The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Day After. Draft or Trade?

TheGuardian_

The Day After. Draft or Trade?  

220 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

True.. It is hard. We have been patiently waiting for things to go our way for 47 years and we are eager to see the positive change. I have been a Canucks fan since my dad introduced me to the game in the early eighties (I was 3 I think). I have learned to be patient. I have faith that we will get there in time and I am curious to see what kind of product Green deploys at the NHL level. Ideally I would like to see us snag a top ranked C and a stud RHD (Callan Foote is my favourite) in the first round but we will see what happens.

8 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I don't.   I expect 2021.

Mainly because we're going to need 1 to 3 years of development with last year's and this year's prospects.  Add in next year's.

We've nobody truly NHL ready in the near future and will be slowly bringing them in ALA willy D and Green's MO 

2021 for playoffs imo

One of very few things we disagree on. I'm thinking more along the lines of the three Cali teams all falling down further (if not apart), Chicago is about a year or two behind us, Dallas the same, and Colorado with continued ineptitude. I didn't say we would really deserve to be in the playoffs, but I could easily see us sneak in as the #7-8 seed. The 2021 season is when we get it, and deserve it (#6 seed or higher)

1 minute ago, Father Ryan said:

One of very few things we disagree on. I'm thinking more along the lines of the three Cali teams all falling down further (if not apart), Chicago is about a year or two behind us, Dallas the same, and Colorado with continued ineptitude. I didn't say we would really deserve to be in the playoffs, but I could easily see us sneak in as the #7-8 seed. The 2021 season is when we get it, and deserve it (#6 seed or higher)

I see 2 more years of bad seasons strong drafting.

Continued improvement from Edmonton and Calgary.  As well as Minnesota Winnipeg and Dallas with Arizona finally putting a respectable team together.  LA still strong based on quick Kopitar and Doughty with Anaheim continuing to be strong via smart signings and 3 years of amazing trades and solid prospects behind them.

2 to 3 years of strong drafts with 2 to 3 years of waiting on development after no appreciable prospects in almost 10 years.

2020 if we're lucky

3 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Anybody who thinks our rebuild will be quicker than the Oilers one needs a serious reality check. 

This team is done until 2023-2024at the earliest.

Not true...If there's one thing that last season taught us,its that reversal of fortune comes swiftly in the NHL....(Columbus is a good example going up,Dallas going down)...Even though the Canucks lost a lot of games last year,they didn't develop that 'losing culture',and a general state of apathy that existed on the Oilers for years.

You sound like a pissed off Canuck fan (and I can hardly blame you).

23 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Anybody who thinks our rebuild will be quicker than the Oilers one needs a serious reality check. 

The Oilers had to clean house and get experienced people in place before they made the really big step.

Management is responsible for hiring one of the best coaches available, best exec's, cap people. For being daring and not afraid in making a one sided trade that improved the team, signing a big strong leader in Lucic, same horrible contract but he is way more effective than Eriksson, getting a big strong 3rd liner like Maroon, taking a chance, albeit small, on Kassian. Their team isn't just the result of a decade of top picks any longer, in three years their management got what they needed and didn't trade away numerous picks for AHL players.

With this management group as they have been going so far you may be optimistic in your estimation. This group appears to be content with attempting to be 14th or 15th in the league.

The next big sell.......a playoff spot, once in the playoffs anything can happen, right, tell that to the bookies in Vegas.

52 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Any 1rst rounder in this draft apart from the top two often mentioned is too much of a crap shoot.

Tanev for some I named ........maybe but this isn't a proposal thread.

This fan base is not getting excited by this regime's draft picks any longer, who have they drafted has made a significant impact?

IMO they have to make a significant trade to engage fans again. A player like Drouin might not do it either, too well known, small and has well known (media) baggage.

Oh I agree the Canucks need to make something exciting/positive happen. 

But this is a rebuild and fans are still adjusting to what that means

Now I'd take drouin over the any pick in the draft, but if I'm tb Id be looking for a younger defenseman so I don't think we're a slam dunk trading partner 

now if we can get a 1st pick in the top 16-17 in the draft with a good young player (a.nylander, point, kapanen etc.) than that's a good reasonable return for tanev in his prime before his body starts to Wear down

We got shafted in the lottery. It happens. I'd still rather be drafting #5 than #14. So what do we do now? Well let's start with what we don't do.

We don't trade up. We're not close to cup contention, to expend assets to get a more NHL ready player isn't necessary. That player won't push us over the edge. Also, there probably isn't a single truly elite player in this draft. At least, no one is willing to project that. So if they turn out to be that, it's because they take a big step forward that no one could have projected.

We don't draft a center. None of the centers in this draft outside of the Top-2/3 are of the quality this team needs when it looks to be a cup contender. Perhaps not even Patrick or Hischier are good enough to be our future #1. Wait for a different draft to get that player, or perhaps a trade a few years down the line if you can make it work. We need to keep on stacking the cupboards with defencemen.

