The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Darren Archibald. Do we really need him?

brokensticks

26 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

That'd take management (aka, not Green) signing him to a contract. With only so many spaces I doubt he gets the chance, although he could get one part way through the year if he really impresses, or even after training camp if he gets a PTO opportunity.

There's still no question that no matter how good he is in the AHL, he has trouble with the transition to the faster and bigger NHL. Does he fill enough of a need to take the chance to offer him a deal based on a career year in the AHL alone?

What do you base this off of? Hes barely been in the NHL at all so you don't have a large body of work to consider. Makes sense that he gets a look, how can we afford to not allow our farm teams leading scorer a chance at the team, like really not even a look? Green could easily push JB to give Archibald a deal.

Travis knows Archie better than anyone in the organisation.  If Green thinks he is good to go, Benning will get something done.   Green said in the past that he thinks Archie has a chance to be a NHLer.   

Archie when he was up played soft.  His size and lack of top six skill means he has to start as a banger to have any chance.  

9 hours ago, brokensticks said:

Archibald led the Comets in scoring this year with 23 goals and 47 points. He is a 25 year old, 6'3'', 215 lb.,  tough left winger who is more than willing to stand up for his team mates in an organization that is lacking in this type of player.

Travis Green had him on their top line and was not hesitant in using him in all situations.  You have to think that other teams have noticed his play this year.

Lets hope the Canucks and Green are willing to give him a chance this year to make the team.

This is the value added aspect of hiring Green. 

He is more familar with our prospects than any other person in the Org.   If Valk, Archie etc.. are legitimate players that can be useful then Green already knows. 

There has had been a sense that WD overlooked players, Trymakin alluded to this in his departure.  We have talked ad nauseam about this for 2 plus years.  

EmW

Perhaps Green has a soft spot for Archie. Throw Grenier in the same boat.

However, if a guy in his late 20's wasn't good enough to unseat Chaput, Skille, or Megna last year, he's probably not going to amount to much in the long run. We're probably better off giving that spot to a younger guy, who at least has the potential to grow into something better.

8 hours ago, Quantum said:

Archibald is a stable presence in the AHL and frankly that's where he should be. He is a good AHL mentor. You only give him an NHL contract if another team is looking to give him one too to play on their AHL roster.

The AHLer who deserves a contract and a shot with the Canucks, though, is Curtis Valk. He's 23, scores, feisty, and has been in the system for years. Deserves an entry deal and probably gets one with Zalewski, Grenier, and Rendulic coming off the books amongst others.

Valk is a guy I see as getting a look as 3/4C as well. I don't see enough of the Comets to have a good feel of who Green's favourites are, but from what I have seen Valk seems to be one of those guys.

2 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

This is the value added aspect of hiring Green. 

He is more familar with our prospects than any other person in the Org.   If Valk, Archie etc.. are legitimate players that can be useful then Green already knows. 

There has had been a sense that WD overlooked players, Trymakin alluded to this in his departure.  We have talked ad nauseam about this for 2 plus years.  

EmW

Ya I'm really excited about Green, more so than I was when WD was hired. He's going to play the young guys and it sounds like he knows how to develop them. Next year is a write off in my mind, but there will be plenty of good things happening.

7 hours ago, samurai said:

Travis knows Archie better than anyone in the organisation.  If Green thinks he is good to go, Benning will get something done.   Green said in the past that he thinks Archie has a chance to be a NHLer.   

Archie when he was up played soft.  His size and lack of top six skill means he has to start as a banger to have any chance.  

Your exactly right. Green will know whether Archie can cut it. Not so worried about how he played when he got his games several years ago. IMHO he was playing not to have any defensive mistakes. His game has matured and I suspect he has a better idea of what his game is. Looks like Green plans on lots of movement between Van and Utica so why not Archie for a double header?

They should 100% give him a PTO for the fall. No reason not too in my opinion. He can come into camp and compete hard for a coach he knows and push everyone else to be better or push his way into a contract.

Id rather have Archie on the 4th line than Megna.

3 hours ago, Derp... said:

They should 100% give him a PTO for the fall. No reason not too in my opinion. He can come into camp and compete hard for a coach he knows and push everyone else to be better or push his way into a contract.

