The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] The 5th Pick of 2017 Draft

Ichiban604

Canucks will draft...  

440 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 minutes ago, baumerman77 said:

I'm starting to think Suzuki might be an option at 5. Although in no way do I think Benning would take him.

You never know with Benning. I was very surprised last year when he passed over Tkachuk, taking a D instead. Not saying it was a bad pick at all, we won't know for 5+ years yet. Juolevi could be amazing one day. Sometimes there's gems outside of the top 3 and I trust Benning will draft some good players.

Mittelstadt is intriguing, but so is Glass. Curious who DAL and COL will take. What are their needs? D? Will COL be looking to add a C, if they decide to trade Duchene?

#5 isn't ideal for this team, but it's a lot better than getting bounced in the 1st round and drafting #25 (MTL)

The team to throw a wrench into this process is Vegas. Do they choose to grab a center with their first ever pick? Do they choose to grab a potential first pairing Dman?

Given that first pairing defensemen don't exactly grow on trees, that option is one that you KNOW they have to at least consider. Say they go that route. I think it's pretty much consensus that Patrick and Hischier are going 1-2. That leaves the trifecta of Glass, Mittlestadt and Valardi. All three are really good choices, without a whole lot to differentiate one from another. Glass, apparently, looks to have the potential to grow a whole bunch; Valardi has some family history of some really good size also.

It's going to be very interesting to see the choices made in picks 3 and 4! 

1 hour ago, Father Ryan said:

The team to throw a wrench into this process is Vegas. Do they choose to grab a center with their first ever pick? Do they choose to grab a potential first pairing Dman?

Given that first pairing defensemen don't exactly grow on trees, that option is one that you KNOW they have to at least consider. Say they go that route. I think it's pretty much consensus that Patrick and Hischier are going 1-2. That leaves the trifecta of Glass, Mittlestadt and Valardi. All three are really good choices, without a whole lot to differentiate one from another. Glass, apparently, looks to have the potential to grow a whole bunch; Valardi has some family history of some really good size also.

It's going to be very interesting to see the choices made in picks 3 and 4! 

...Vegas picks at the #6 spot....

2 hours ago, HC20.0 said:

I'm curious about Liljegren. Why has he dropped? He was a projected Top 2 pick not too long ago.

He got mono which hurt his season. He is a risky pick but has potential to be the 2nd or 3rd best player in the draft. This team has been hurting for a player of his skillset 

1 minute ago, Canorth said:

Who are you leaning towards? 

I don't know it is pretty close, I think the rankings are going to change a lot; we need a lot more information. I think we would be best served drafting a forward (preferably a center). Using two 5th overall picks back to back and taking a defencemen both times is extremely risky and could really hinder the rebuild. Defencemen are just a lot more difficult to project. 

Very preliminary rankings would be:

1. Patrick

2. Hischier

3. Viladri

4. Glass

5. Suzuki

6. Tippett

And then maybe Pettersson or Mittelstadt.

This is primarily based on stats and admittedly I have to better acquaint myself with the European prospects. If we do go the defence route Brannstrom really intrigues me. 

27 minutes ago, baumerman77 said:

I don't know it is pretty close, I think the rankings are going to change a lot; we need a lot more information. I think we would be best served drafting a forward (preferably a center). Using two 5th overall picks back to back and taking a defencemen both times is extremely risky and could really hinder the rebuild. Defencemen are just a lot more difficult to project. 

Very preliminary rankings would be:

1. Patrick

2. Hischier

3. Viladri

4. Glass

5. Suzuki

6. Tippett

And then maybe Pettersson or Mittelstadt.

This is primarily based on stats and admittedly I have to better acquaint myself with the European prospects. If we do go the defence route Brannstrom really intrigues me. 

Yeah, I haven't been paying much attention this year... haven't even heard of Brannstrom. At a brief glance, he seems pretty small and his rankings are all over the place, 22 to 9 from what I've seen. 

I'm with you on drafting a center. I think I'm sold on Cody Glass, if he's available. I don't really see Colorado taking a forward with this pick and I'm not really sure what the Stars need, they could very well be looking for someone to play behind Seguin in the near future. I wonder if one of the higher ranked defencemen might be more of an interest for them.

Either way, if I were to guess, I'd say at least two of Vilardi, Glass & Middlestat will be available at the fiith pick, barring any trades. And from what I've read anyone of them have the potential to be one of, if not the best picks in this draft.

5 hours ago, Ichiban604 said:

What or who will the Canucks draft with their 5th pick?

I think we will draft a center and there will be many skill ones left on the board with the 5th pick. Personally, I hope the Canucks will draft Casey Mittelstadt. "Skill-set among top in the draft class. Elusive one-on-one talent & electric quickness." Kid from Minnesotta, connection with Boeser?

I also hope on draft day, one of Elder/Tanev will get traded, as we will commit to a  for full rebuild.

I dont mind us, trading up to get Nico/Nolan. I perfer Nico. They are the most NHL ready players in this draft. Outside of those 2 players, it will take a few years for them to develop. Which sucks, I do want to see new excitement starting next year with our 1st pick of this draft.

Vilardi seems to be what were looking for with size and speed but I would go after the best d man again and wait till a #1 center is within our grasp

4 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

I like Glass, but am intrigued by the offensive potential of Liljegren on the right side of Juolevi in a few years. I am on the fence, but I say ef it lets gamble on Liljegren.  

Definitely Liljegren would be a good pick

I'm shocked to see no one is mentioning Elias Pettersson. He has great potential  to become very good in a couple of years. Remember we're trying to maximize our return after getting robbed again at the lottery but here is a player that has a connection with the team via Dahlen who he's shown fantastic chemistry with. 

