The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] The 5th Pick of 2017 Draft

Ichiban604

Canucks will draft...  

440 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I would have picked Glass if it were up to me.  He's a strong player who's gone through tough times and learned how to play through adversity.  I think that makes him stronger in the long run.  That said, management is swinging for the fences with Pettersson, who is probably the only player in the draft with elite 1st line potential.  The problem is, he has a decent probability of being a bust as well - high risk, high reward.  Maybe I'm a bit conservative, but I'd have preferred Glass - but I'm OK with taking a chance with the weak nature of the top half of the 1st round this year.  I sure hope we get a top 4 in the 2018 draft.

2 minutes ago, RogersTowell said:

I would have picked Glass if it were up to me.  He's a strong player who's gone through tough times and learned how to play through adversity.  I think that makes him stronger in the long run.  That said, management is swinging for the fences with Pettersson, who is probably the only player in the draft with elite 1st line potential.  The problem is, he has a decent probability of being a bust as well - high risk, high reward.  Maybe I'm a bit conservative, but I'd have preferred Glass - but I'm OK with taking a chance with the weak nature of the top half of the 1st round this year.  I sure hope we get a top 4 in the 2018 draft.

Well said.   Fits my thoughts pretty much bang on.   The pick is an aggressive one versus a safe one.   Looking at the kid's film that people have posted, I can only say that this prospect is already the best shootout option for the entire organization - simply wow!

16 minutes ago, RogersTowell said:

I too, wanted Glass. Think he's more of a sure thing but, I guess, a hope to revive a Sedin scenario with two players who've played a lot of successful minutes together, was too tempting to pass up. It's going to be interesting to see how it pans out and I hope the best for them.

As I watch the subsequent rounds, I keep seeing opportunity after opportunity being wasted by TL and JB. Both Ratcliffe and Hague are on the board at 33, either one of which, we could dearly use (Radcliffe preferably) but he goes with another smallish player to, perhaps, add to an, already, small team. JB didn't even follow his philosophy of picking the best player available.

Calgary picking up Hamonic for 1st and 2nd round picks in 2018 ( a scenario I wanted Benning to explore for Tanev) I see as a win for both teams. I have to believe that Tanev has to be worth, at least, a 1st in 2018. But again, Benning sits on his hands, staring into nothingness, as he often does during the big moments of a hockey season. There had to be some good offers out there for him.

When one looks at our division, I don't see us, even coming close to competing any time soon.

I view this draft as another dropped ball by Vancouver management. I've been a TL, JB supporter from day one but my patience is wearing thin. I'm beginning to think that neither was ready to assume the positions they were hired for. I don't mind waiting for prospects to develop. I don't mind watching a team going through growing pains. I don't mind watching a developing team lose. But I can't watch a management team constantly miss opportunities to improve our squad, as I feel they have.

One thing I need to say is that I'm not trashing on the young players we picked up this year. I welcome them and wish nothing but the best for each of them. I just think we needed to address other, missing, aspects of our team and had a great opportunity to do so at this draft.

18 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

I view this draft as another dropped ball by Vancouver management. 

Interesting.   Was just watching an ESPN affiliate that says Canucks "get an A or A+ from me from deriving present value and future upside from every pick they have made - no other team was able to be that consistently strong this year".     

Both of you cannot be right.   Time will tell.

20 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Interesting.   Was just watching an ESPN affiliate that says Canucks "get an A or A+ from me from deriving present value and future upside from every pick they have made - no other team was able to be that consistently strong this year".     

Yes it will and I, whole heartedly, disagree.

As I said in another thread; I don't see us competing with Any team in our division any time soon, and that includes LVK. McPhee schooled Benning on how to work a draft.

6 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

Yes it will and I, whole heartedly, disagree.

As I said in another thread; I don't see us competing with Any team in our division any time soon, and that includes LVK. McPhee schooled Benning on how to work a draft.

hahaha helps when you get 30 players from other teams and can dump a bunch of them for picks. Only years after a draft can you truly judge it

22 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

High praise from an American station? WOW!!! Didn't think they know too much down there. Must've been Mckenzie since he was working for them this weekend. That guy seems to know a thing or two. B)

58 minutes ago, canucklehead80 said:

High praise from an American station? WOW!!! Didn't think they know too much down there. Must've been Mckenzie since he was working for them this weekend. That guy seems to know a thing or two. B)

I believe it was.   Huge praise for the guts to take "perhaps the best overall talent in the draft in the first round" and then "finding what could both easily been first rounders in two second round picks" and then top that off "the most athletic goalie in this or any previous draft for a few seasons now" and finally "solid back end of the draft though such long shots rarely ever get fan attention after the draft as most will never get a sniff".  

6 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I believe it was.   Huge praise for the guts to take "perhaps the best overall talent in the draft in the first round" and then "finding what could both easily been first rounders in two second round picks" and then top that off "the most athletic goalie in this or any previous draft for a few seasons now" and finally "solid back end of the draft though such long shots rarely ever get fan attention after the draft as most will never get a sniff".  

Love the positivity. So hard to find on here these days. 

Archived