The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TSN 1040 - Ray Ferraro's take on former teammate Travis Green

Rush17

10 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Interesting wallstreet. My experience was watching the 1970 Junior Smoke Eaters win the BC championship. That was junior 'B' hockey that IMO could rival at least BCJHL today. Smoothest live hockey I ever saw. Later when my son went through minor hockey he played against Castlegar, Beaver Valley and the Trail 'B' squad. Needless to say I was always impressed with how good the coaching was.

Another influence that I forgot to mention was the Senior Hockey. Trail Smoke Eaters, Nelson Maple Leafs and Kimberley Dynamiters. Cominco Arena used to rock to some pretty good hockey.    

Absolutely it did. Some of the best hockey I have ever seen was in Cominco Arena. It was an awesome place to grow up in and playing hockey and baseball was just expected lol. I played for Andy Bileski for a lot of years as well. Best coach I ever had in any sport.

8 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Seriously. CDC on average is more insightful then the 1040 media. Most of them don't know their head from their ass. 

thats why i joined CDC. really hopeful the new 650 sport station raises the bar here. 

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Absolutely it did. Some of the best hockey I have ever seen was in Cominco Arena. It was an awesome place to grow up in and playing hockey and baseball was just expected lol. I played for Andy Bileski for a lot of years as well. Best coach I ever had in any sport.

I was at Selkirk College in '70 and the Smoke Eaters had a couple of players going to school there. Ray Aduano (?) is a name I remember.  The interesting point being that Selkirk had a team in a Collegiate league which was also pretty good. They played their home games in Cominco Arena. There was player movement between the Smoke Eaters and the Saints which was not always appreciated by the two fan bases.  

9 hours ago, oldnews said:

up there with 'butthurt' S'all.

Drafting in the Gillis era was poor - it was also predominantly late picks.

They do deserve a bit of credit on a few fronts though.

Gillis identified the need to start transitioning the team - and at least we have Horvat to show for that.  In addition, Hutton was a Gillis 5th round pick, Shinkaruk/Granlund a Gillis pick, Gaunce (who could still be a good NHLer) and Subban were Gillis picks - all from 2012 and 13.  So they improved at the end of his tenure and he made a serious point of getting Horvat into the pipeline.

They also did ok outside the draft with undrafted UFAs ie Tanev, Lack...

ack, you're right. I'll stop using that one.

I think a person can make a reasonable argument Gillis did more harm that good but that was covered thoroughly a few years back. But its hard not to look at Horvat and give Mike some credit there for sure. I think Hutton was a bit of a lotto ticket, no one really thought he'd progress that fast imo. 

I think the pressure of the 2011 loss was too much for him and he made some mistakes at the end there he normally wouldn't have but thats all speculation. 

Just watched Green's interview with Kenward. Wow. He's a breath of fresh air. Ferraro is spot on in his assessment.

I'm very excited to see Green take this group to a new level. If we end up with Nolan Patrick and some good goaltending we could be knocking on the door next year.

More excitingly though, I have a feeling this team is going to look like it can win almost every night. We'll be playing the new NHL style of hockey too.

Some good insights in this interview, was interesting to hear how Green was basically all types of players. 

I'm really curious as to why Ferraro called Green an "innovative" coach though. I guess I'm more curious as to what kind of style he will bring given what he has.

I strongly believe the Sedins still have fight left in the tank; playing under the defense first structure this year and playing with Megna/Chaput did not do them any favours.. 

I do remember this Baertschi quote when he first went to Utica:

...It’s less about the forecheck. We find ways to get puck possession.

I think there was also a quote about him saying how playing for Green made hockey fun for him again. So there's that.

Will be an interesting year for sure.

1 minute ago, nuck7635 said:

Some good insights in this interview, was interesting to hear how Green was basically all types of players. 

I'm really curious as to why Ferraro called Green an "innovative" coach though. I guess I'm more curious as to what kind of style he will bring given what he has.

I strongly believe the Sedins still have fight left in the tank; playing under the defense first structure this year and playing with Megna/Chaput did not do them any favours.. 

I do remember this Baertschi quote when he first went to Utica:

I think there was also a quote about him saying how playing for Green made hockey fun for him again. So there's that.

Will be an interesting year for sure.

Green was also Baertschi's coach in junior with Portland, when Baertschi lit up the WHL playing with Johansen and Rattie.

1 hour ago, messier's_elbow said:

I'm a Gillis fan and I admit his drafting sucked outside of Horvat and Hutton of course.

As Ray alluded, it's the lower picks that you need to get some scores on.  Most of the time the first round is pretty straight forward, even though there can be busts.  Seconds and thirds are hit and miss but you need at least some from there, but if/when you find gold later on it's such a huge boost.  Hutton and Bieksa in the 5th round are prime examples, and so far Lockwood and Brisebois are projecting well from the 3rd, Gaudette from the 5th, and even McKenzie and Abols in the 7th had good years.  Zhukenov (4th) and Jasek (6th) are also doing well.  That's where the Gillis regime really failed -- not only limited success from the top end but almost nothing from the later picks either.  2013 is still showing potential though with Cassels (3rd), Subban (4th), and even Cederholm (5th) is still on the radar.  If nothing else, they can possibly be flipped for other assets or more picks.

