The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Global War Fast Approaching?

Nuxfanabroad

After a quick search, I see many regional-conflagrations have dedicated threads. Due to the seriousness of building scenarios, & that virtually all would be affected, decided to ask this question here & now, straight-up.

Questions:

- For starters, the thread title^ yes/no?

- What could possibly be the reason/impetus for a war begining now?

- In what region does it first set off?

- How would the major players align themselves?

Personally I'll get further into various sources & rumours, if this thread has legs. First, I'd like to start off with any/all posters having an opportunity to chime in with their opinion/insights.

I'd like to respectfully ask that flippant remarks are kept to a minimum. It's a path I'd hoped we'd never go down again..but it appears there are many ominous signs...

19 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I'd like to respectfully ask that flippant remarks are kept to a minimum. It's a path I'd hoped we'd never go down again..but it appears there are many ominous signs...

Ominous signs don't matter in a rapidly globalizing world. You make more money trading with the rest of the world than you do waging war on it.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Winter Soldier said:

Ominous signs don't matter in a rapidly globalizing world. You make more money trading with the rest of the world than you do waging war on it.

It's a generalization that assumes people continue to act logically, with regard & respect for multi-faceted interests of major nations & corporations. These two entities intertwined, evolve into a traditional definition of fascism.

I would contend that things are becoming increasingly complicated. Then surround this emerging complex, ugly picture with a bizarrely shaped frame, to represent the twisted mass-media.

1 hour ago, Winter Soldier said:

This is too obvious of an answer to be true. I believe that the next threat to humanity will come in the form of the ManBearPig. A whole bunch of close minded individuals will laugh, but the ManBearPig is real, and it is coming for us all. No flippant remarks please.

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Toews said:

This is too obvious of an answer to be true. I believe that the next threat to humanity will come in the form of the ManBearPig. A whole bunch of close minded individuals will laugh, but the ManBearPig is real, and it is coming for us all. No flippant remarks please.

I hear ya.

z1owghrldyg5o6huhzvf.jpg

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I remember (years ago actually) seeing an interview with an expert in cyber-security. (I believe he was a former American Intelligence agent) He said the next global conflict wouldn't be started by a world power, or even some tin pot dictator like Kim. It wouldn't even take the form of a proxy war, similar to what we're seeing right now in Syria.

His conjecture was that WWIII would be started by some pissed off hacker(s) who would use their "skills" to bring down the world's banking institutions and mess with infrastructure, such as power grids and communications.

I don't believe that the actions we're currently seeing in the Middle East and the Korean peninsula will result in global conflict, (I believe that cooler heads will eventually prevail) but it doesn't mean that we don't live in a very scary world.

Further to that, I agree with Toews' point that Climate Change is an issue with potentially disastrous consequences, especially when the leader of one the planet's biggest CO2 emitters is a CC denier.

The TV show Mr. Robot explores this concept. You should check it out if you have some time to kill.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Toews said:

so... like one of them? Not being flippant, just want to know how many places to set for dinner 

32 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I remember (years ago actually) seeing an interview with an expert in cyber-security. (I believe he was a former American Intelligence agent) He said the next global conflict wouldn't be started by a world power, or even some tin pot dictator like Kim. It wouldn't even take the form of a proxy war, similar to what we're seeing right now in Syria.

His conjecture was that WWIII would be started by some pissed off hacker(s) who would use their "skills" to bring down the world's banking institutions and mess with infrastructure, such as power grids and communications.

I don't believe that the actions we're currently seeing in the Middle East and the Korean peninsula will result in global conflict, (I believe that cooler heads will eventually prevail) but it doesn't mean that we don't live in a very scary world.

Further to that, I agree with Toews' point that Climate Change is an issue with potentially disastrous consequences, especially when the leader of one the planet's biggest CO2 emitters is a CC denier.

I'm agreeing with a lot in here.   There are international threats coming from groups who are not necessarily aligned with states.  The internet age has brought with it the ability for people to unite when they don't necessarily live in one particular region or country.  The disenfranchised are everywhere and may act alone or in concert.  Small groups may be able to cause great harm in less traditional ways.  The good news is that the intelligence community is well aware of this.  The bad news is that we are becoming a police state.

Putin has been using some of the above tactics but on a more traditional scale, he likes to keep his neighbours unstable.  In this way, he removes them as a threat to his own country and he will more easily be able to carry out his own agendas.  Syria is a prime example of this.  Additionally, he uses the way he backs this conflict as a bargaining chip in a plan to disband NATO.  Now, NATO is seen as a dinosaur by many (esp Trump) but is a thorn in the side of Putin.  Baltic states for example (Latvia, Estonia, even Poland) count on NATO to deter Putin's imperialistic ambitions to control or re-acquire them.

• Upvote 1

If you look at what started both world wars you can draw a lot of parallels as history often repeats itself. I don't think it'll happen as soon as everyone is thinking but if nothing improves in the next 10 years then I could see a major conflict happening. 

4 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Meanwhile the 100 year trend of rising sea levels continue, at the unalarming rate of 1/8 of an inch a year. Relax.

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/sealevel.html