We don't trade the pick in a package for an NHL player. This is just moving in the wrong direction. We'd still miss the playoffs, and get further away from cup contention.

What we should be doing is trading players for picks, not vice-versa. Not sure if this is the draft we want to be acquiring picks for though. So maybe at the deadline.

For all those that want to deal Tanev - who would you rather have to 'mentor' guys like Juolevi into the league?  

I'm all for accumulating/stockpiling picks; but you want to avoid the Oiler situation of a few years ago (where you had nothing but #1 overalls but no vets).

As for getting shafted in this draft...meh, as a Canuckfan - you're used to it.  Good thing is, it would've felt A TON WORSE had this happened last year (weak draft this year).

19 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

For all those that want to deal Tanev - who would you rather have to 'mentor' guys like Juolevi into the league?  

I'm all for accumulating/stockpiling picks; but you want to avoid the Oiler situation of a few years ago (where you had nothing but #1 overalls but no vets).

As for getting shafted in this draft...meh, as a Canuckfan - you're used to it.  Good thing is, it would've felt A TON WORSE had this happened last year (weak draft this year).

jovocop.... lol jk

Draft a really good dman at 5.

Dump Erikkson and Eddy. Pretty simple. 

Get 2018 picks. 1st overall is nice but I want picks in the top 100. I want more picks than any other team. This is our biggest down fall.

One year LA had 10 picks is the top 100. Then they won.

1 hour ago, Rocksterh8 said:

He's not really a canucks fan, he's an old hippy and it's 420 

Right... They guy who is trying to be positive about the future and looking back at the good times isn't a real fan. I guess that leaves you and the rest of the doomsdayers thinking yourselfs as the 'real' fans? You are right about one things, 420 did come early today. 

1 hour ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

No way our rebuild will be as long as the Oilers, plus we were a top team for over a decade prior to this rebuild compared to the Oilers horrible history over the last 10-15 years

Draft draft draft. That's the only way to build a team. 

As far as trading a dman goes, Tanev gets us a pick in the 12-16 range. Edler gets us a 2nd a B prospect. I'm ok with making either deal. But we need to keep one of the two. Having said that, Tanev is the guy to trade, as he brings back a higher return.

25 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

No way our rebuild will be as long as the Oilers, plus we were a top team for over a decade prior to this rebuild compared to the Oilers horrible history over the last 10-15 years

If you go back further though at least the Oilers have cups. They made a finals appearance in what? 06? Then sucked up until now. We made a finals appearance then have been on a downhill slide since. I don't think we've even seen the worse yet but I hope I'm wrong. 

1 hour ago, Honky Cat said:

Not true...If there's one thing that last season taught us,its that reversal of fortune comes swiftly in the NHL....(Columbus is a good example going up,Dallas going down)...Even though the Canucks lost a lot of games last year,they didn't develop that 'losing culture',and a general state of apathy that existed on the Oilers for years.

You sound like a pissed off Canuck fan (and I can hardly blame you).

I just hope management makes something happen, you know maybe get about a 10-12 pick by trading an Edler or Tanev + a couple of picks. Draft Cal Foote and pick a forward in the top 5. 

Start developing Joulevi in the NHL. 

Just now, Standing_Tall#37 said:

If you go back further though at least the Oilers have cups. They made a finals appearance in what? 06? Then sucked up until now. We made a finals appearance then have been on a downhill slide since. I don't think we've even seen the worse yet but I hope I'm wrong. 

Your right but I wasn't going back a 35+ years sorry, but they did have a final apperance in mid 2000's and that was a one shot deal when they signed a few excellent UFA's and they all bolted the next season because no one wants to live in Edm. We have never sucked and never will as much as Edm has over the last decade considering the amount of #1 draft picks they have had.

42 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Draft a really good dman at 5.

Dump Erikkson and Eddy. Pretty simple. 

Get 2018 picks. 1st overall is nice but I want picks in the top 100. I want more picks than any other team. This is our biggest down fall.

One year LA had 10 picks is the top 100. Then they won.

Dumping Eriksson ain't going to be that simple.

3 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Your right but I wasn't going back a 35+ years sorry, but they did have a final apperance in mid 2000's and that was a one shot deal when they signed a few excellent UFA's and they all bolted the next season because no one wants to live in Edm. We have never sucked and never will as much as Edm has over the last decade considering the amount of #1 draft picks they have had.

My worry is that without that one generational player, will we ever really be more than a playoff team? 

We must remember although the Sedins were never really playoff performers, they were taken 2 and 3rd overall and were amongst the best taken in their draft year. And ended up being great regular season players for about a 4-6 year period. Can Boeser, Horvat and Baertschi be the same?  Or will they just end up being Middle of the pack 1st liners? Can the Canucks give them good support players? Or is anyone better coming through the pipeline. I'm not sold like the fanatics that think every prospect will turn into a NHL player. 

Archived