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

As Ray alluded, it's the lower picks that you need to get some scores on.  Most of the time the first round is pretty straight forward, even though there can be busts.  Seconds and thirds are hit and miss but you need at least some from there, but if/when you find gold later on it's such a huge boost.  Hutton and Bieksa in the 5th round are prime examples, and so far Lockwood and Brisebois are projecting well from the 3rd, Gaudette from the 5th, and even McKenzie and Abols in the 7th had good years.  Zhukenov (4th) and Jasek (6th) are also doing well.  That's where the Gillis regime really failed -- not only limited success from the top end but almost nothing from the later picks either.  2013 is still showing potential though with Cassels (3rd), Subban (4th), and even Cederholm (5th) is still on the radar.  If nothing else, they can possibly be flipped for other assets or more picks.

Yes well our drafting seems to have improved, especially in the later rounds. It was looking quite good until Tryamkin left. Still hoping Gaudette, Lockwood and Brisebois can turn into something. Demko looks pretty good as well. 

14 hours ago, Barry_Wilkins said:

Heard this earlier today. 

What I like most is that Ferraro said that every kind of player a coach will see -- lazy, hard-working, skilled, gritty, rookie, grizzled vet -- Green has been, at one time or another in his 15 year playing career, that guy. That's important in that he can tailor his message to whoever the specific player is.

Ferraro didn't mention it, but Green's also made about 1/3 of a million gambling at poker, so he obviously has good intuition and assessment for mathematical probabilities on the fly, something that isn't talked about enough as a strength for head coaches.

I'm happy with the hire.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Green as the new coach but...

Knowing people that have tried the pro poker route, only the winnings are reported.  They never count how much they lost before they won.  

1 hour ago, Bang Bang Boogie said:

Green was also Baertschi's coach in junior with Portland, when Baertschi lit up the WHL playing with Johansen and Rattie.

yeah, but Barts couldn't make flames roster and they got rid of him. Was WD who got him to be a dependable nhler. 

new car smell. I recall how most fans were happy we got WD, and pens didn't. And how lucky we didn't hire Dallas eakins and oilers did.  at least WD won at all levels other than NHL.  Green hasn't. 

I will give him three yrs to make playoffs.  The first 9 game losing streak, the pitch forks will be out. 

Just now, Jaimito said:

The first 9 game losing streak, the pitch forks will be out. 

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that Green will become a scapegoat within a few months if we aren't doing well next year, which we likely won't be. I'm betting he'll be the #1 scapegoat by December, whether he deserves to be or not.

13 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Ferraro's my favourite regular 1040 guest by far. Doesn't sugar coat anything, isn't needlessly positive or negative on any topic even when the mood is swinging wildly between those spectrums among our media and our fanbase. He draws well on his experience from his playing days to support his arguments. And I'll always have a special place in my heart for him for putting Pratt in his place.

"Don't put words in my mouth, that pisses me off to no end!"

Pure gold!

On 4/25/2017 at 10:36 PM, oldnews said:

People here wondering whether Ferraro's opinion is worth anything....

He's usually ripping people - it's his signature -  his name was turned into a verb meaning "to get verbally abused" = Ferraroed.

So when he actually says something positive about someone.....

...it's only because that someone is a personal friend of his. That's how these things generally work. 

41 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that Green will become a scapegoat within a few months if we aren't doing well next year, which we likely won't be. I'm betting he'll be the #1 scapegoat by December, whether he deserves to be or not.

That would be unfortunate, but some folks are just that predictable, I agree. I think a yuge contingent of Canucks fans could do themselves a favor by not reading articles in the Province written by Botchford, or listening to the stupidity coming out of most of the mouths on 1040.

Green, much like Desjardins, should be given the chance to start without any criticism. I don't think many had issue with Willie until this season, when he made some extremely strange and counterintuitive decisions.  

15 hours ago, Barry_Wilkins said:

Heard this earlier today. 

What I like most is that Ferraro said that every kind of player a coach will see -- lazy, hard-working, skilled, gritty, rookie, grizzled vet -- Green has been, at one time or another in his 15 year playing career, that guy. That's important in that he can tailor his message to whoever the specific player is.

Ferraro didn't mention it, but Green's also made about 1/3 of a million gambling at poker, so he obviously has good intuition and assessment for mathematical probabilities on the fly, something that isn't talked about enough as a strength for head coaches.

I'm happy with the hire.

He also didn't mention he made that betting against the Canucks

2 hours ago, xereau said:

Botchford, the ever shining beacon of undying hope, sh*ts all over Green and the organization.  Again.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/is-green-the-right-fit-for-the-canucks~1108711

I won't be linking on a B-otch-ford clickbait troll job (it's the only 'play' in his 'playbook') - if that thing doesn't like the hiring, just another reason to feel that it's the right decision / confirmation that B-otch is on the other 'team'.   Last guy I'd want on mine. You can't pay for that kind of fortune.

15 hours ago, Green Building said:

You should give the interview a listen before continuing on with the judgement. It's pretty spot on, and all about Vancouver. 

Yeah, and on numerous occasions, just like Valk, has said he wanted to be closer to home while the kids are young

Archived