The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] The 5th Pick of 2017 Draft

Ichiban604

Canucks will draft...  

440 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm definitely on team Glass, but as with most drafts, one never really knows.

Wouldn't be upset with Vilardi or Mittelstadt either, though Mittelstadt seems to be getting similar critique as Rasmussen regarding 5v5 production.

My guess is the top 4 will go something like Patrick, Hischier, Heiskenen and Liljegren based on the team's needs (though I could see the Devils going for Hischier).  Makar is ranked really high by some but it seems like his level of competition leaves him as a big unknown.  I think Dallas and Colorado will both be looking for D, especially at those draft positions, unless they are prepared to deal an existing roster player (e.g. Landeskog, Duchene, not sure about the Stars, etc) for a top D.  Not sure what top D might be available this summer, however.  Maybe Trouba?

If Liljegren is available at 5, it sounds like the Canucks might go for him.  Not sure how I would feel about that happening, but a top pairing of Juolevi-Liljegren could be amazing if they both pan out.  Still, picking a center would make the most sense... Right now it's really just Bo.  Gaudette has a lot to prove still and the rest of our top forward prospects are wingers.

I don't know why, but I just can't get behind Glass.  

I wouldn't be opposed to Vilardi. 

A summer with Horvats skating coach, and this kid could be amazing.  

For me though, I just can't get over the potential of Liljegrin.  

This kid could easily become the best offensive Dman this team has ever had.  

Liljegrin Juolevi. 

Yup.  That's it right there. 

After I stepped away from the ledge yesterday and washing the bitter taste from my mouth left from the lottery debacle. I am now able to process my thoughts without flying into a rage. I'm all for Liljegren. I think it's great for the Canucks to continue building from the net out. By the time this team is ready to compete these defencemen could very well be absolute weapons. That being said I like the prospects of Glass too.

PS if the Canucks get stitched up again in the lottery next year I will need to be monitored especially around high buildings or sharp objects. Seriously enough is enough

Anyone else worried/wondering if Benning/Linden will be feeling the pressure to pick someone this year who they can slot right in, like say Owen Tippett, over taking a player that will have the better long-term career? Or maybe they even deal the pick for an NHL player, or more ready prospect. 

I mean, this is draft No. 4 for this group which was sold to fans as a group that would be drafting better than past management groups. And while there are a couple of picks with okay upside, Boeser is about the only pick that seems NHL ready out of the bunch. As well, you can make a decent case that the Canucks have missed on three of the four first round picks Benning/Linden have made.

Virtanen- Looks to be lucky to be a serviceable NHL

McCann- Decent upside but was traded for a 4/5 D

Boeser- Looking like a great pick, should be a 25+ goal guy for a decade or so

Joulevi- Might be okay, but didn't progress much, if at all this year. Could argue there are five-to-eight guys who were picked after him that are looking like better players 

My preference in this order: Mittelstadt, Vilardi, Glass, Makar, Heiskanen.

Seeing Rasmussen being ranked in the top 10 by a couple scouts scares me because he's got Virtanen written all over him and Benning might want that. 50gp 32g 55pts in the WHL. A big hometown kid with a shoot first mentality. Seems to be ranked high for his size more than his skill. Could definitely be a useful player to have but we desperately need someone with high end offensive talent to take over for the Sedins, not another borderline top 6 guy. A bit unfair for me to judge based on scouting reports and stats but I just don't think we can afford any more mispicks with our high picks if we're hoping to be competitive within 5 years.

1 hour ago, chickenman92 said:

Anyone else worried/wondering if Benning/Linden will be feeling the pressure to pick someone this year who they can slot right in, like say Owen Tippett, over taking a player that will have the better long-term career? Or maybe they even deal the pick for an NHL player, or more ready prospect. 

I mean, this is draft No. 4 for this group which was sold to fans as a group that would be drafting better than past management groups. And while there are a couple of picks with okay upside, Boeser is about the only pick that seems NHL ready out of the bunch. As well, you can make a decent case that the Canucks have missed on three of the four first round picks Benning/Linden have made.

Joulevi- Might be okay, but didn't progress much, if at all this year. Could argue there are five-to-eight guys who were picked after him that are looking like better players 

I think they will probably be feeling the pressure, especially after the season we had. I don't think that they will stray away from what they feel is right though. They drafted a D last year instead of someone that could have fast tracked it to the Nhl, so they aren't scared to take someone that will take time to make it

15 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

I like Glass, but am intrigued by the offensive potential of Liljegren on the right side of Juolevi in a few years. I am on the fence, but I say ef it lets gamble on Liljegren.  

Yes Yes Yes lol olli and Timmy yay!  Martin necas looks like a sexy pick too.  I woundnt be surprised if Lilegren could Crack our top 6 now with tree in Russia.   his speed reminds me of stecher but possibly even faster. 

2 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

I put myself down for Glass but then again either way we are still getting a good pick at No.5  and I'd be happy with any one of Mittelstadt Vilardi Glass Necas or top PP QB defenceman.

yeach there are some good players avaliable at 5 no matter who gets snapped up at 3 and 4.  necas was ranked 3rd by button then a week later now he's out of the top 5 and we are apparently lined up for glass according to him.

I think glass may of jumped up a few spots though because of his position ie center.  he claimed some guys got a boost believe glass was one because he is a sure fire center as where he believes mittlestadt may be converted to wing long term.

Kinda want us to try to trade down just a few spots. Hopefully get another team's 2nd for the move. Then draft Makar and also add a centre (like maybe Reedy or Geekie) with the acquired pick.

Might not be doable but I'd love it if it worked out that way.

I think Makar has the potential to be the most valuable player from this draft in five years. Obviously he carriers risk, but if he hits his potential, he becomes an elite/franchise-level player.

I'd be willing to take that risk on Makar if we also had three second round picks to play with this year (our own, the one from trading down, and the Torts pick).

If I have learnt anything over the years on CDC. The general consensus, on who they wanted in the draft, never really turns out to be anything special, especially when we pick in the top 10.

2006: People wanted Nonis to trade up and draft Brule. 

2008: Kyle Beach

2013: Valeri Nichushkin

2014: Jake Virtanen (still early, although it doesn't look promising)

2016: Pierre Luc Dubois (early)

11 hours ago, chickenman92 said:

No I don't think they'll pick a lesser player who can slot in sooner.

Virtanen will be fine IMO. Turned a corner this year, even if he's not 'OMG Ehlers!'

Gudbranson is a # 3D

Juolevi is a stud. Only people who think he didn't 'progress' are stat watchers. He's also evidence they're playing the long game contrary to your worry there.

Archived