The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sportsnet buys 650 CISL - New all sports station in the fall!!

jj99

4 hours ago, DonLever said:

We don't need 3 Sports Talk Radio Stations in Vancouver.   Why don't we get rid of 1410 and use that station for Oldie music?   No one listens to 1410 anyway and they are always at the bottom of ratings.  1410 used to be call CFUN, a rock station in the 1960's.

1410 will and should fold. 1410 was brought in to allow for broadcasts of both Lions and Whitecaps on Canuck game days. With the Canucks now out of the equation, 1040 will become the home of Lions and Whitecaps. I can see CISL take 1410 if they want to continue

10 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

I guess simulcasting some tv casts is a possibility but I hadn't really considered that. I can see the old Rogers connection (and a lucrative payday) luring Taylor back home to Rogers, perhaps Rintoul and B-Mac as well. Don Taylor is really the only guy worth poaching there, I can see Brad Fay coming home from Toronto to do a radio gig, perhaps some other guys from the Rogers tv side. How about Mornings With Irf and Murph (I actually coined the Irf and Murph handle here on the forum and it gravitated over to the network from here believe it or not). What I really hope they do, as I mentioned earlier, is bring in some real hockey people from out of market. We really don't have anyone like that around here.

Oh I forgot about Rintoul. Would love if he was brought on board. I would love some new voices from out of market. These will be interesting times. I am really curious to see how much money Rogers sinks into this!

Just looked at the schedule for Sportsnet960...looks kind of sad =(

Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 9.21.50 AM.png

21 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Some nights I like to have the radio on a bit while going to sleep.  Unless there is a Canuck post-game show it's always NBA, NFL, or College football talk.  Meh.

That's where I miss the old Sportstalk with Dan Russell, 10pm - midnight!!

1 hour ago, canucks.bradley said:

Oh I forgot about Rintoul. Would love if he was brought on board. I would love some new voices from out of market. These will be interesting times. I am really curious to see how much money Rogers sinks into this!

Lol hockey central and their 1min laugh fest at the Canucks..back to all Leaf talk.

1 hour ago, canucks.bradley said:

Pretty much what we'll get here.

Except for:

Short morning slot for Irf and Murph show.

Big afternoon slot for Millard and Loubardias.

I'm more than OK with this.

The only show that anyone should be listening to is the Patcast with Paterson and Botchford. I realize I just alienated 80% of this message board, but honestly it's the best honest Canucks discussion available right now. You either like entertaining, honest discussion, or you like bland organiziational mouthpiece banter. To each their own.

On 4/25/2017 at 0:34 PM, apollo said:

Poor personalities on 1040? At least they have guys that know something about BC and Vancouver in general. 

I'll probably never tune it to this toronto garbage. At least we had Donny, Pratt, Rintoul, Price... all guys that actually know something about the city... whether you like what they say or not...

Don't really get why people hate these guys so much. 

Im not a fan of Bro Jake but that's mostly because he's more of a rock personality smashed into a random sports role for some odd reason, also find his humor dumb.

the others are pretty knowledgeable overall and one thing that all the shows do well is accept callers throughout the day to talk. You may not agree with them all the time but that's the point of talk radio!

I miss rintoul, hope he gets a job with the new Sportsnet radio

6 hours ago, Great Granny said:

The only show that anyone should be listening to is the Patcast with Paterson and Botchford. I realize I just alienated 80% of this message board, but honestly it's the best honest Canucks discussion available right now. You either like entertaining, honest discussion, or you like bland organiziational mouthpiece banter. To each their own.

Pat cast is awesome lol..

their stuff on tryamkin is gold

While Pat is arrogant as hell and botch is the most negative person you'll meet, those two together are pretty halarious.

That said 1040 has some great regular guests like Bobfather and Button, JB and TL are always good to hear from, and it's always interesting to hear some of the callers with their opinions ludicrous or not.

I don't care for much of the Blue Jays to be honest. 

Don't mind local sports - Canucks, 'Caps, Lions (even though I don't follow them either), Giants, Canadians, Stealth. 

Ugh. Too bad we don't have an NBA and MLB team like our cousins out east. would die to cheer for a local team in those sporting markets. 

On 2017-04-25 at 11:16 AM, Aircool said:

It would tank if they had intelligent discussion. Remember, we're making the playoffs next year, and if you tell those who think like most on these boards otherwise, well they won't listen I bet. They'll be like, that guy is an idiot, he's not even from Vancouver, he's from Ontario. LOL... could you imagine? Because I just did.

Edit: AND AS I POST THIS.... LOL.... Your last post is AMAZINGLY TIMED!!!

Bah!  65 points!?!?!? Those eastern blogger hacks don't know $&!#!

As I'd hoped,  rumours out of the big smoke have John Shannon coming home to host a show.  

Love it. Love everything about it. 

He's a legit guy with experience in all aspects of the game. Hopefully he brings Darren Millard with him. 

Those of you wanting to spend 4 hours listening to what people's favourite chocolate bars are or bad bathroom etiquette, can still get all that on tsn radio. I'll be moving down the dial.

Solid move if it happens. Hopefully just the start. 

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/is-john-shannon-a-fit-for-coming-to-vancouver-sportsnet-650-radio

8 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

As I'd hoped,  rumours out of the big smoke have John Shannon coming home to host a show.  

Love it. Love everything about it. 

He's a legit guy with experience in all aspects of the game. Hopefully he brings Darren Millard with him.

I don't mind him, but as for insight remember this gem from him?

On 3/9/2016 at 8:57 PM, Mackcanuck said:

WTF!

CdKS1qxWoAAN85h.jpg

If he comes here, either he needs to up his game or simply get informed about the Canucks.

My prediction for Sportsnet 650:

Either Joey Kenward will get the Play-by-play position or.. perhaps we will see someone like Blake Price or Jeff Patterson get a shot? I don't see them picking up Jon Abbott as he is the voice of the World Juniors for TSN.

I think Dave Tomlinson is hired by Sportsnet, his colour commentary is one of the best in my opinion and would be sad to see him not get the job.

I think they may have an arrangement where Shorty calls games that he doesn't get to call on TV on radio, perhaps bring Garrett in as well to allow the two to remain as the core duo all season long?

• 2 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 10:53 AM, jj99 said:

Canucks and Jays ----- but best of all hopefully the end of some of the terrible on air personalities at 1040.

I listened to these guys for a long time and I couldn't disagree more. Could you be more specific? Like who exactly? What did they say? I'm not saying your entirely wrong they could be on the negative side sometimes and droned on and on about the same topic for too long, but so does everyone else. New doesn't always mean better. I know the last thing we need is a station with spineless jellyfish hosts, yes-men who never question the direction of the team.

Archived