The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TSN 1040 - Ray Ferraro's take on former teammate Travis Green

Rush17

This is a must listen too for any fan wanting to learn more about Travis Green.  He goes in depth about Travis entering the league on the same islanders team Ray was apart of.  He talks about the transformation of Green as a player and how it has impacted him as a coach.  If you have any doubts or concerns with Travis Green.  This is the best source for learning about him available.  Ray speaks very high of him but breaks down why and how he feels he is an ideal fit with the team given its firm direction of getting younger and accepting a rebuild. 

Title:

Ferraro: Travis Green is a great communicator, innovative, progressive

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/ferraro-travis-green-is-a-great-communicator-innovative-progressive-1.734502

if someone would like to break this down into a point form breakdown. I will quote you in the main topic so others can get a feel for it.  This is truly insightful interview.  This one has 10 x the content of all the other talking heads.  Apparently Green and Ferraro grew up only 20 minutes from one another to bout.  Despite Ray being a little older.   He goes into how Green use to be a lazy player and learned how to become a pro.  Kind of similar to the story of Jake in a round about way.  That is why I believe Jake has had the transformation he has this year in Utica. Give it a try if you want to learn more about Greener.  Hopefully this time tomorrow we will know if he is our future coach.  Look forward to any potential announcements come tomorrow.

Cheers.

Long form summary:

On 4/26/2017 at 7:22 AM, Mr.53 said:

Some highlights on the interview. Very insightful. Ferraro is a smart man. (Warning, LONG READ)

Green was a very skilled offensive player before being a second round pick by the Islanders. He was supposed to be a top 6 forward kind of guy, but got stuck behind some solid depth. In order to play the coaching staff told him he needed to learn how to check, grind down opponents, play defence, etc. Basically he needed to learn to play a different role than he was used too. He basically went from being a lazy gifted scoring forward, to a hard working two-way player that would be tasked with matching up against Mario Lemieux in the finals. That is some serious growth. Remember this. This will be something that shows to be huge in many areas.

Something that Ferraro talks about is the reason he is able to get through to so many different players is because he has been so many different types of players throughout his life. He was always a great communicator but on top of that he has been the, lazy offensive scoring guy, the grind it out and play defence guy, the hard working guy, etc. He is very innovative in his thinking because he has personally been through it all and understands how to communicate and get to the kid.

Green will have an easier time than Willie because the Canucks are finally accepting the idea of a rebuild without saying it. It's not necessarily Willie's fault, but he had to try and balance two worlds at the same time, while Travis Green will be fortunate enough to have a more solid direction.

Absolutely no chance he gives ice time away without earning. He's not the kind of guy that will bench you after a mistake, but he will not give you anything for free you don't earn. But he is great at coaching up players and getting them to buy in. If not, he will walk past the player, as any coach would, but no, he will not be giving ice time for free.

Huge chance for Travis. Coming in when the Canucks are at the bottom right now with all of our young talent, he has no where to go but up. There's a solid chance that if he can turn things around, we could be seeing Green as our coach for a long, long time, as he makes the Canucks 'his team' so to speak. Of course, if he sucks, the Canucks are not a franchise to be hesitant to fire a guy if he doesn't perform well, but again, he's very fortunate that we are going into a rebuild so to speak so he may have a little more leeway on say, missing the playoffs for the first few years. At this stage it's more about showing year to year progression of the young players into impact players and that the system is starting to become second nature, will determine his success.

Ferraro says one thing he always says about Travis is, "I think one of the things these players are going to find out about Greenie (He calls him Greenie) is that if they think they're in shape? Or that they've already worked hard? They might get those eyes opened. Ask any of those kids in Utica about how he runs his practices or his conditioning." Again, he points out the reasoning for this being that he was a lazy player who flipped the switch. (*cough* Virtanen *cough*) The only reason he played 15 years is because he flipped the switch and became a monster in the gym and when it came to conditioning. Expect that for his players as well.

Talks about with the vets we have, and the personality Green has, don't expect another year like this. It's just not in their nature. And if it is in their nature, (to accept failure and losing seasons) they will be traded because that's not the type of people Green wants around. (Who would?)

