed through cfax 1070.  

You can always listen to Vancouver radio online or via cable though I think. At least you always could. Check around for that.

17 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

Now we're talking. Would love Millard, but he's got a pretty full schedule at the mother station. But hope this is the calibre of talent they consider.

Yeah, that's the whole problem with the Vancouver sports media in a nutshell; nobody knows a damned thing about the game they're  trying to cover and it's painfully obvious. This problem has been endemic to the market going back to the sixties and it creates a stupidity bubble that contaminates the discourse in town. I'm a broken record on this but Grant Kerr of Canadian Press newswire service is the only hockey expert that has ever worked in the Vancouver market, and that was in the sixties and seventies. We simply don't have a Millard/Loubardias hockey expert type working here locally, I really think we should import a couple of them for the new station. Try something different.

10 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

Not me, I've been a Jays fan from the get go and all Canucks would get tiresome. Hopefully they can bring in some new talent, hopefully with a local connection, that actually knows the game. 

No worries, Jays-talk can take the 1AM-6AM timeslot -- exclusive, even.  May also be granted an aggregate of 2 minutes per hour in sports updates.

It will be very interesting to see who they get to fill the air waves. 

I seriously doubt they get a PxP for Canucks game. I see them piggy backing off the regular Sportsnet feed with Shorthouse and Garrett to save money. 

I don't see anyone from TSN1040 jumping ship. No one from TSN jumped to Sportsnet when Rogers won the national broadcasting rights. 

So who does that leave? Dan Russell, Brook Ward, John Abbott, 

I don't see Don Taylor leaving TSN after Rogers phased him out on Sportsnet Pacific

1 hour ago, Barnorth said:

We should start a community CDC radio station where you sign a time and can go on air lol

It will be just like the current post-game call-in segment. Infuriating but a car crash that you can't stop listening to.

28 minutes ago, canucks.bradley said:

I seriously doubt they get a PxP for Canucks game. I see them piggy backing off the regular Sportsnet feed with Shorthouse and Garrett to save money. 

I don't see anyone from TSN1040 jumping ship. No one from TSN jumped to Sportsnet when Rogers won the national broadcasting rights. 

I don't see Don Taylor leaving TSN after Rogers phased him out on Sportsnet Pacific

You should hand in your crystal ball then if that's what you see. Too much doom and gloom. Realistically the Canucks' rights guarantees Rogers the largest share of the market. Whoever the talkers are is secondary to that really. If the buffoons at TSN 1040 think they're the show by themselves then they're in for a rude awakening.

17 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

You should hand in your crystal ball then if that's what you see. Too much doom and gloom. Realistically the Canucks' rights guarantees Rogers the largest share of the market. Whoever the talkers are is secondary to that really. If the buffoons at TSN 1040 think they're the show by themselves then they're in for a rude awakening.

Of course Canucks is primary. But why have 4 broadcasters on payroll when they can easily get away with Shorty and Garett. You have already seen Rogers condensing regional broadcasts on tv into one national show. I hope I am wrong but in a cost saving era, it makes sense. 

Who do you see jumping ship/joining the Rogers team? I am actually curious. (no sarcasm here)

8 minutes ago, canucks.bradley said:

Of course Canucks is primary. But why have 4 broadcasters on payroll when they can easily get away with Shorty and Garett. You have already seen Rogers condensing regional broadcasts on tv into one national show. I hope I am wrong but in a cost saving era, it makes sense. 

Who do you see jumping ship/joining the Rogers team? I am actually curious. (no sarcasm here)

I guess simulcasting some tv casts is a possibility but I hadn't really considered that. I can see the old Rogers connection (and a lucrative payday) luring Taylor back home to Rogers, perhaps Rintoul and B-Mac as well. Don Taylor is really the only guy worth poaching there, I can see Brad Fay coming home from Toronto to do a radio gig, perhaps some other guys from the Rogers tv side. How about Mornings With Irf and Murph (I actually coined the Irf and Murph handle here on the forum and it gravitated over to the network from here believe it or not). What I really hope they do, as I mentioned earlier, is bring in some real hockey people from out of market. We really don't have anyone like that around here.

11 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Lame that they'll do the jays as well.  That means from 3pm - 8pm it'll be jays pregame / game / and post game most days in the summer when a lot of their audience will be driving home from work.

Yep. I hate baseball. Dont think ill be tuning in much. Ill stick with 1040 thanks. 

2 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I hart radio app. Doesnt use much data if u have a decent plan. 

We don't need 3 Sports Talk Radio Stations in Vancouver.   Why don't we get rid of 1410 and use that station for Oldie music?   No one listens to 1410 anyway and they are always at the bottom of ratings.  1410 used to be call CFUN, a rock station in the 1960's.

7 hours ago, canucks.bradley said:

Doesn't have to be local guys does it?

But I agree,  I think they'll simply piggy back off of one of their syndicated shows like Primetime Sports then fill in the rest with Canucks games and a skeleton crew in house. 

Unlike many on here, I don't care about listening to someone "local" or who "knows the city".  I'm a sports fan and actually enjoy listening to good "sports talk" covering a variety of sports. Bring in a Darren Millard type guy to host his own show with maybe a John Shannon (whose from BC) and I'd be ecstatic. 

Sooo... Canucks and Blue Jays coverage??  Really?  So what will happen if the Canucks are in the playoffs and a Blue Jays game overlaps?  Somehow I get the feeling the Canucks game would be set aside for Blue Jays coverage lol.

Archived