The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Top 5 Picks by NHL.com

iceman64

2 hours ago, BaerToBo said:

If we honestly pick Rasmussen then this draft is a failure. There are far better, more skilled, faster and better playets to suit our needs. I dont even think id have Rasmussen in my top 10 tbh

Hey JB if you pick Rasmussen, and Vilardi or Mittelstadt are on the board, I'm bringing the pitch fork out of retirement.

Size is literally nothing. JB has realized that. Look how Virtanen went. Look what Ehlers and Nylander are doing. Sure, you need size in your team to succeed, but you don't need to waste top-10 picks on something like that that can be picked up through free agency or low-end trades.

We need to use our high picks to draft elite skill - something this team is lacking. We have Horvat, Boeser, that's about it. Goldobin and Dahlen and Granlund and Baertschi are all great, but are they elite? Don't think so just yet. They're nowhere near as talented as what it takes to win in this league and to score today anymore.

We need someone like Hirschier with that top-end offensive talent. Nolan is a risky pick but still pretty damn good if we miss on Hirschier. After that the "eliteness" drops off a fair bit but Vilardi and Mittelstatd, Necas too are all great skilled centers who can play in our top-6 with Horvat. 

I'd be hesitant drafting a big strong guy who isn't as fast or as skilled as the rest of them. We need OFFENCE, not grit right now for our core. Draft big bruising hitters with the late picks and teach them offence, not the other way around. I know the old saying is you can't teach size, but it's also proving pretty damn difficult to teach top end hockey IQ.

everything seems to think that Benning will make a mistake this draft. I'm hoping for him to make the best selection at where we will be drafting wherever that may be. Middlestadt had to be an option if Patrick and Hirschier is off the board. Vilardi would be a good option as well. and if we can swing another deal for a mid first rounder that would be awesome. we need as many prospects as we can get within our system of development. Benning ain't perfect. but he's done more drafting wise than Gillis had over his entire tenure with respect to prospect development and drafting. 

2 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Since we are most likely picking 4th or 5th........Vilardi or  Mittelstadt would be a win from this draft.

According to Craig Button Mittelstadt is more of a Center/Winger hybrid.   If Vancouver does want a winger maybe Cody Glass is a better option?

4 hours ago, iceman64 said:

2. Hischier BUT he's euro and again not big statured, and would probably be a #2 line and we could get that through Goldobin or someone in the system already.

LOL! 

I guess Krejčí, Malkin, Kopitar, Datsyuk, Lindström, Hossa, Chara, and Zetterberg were all total plugs when they won the cup.

5 hours ago, JamesB said:

Nice to see so much agreement. I feel the same way. In the list just released by TSN they have him at #8. I was surprised to see him that high. The stats on him are just not very good as his 5-on-5 numbers are mediocre, and those numbers are a much better predictor of NHL performance than PP scoring. Also, the scouting reports indicate that his skating is not great, his shot is not great, and his hockey IQ is not great. He gets a lot of his points by using his size from in close. As a big strong guy he can do that in Junior. That is a lot tougher to do in the NHL.

Based on how guys like him normally project, he has very little chance of ever being a first liner, would be lucky to be a good second liner, is more likely to be a bottom six forward, and may never make the NHL. His size is nice and I would take a gamble on him with a pick in the middle of the first round. But if the Canucks pick him I will be looking for my "Fire Benning" sign.

In fact, I really don't want Benning to go "off the board" at all. It did not  work well with Virtanen and, while the jury is still out on Juolevi I think it was a mistake not to go with consensus pick at the time (Tkachuk). So I would be happy with Patrick at 1 (although his groin injury worries me), Hischer at 2, and Vilardi at 3. It gets a bit tricky at 4 and 5 as there is no consensus or near-consensus at 4 or 5 and there there are several guys in contention for both spots. Owen Tippett is a winger, not a center, but he looks very good. I also like Cody Glass. I don't want another small D. I like Stecher, and Subban may have a shot. Our other Ds have to be a decent size. So I am not positive on Liljegren, Heiskanen, or Makar.

glass is starting to grow on me.  more i hear about him from Craig and Bob the more I'm intrigued.   I need to watch more footage but sounds interesting.

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

According to Craig Button Mittelstadt is more of a Center/Winger hybrid.   If Vancouver does want a winger maybe Cody Glass is a better option?

believe Craig said glass is a natural center.  he doesn't see him playing wing as much as Mittelstadt might. 

9 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I'm extremely hesitant to buy on Rasmussen. I can't think of any 6'6" all-star forwards. Tallest I can think of is Mats Sundin who was most often considered 6'5". Eric Daze is the only 6'6" forward that I can think of who was top six for any reasonable amount of time. I'd much rather bite on Vilardi or Mittelstadt if we end up at 3 or 4. At 5, we might not have a choice. Even then, there's still Liljegren. 

Liligren was dropped to 13th overall on the TSN recent standings

9 hours ago, BaerToBo said:

If we honestly pick Rasmussen then this draft is a failure. There are far better, more skilled, faster and better playets to suit our needs. I dont even think id have Rasmussen in my top 10 tbh

The only way we get Rasmussen is if we land a second 1st thru a trade. I think he goes around the 12 spot.  

10 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

stopped reading there.

I don't care if he's from North Korea as long as he's good at hockey. 

Interesting take. I care where players are from a lot. I love it when local kids play for the team and I prefer Canadian players over any other.

Call me a homer but I love my home grown talent.

I think Vilardi is our most complimentary fit, but if we stay at #2 then Hischier is obviously the answer, even if we get #1, I'd still go with Hischier over Patrick.  I had hopes for Rasmussen but his overall game is a big question mark, I think he'll still be in the top 10, #5 may go to Cody Glass and Liljegren may even go before Rasmussen.

10 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I'm extremely hesitant to buy on Rasmussen. I can't think of any 6'6" all-star forwards. Tallest I can think of is Mats Sundin who was most often considered 6'5". Eric Daze is the only 6'6" forward that I can think of who was top six for any reasonable amount of time. I'd much rather bite on Vilardi or Mittelstadt if we end up at 3 or 4. At 5, we might not have a choice. Even then, there's still Liljegren. 

Mario lemeux? 

Edit: nm hes 6.4

1 hour ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

This is a list of the top 5 NA skaters. I expect Necas or Liljegren to also crack the top 5. 

Just heard on the radio that Liljegren fell out of the top 10 in recent polls.  Maybe we could trade down from say 4, collect another pick, and still get that guy at 10-15?

Archived