Don't blame Green for the lack of NHL alumni he has created. Ferraro credits that to bad drafting. Credits Green for actually doing well with what they had. They stripped their system, left him with nothing for a while and he did well. He gives Green a lot of credit for basically masking the playoffs with 8 defensmen one year. Next year Utica/Vancouver's affiliate will finally be back to having some good solid prospects to fill out a team, rather than the occasional player or 2. Whoever, get's that job will have it much easier than Green had it.

They talk about Jake Virtanen specifically and his conditioning. Very interesting part. As we all know, he's lost 20 pounds over the course of this season. First of all, Ferraro mentions, how in the world did Virtanen even get 20 pounds heavy to shed that in a year. To be able to shed 20 pounds in a year is an impressive feat, and not necessarily for the right reasons. He should never have gotten 20 pounds heavy in the first place. He puts the blame on both Virtanen and the organization. One, as a player, come on, you should know better. Come to camp in shape for gods sake. And as an organization, did you have nobody watching him? You had no coaches working out with him making sure his conditioning was good? Or simply someone to make sure he's in shape. Cutting 20 pounds in a season is nearly impossible unless something went horribly, horribly wrong in your conditioning. Credits Travis to getting him back in shape. He had him and his players do conditioning after every game before they got on the bus. The message was, "we will get to the performance part later, right now, we need to develop into pros." Which I don't think anyone can deny, helped JV.

Don't worry about a kid starting out in Utica. That is normal and a good sign. (Good sign if they are still pushing on the gates, kind of like Stecher did) What is important for next year is developing these players so then Green can see the pieces he's got, and put them together like a puzzle. Before they did not have the luxury to do that because they didn't have a deep team or deep prospects. Before we were playing too many guys that should have been in the AHL but had to move up. That's starting to change with the recent injection of prospects and players.

Now we are past a decade into the salary cap. Now teams are finally figuring out all the ins and outs, and there are really no more secrets or real surprises on how to work the cap anymore. But he talks about what the Canucks need to focus on, (which I think Benning has been doing) is not this top 5 pick we are guaranteed at getting, but our 2nd and 3rd round picks. Those are what he calls the "Money Picks." If you can turn a couple 2nds and 3rds into NHL players, (like Travis Green was) then you'll have a contending team. Even with just top players, yo'ull end up signing too many free agents to fill the gaps, lose your cap space or get stuck with bad contracts etc. You need those players who can come in, homegrown, and be a legitimate NHL body. The Canucks have done a terrible job converting those picks, but it's turning around. Before, pre salary cap, and older rules, you could simply buy your way out of a hole. Now once you dig the hole, you're stuck in it. You need 2nd and 3rd round like guys to fill those gaps so you don't have too. The Canucks have 3 picks in the 2nd and 3rd round this year I believe. We have to make them convert.

The league has changed to really the only advantage money has is non salary cap stuff. By that I mean, big market teams like a Vancouver can't just go buying free agents anymore. Instead they have to go the Toronto route and spend boatloads of money on everything else, like facilities, the AHL team, medical staff. He points to Toronto as an example, one because they are one of the only teams with the financial means to do so, but literally everything about that franchise, they spend top dollar on. The kids in the AHL have access to the best coaches, the best staff, the best facilities, the best this the best that. Hell, if someone coughs on the Leafs they have a team of doctors making sure they're ok. They even have the most scouts working around the clock. They just have the money to spend and have been making the investment. Vancouver is still a top market, they need to do the same or similar.

Heard this earlier today. 

What I like most is that Ferraro said that every kind of player a coach will see -- lazy, hard-working, skilled, gritty, rookie, grizzled vet -- Green has been, at one time or another in his 15 year playing career, that guy. That's important in that he can tailor his message to whoever the specific player is.

Ferraro didn't mention it, but Green's also made about 1/3 of a million gambling at poker, so he obviously has good intuition and assessment for mathematical probabilities on the fly, something that isn't talked about enough as a strength for head coaches.

I'm happy with the hire.

8 minutes ago, HI5 said:

People actually take Ray Ferraro seriously?

he was a top 100 nhl point getter when he retired. I would care to say he knows more then the majority of us.  he's a good dude and lives on Vancouver.