Id rather have Archie on the 4th line than Megna.

Definitely. This next camp is likely to be wide open and lots of guys will have a chance to play their way into the lineup. Similarly, lots of our waiver exempt guys, even the A/B grade types, could find themselves in Utica to start or moving up and down throughout the season. So there will be spots open for grabs on the opening night 23 man roster.

So Archie has a chance, if he comes in hungry and leaves everything on the ice during camp/preseason. Not a great chance admittedly, but a chance nonetheless.

So a PTO, or maybe an AHL deal (as I think he's proven himself a useful player in Utica), seems a good starting point. And then see what happens at camp. An NHL SPC is easy enough to write up if he earns one. But certainly no point in using a contract slot until he's proven himself worthy of one (or not).

One of things Green has said and has told his guys as well, that some guys get lots of chances to make some just a few so if it comes then you got it put it on the table.  He likes Archie, Pedan and Subban, and that message is for them.   None of them will be discarded if Green says he wants to give them a shot.  

Given that Green is so familiar with Archibald, Grenier and Subban, I would think that the fate of these three will be told during training camp...if Archie and Gren are even signed (or resigned in Grenier's case). If they can't make the team, even as, say, the 13th forward or the 8th dman, playing in a system that they are familiar with, then...they are likely taking contracts that should be allotted somewhere else. Now, this is less true for Subban, he is still young enough that he hasn't peaked, or really even close to it. The other two...they are of an age where it is now or never. My money is on Grenier not getting another RFA signing, one of he or Archie gets a veteran signing in Utica and the other either goes to another AHL team or to Europe.

Subban...I've said it before. I doubt he ever really gets a chance here. He has been pushed down the depth chart quite a ways, and there are more guys coming in that are liable to also pass him. He will need to be in a trade package to a team in the East to get NHL consideration. Honestly, do you ever see him being able to handle guys like Lucic, Benn, Perry? Me...nope.

19 hours ago, Father Ryan said:

Given that Green is so familiar with Archibald, Grenier and Subban, I would think that the fate of these three will be told during training camp...if Archie and Gren are even signed (or resigned in Grenier's case). If they can't make the team, even as, say, the 13th forward or the 8th dman, playing in a system that they are familiar with, then...they are likely taking contracts that should be allotted somewhere else. Now, this is less true for Subban, he is still young enough that he hasn't peaked, or really even close to it. The other two...they are of an age where it is now or never. My money is on Grenier not getting another RFA signing, one of he or Archie gets a veteran signing in Utica and the other either goes to another AHL team or to Europe.

Subban...I've said it before. I doubt he ever really gets a chance here. He has been pushed down the depth chart quite a ways, and there are more guys coming in that are liable to also pass him. He will need to be in a trade package to a team in the East to get NHL consideration. Honestly, do you ever see him being able to handle guys like Lucic, Benn, Perry? Me...nope.

Pretty much agree with your take. Grenier played a season in Europe already. I doubt he is resigned but might be picked up by another org. I believe Archie only has a AHL contract and might be resigned for Utica only. If Van wants to call him up he could be signed to do that.

Subban has just finished his 2nd season of pro. He is under contract. He comes to Van's pre-season for evaluation. If he starts in Utica I think he will see NHL games during the season for further development. No one in the org knows this kid better than Green. It is a great op for Subban when Green was signed in Vancouver.

On 4/28/2017 at 1:01 AM, Shirotashi said:

What do you base this off of? Hes barely been in the NHL at all so you don't have a large body of work to consider. Makes sense that he gets a look, how can we afford to not allow our farm teams leading scorer a chance at the team, like really not even a look? Green could easily push JB to give Archibald a deal.

Green could have also pushed to have Archibald get signed into the season and get a call up as well. We certainly used enough forwards from Utica. I'd ask what you're basing your side on, but it's basically his point totals.

I'm not saying it's impossible, just that it's definitely on the less likely side that he's offered a contract with all the draft picks we've got also needing contracts and players we'll look to sign as depth through to Utica. Attracting some talent to Utica for instance will require offering a little more than just an AHL contract. Archibald already likes it there (has said as much) so he won't take as much convincing.

Archived