ELIAS PETTERSSONpronounce_large.png   Sweden 40.png

BIRTHYEAR 1998-11-12 BIRTHPLACE Sundsvall, SWE
AGE 18 NATION Sweden
POSITION C/LW SHOOTS L
HEIGHT 188 cm / 6'2" WEIGHT 73 kg / 161 lbs
YOUTH TEAM Ånge IK CONTRACT 19/20
NHL DRAFT Top Prospect eligible for the 2017 NHL Entry Draft
RANKINGS Ranked #5 by Hockeyprospect.com
Ranked #16 by ISS Hockey
Ranked #9 by Future Considerations
Ranked #7 by McKeen's Hockey
Ranked #2 by NHL Central Scouting (EU Skaters)
SOCIAL twitter instagram player_youtube.png 
HIGHLIGHTS 1-time U18 WJC Silver Medal
SCOUTING REPORT
A crafty and agile two-way forward, Pettersson is consistently productive in all three zones. As he gets stronger, he'll become even more physical and aggressive than he is now, and his creativity could definitely elevate his game to dominant levels. He can be described as a tenacious, jack-of-all-trades kind of player; he is well versed in all the important aspects of his own game. His speed and top-end acceleration continue to improve game by game, and his hard-nosedness shows through in his dogged pursuit of puck control. Elias Pettersson is a complete hockey player with exceptional hockey sense who brings intellect and youthful exuberance to a game that feeds on his kind of exciting athleticism. [EP] 
  GP G A TP PPG PIM  +/-    GP G A TP PPG PIM  +/- 
  Regular Season   Postseason
 stats_arrow.gif Allsvenskan: 68 22 28 50 0.74 14  17  | 8 2 8 10 1.25
 stats_arrow.gif Hlinka Memorial: 5 0 0 0 0.00 -2  |              
 stats_arrow.gif International-Jr: 42 10 18 28 0.67 11  |              
 stats_arrow.gif J18 Allsvenskan: 20 20 18 38 1.90 17  | 9 5 10 15 1.67
 stats_arrow.gif J18 Elit: 24 14 17 31 1.29 28  |              
 stats_arrow.gif SHL: 0 0 0 0 - |              
 stats_arrow.gif SuperElit: 28 10 17 27 0.96 22  | 5 5 5 10 2.00
 stats_arrow.gif TV-Pucken: 5 2 2 4 0.80 |              
 stats_arrow.gif U16 SM: 6 3 7 10 1.67 |              
 stats_arrow.gif WJC-18: 7 1 7 8 1.14 |              
 stats_arrow.gif WJC-20: 6 0 1 1 0.17 |              

Probabaly the most glowing scouting report I've read recently. I think he's the gem to be found in the top 10. 

Watch for yourself :

Just pick an offensive center with upside.  I won't pretend that I know the difference between Vilardi/ Glass/ Mittelstadt/ Hischier/ Patrick.  

We just need a center with skill and who is projecting upward (showing increasing potential for NHL success in a top-6 offensive role).  

I know a lot of people here are big on Mittlestadt but his 5v5 production is very concerning. Here is a look at Mittlestadt's production versus some recent USHL first round picks.

5v5 Primary Points Per Game:

Roslovic (25th 2015)        0.88

Keller  (7th 2016)              0.78

Bellows  (19th 2016)         0.78

Bracco  (61st 2015)          0.71

Milano (16th, 2014)          0.68

Larkin (15th, 2014)           0.62

Connor  (17th 2015)         0.59

Tuch (18th, 2014)             0.54

Boeser (23rd 2015)           0.49

McCarron (25th, 2013)      0.42

White (21st 2015)              0.40

Mittlestadt                       0.38

N. Schmaltz (20th, 2014)  0.35

As the table shows only Schmaltz produced less 5v5 primary points. Moreover, most of the USHL players went 15-30th not in the top 5. One might think that perhaps Mittlestadt had an unlucky low shooting percentage which led to his numbers being unfairly low. However, he actually shot 21.31% (6th out of 247 players who played over 20 games) which leads one to believe, if anything, his primary point production may be overstated at 0.38. Lastly, it is well know that players with later birthdays are more likely to produce at a higher rate than the younger players in their cohort; thus it is important to note that Mittlestadt is an older player for his draft year (Nov 22). Mittlestadt has largely relied on the power play to get his points (which isn't as predictive of success as 5v5). I think a lot of people are getting hung up on his spectacular highlight videos which I will be the first to admit look very nice. But he is a high risk pick much more so than Vilardi, Glass, Tippett, Suzuki. He is very much an eye test player because very few players (if any) have achieved the success CDC is suggesting with that low of 5v5 production rates. Personally, at the fifth pick in the middle/start of a rebuild a don't want to take a prospect that has an uphill battle against comparable players when there are viable options available. 

My pick would be Glass or Mittelstadt with Glass having the upper edge. He's a good, smart 2 way player who thinks the game at a high level. He never makes the same mistake twice. He attacks hard and fast. He does everything that you want from a potential 1C. High upside. I'd want him to be our pick potentially being our 1-2 punch with Horvat. He seems like the logical choice. He has room to grow even taller as well. Lots to like from a kid like him 

From what I've read, our fifth pick will likely be one of Vilardi, Mittlestadt, or Glass.  It seems like Vilardi is a dependable pick that has great upside, Mittlestadt has been playing in an easier league and feasts on the pp, and I do not know anything about Glass.

Could someone maybe give a quick scouting comparison and rate the three so I can start formulating my wish list for June? :D 

My idea among the three are

1. Vilardi

2. Glass

3. Mittlestadt

Cheers:)

Archived