25 minutes ago, Barry_Wilkins said:

What I like most is that Ferraro said that every kind of player a coach will see -- lazy, hard-working, skilled, gritty, rookie, grizzled vet -- Green has been, at one time or another in his 15 year playing career, that guy. That's important in that he can tailor his message to whoever the specific player is.

Ferraro didn't mention it, but Green's also made about 1/3 of a million gambling at poker, so he obviously has good intuition and assessment for mathematical probabilities on the fly, something that isn't talked about enough as a strength for head coaches.

I'm happy with the hire.

If thats really true, thats not nothing. Its a good demonstration of strategic thinking and keeping more than one thing in your head at one time (like "Megna"). 

2 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

he was a top 100 nhl point getter when he retired. I would care to say he knows more then the majority of us.  he's a good dude and lives on Vancouver.

I've never really been a fan, but ya you could always go with he's played the game arguement etc.

Though with that logic..now would Joe Sakic be GM of the year candidate? 

48 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

This is a must listen too for any fan wanting to learn more about Travis Green.  He goes in depth about Travis entering the league on the same islanders team Ray was apart of.  He talks about the transformation of Green as a player and how it has impacted him as a coach.  If you have any doubts or concerns with Travis Green.  This is the best source for learning about him available.  Ray speaks very high of him but breaks down why and how he feels he is an ideal fit with the team given its firm direction of getting younger and accepting a rebuild. 

Title:

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/ferraro-travis-green-is-a-great-communicator-innovative-progressive-1.734502

if someone would like to break this down into a point form breakdown. I will quote you in the main topic so others can get a feel for it.  This is truly insightful interview.  This one has 10 x the content of all the other talking heads.  Apparently Green and Ferraro grew up only 20 minutes from one another to bout.  Despite Ray being a little older.   He goes into how Green use to be a lazy player and learned how to become a pro.  Kind of similar to the story of Jake in a round about way.  That is why I believe Jake has had the transformation he has this year in Utica. Give it a try if you want to learn more about Greener.  Hopefully this time tomorrow we will know if he is our future coach.  Look forward to any potential announcements come tomorrow.

Cheers.

No sound cloud link available quite yet. Will check back tomorrow and update if there is.

Approval GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

24 minutes ago, Barry_Wilkins said:

I'm happy with the hire.

Tom Vu made $1.8 million gambling at poker.  Yes, that Tom Vu:

People here wondering whether Ferraro's opinion is worth anything....

He's usually ripping people - it's his signature -  his name was turned into a verb meaning "to get verbally abused" = Ferraroed.

So when he actually says something positive about someone.....

46 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Title:

Cheers.

No sound cloud link available quite yet. Will check back tomorrow and update if there is.

Thanks for sharing, listening to Ferraro's take on Green was music to my ears. 

Ferraro's my favourite regular 1040 guest by far. Doesn't sugar coat anything, isn't needlessly positive or negative on any topic even when the mood is swinging wildly between those spectrums among our media and our fanbase. He draws well on his experience from his playing days to support his arguments. And I'll always have a special place in my heart for him for putting Pratt in his place.

"It tells me that they've drafted terribly... You can't take a kid that's finger-painting and make him a Picasso."     Ferraro

"How in God's name did he lose 20 pounds?"    Ferraro

"Eating less?"    Taylor

"How did he get to be 20 pounds heavy?"    Ferraro

"Eating more!"     Taylor

19 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

1258 nhl games.

Bob McKenzie - 0 nhl games.

13 minutes ago, Green Building said:

I've always found him to be rather insightful. especially compared to his other talking head coworkers. What reasons do you have to doubt his opinion, besides the fact that he works for TSN?

I just tune him out, been a while actually. Could be his style maybe, not really sure. Figured he'd have a job withan NHL team by now if his opinion was really so worthy. 

Really interesting interview - worth taking the time to listen to.

Ferraro can be really bitter at times - get a bit carried away and isn't always bang on - but you can usually count on a few really good insights - and this interview has it's share.

Jannik Hansen interview on that same link...

Archived