The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Day After. Draft or Trade?

TheGuardian_

The Day After. Draft or Trade?  

220 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I always hated lotto drafts and hate that it made it into the NHL cause look 2 years on a row we get shafted.

We will more then likely draft  the best player we can , me I am thinking Rasmussen as Dubois was who we wanted last year a big center with skill, so think we will go after that this year!!

25 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Agreed.  But, I'd take it further so that the lottery is only for the 1st overall pick.  Forget this lottery for the top three picks.  The worst teams shouldn't drop 3 spots if they are unlucky.

I actually agree with the top three spots included. Every year there's more than one team that is trying to be bottom. There shouldn't be an automatic reward for setting your team up to lose.

4 hours ago, Baggins said:

I actually agree with the top three spots included. Every year there's more than one team that is trying to be bottom. There shouldn't be an automatic reward for setting your team up to lose.

Setting your team up to lose in a few seasons while you're playing and developing your young prospects and future core is absolutely a legitimate strategy under a salary cap system. You go through cycles, and some team's cycles shouldn't be rewarded less than others just cuz they get unlucky and not win any lotteries in their low cycles.

The only thing I would be willing to trade the pick for is more 1st to 3rd round picks and very good young prospects. So the only possible move is downwards while getting more than 1 pick/prospect in return. Otherwise just draft the best available player (most likely a center) at 5th. Just not anyone that is ranked too far lower than 5th.. if you gonna do that, please please trade down! If JB didn't talk to Burke last year about dropping down to 6th to let Flames get Tkachuk even if it's the reward is a 7th rounder, I'd be very disappointed. 

I had to pick all the worst options... 

This is the draft to not get the first, so many wild cards and no 'generational' talent.

Patrick is one of the older players in the draft.

Glass put up great numbers as a 17 y/o this season, just turned 18.

Liljegren was down with Mono and lost a chunk of his season.  

Nexus, Makar and Middlestad are true wild cards due to where they played.

Tippet has stats that put him in some of that best players drafted in the last 10 years but he is ranked around the 5 spot. 

There are two giant d men who produced excellent ppg with Foote and Clague.  

Throw this years PLD and Bo 2.0 sensation Vlardi and ad a couple of very talented euros and this draft has no real drop off from 1-15. 

Glass, Middlestad, Tippet or Necas could very well surpass Nico or Nolan as NHL players.  

Who is the best d man this year?  The late rising Finn?  Makar?  Liljegren? Foote?  Take your pick... they could all be really good NHlers.  

While McDavid and Mathews were way ahead of the their peers, this draft has a really balanced top 15. All could be really good players and any of them could be the best player taken. 

EmW

Just wanted to add that 'trading up' the pick is completely dumbass dumb...You don't fall to 29th place to do that..ridiculous...

First and foremost..in the #5 position,you pick BPA..."..your pick is an asset."....If need be,you swap it down the road for what is deficient in your team...

The difference between 1-10 this year may actually be non-existent, so who cares? No one is getting a franchise player, we're all getting a solid player. We won't know who should have gone top 3 for 5 years.

5 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

This is the draft to not get the first, so many wild cards and no 'generational' talent.

Tippet has stats that put him in some of that best players drafted in the last 10 years but he is ranked around the 5 spot. 

Throw this years PLD and Bo 2.0 sensation Vlardi and ad a couple of very talented euros and this draft has no real drop off from 1-15. 

Glass, Middlestad, Tippet or Necas could very well surpass Nico or Nolan as NHL players.  

Who is the best d man this year?  The late rising Finn?  Makar?  Liljegren? Foote?  Take your pick... they could all be really good NHlers.  

While McDavid and Mathews were way ahead of the their peers, this draft has a really balanced top 15. All could be really good players and any of them could be the best player taken. 

EmW

Exactly.  Even the scouts agree on this, using Horvat as a comparison to Patrick.   One or two of these guys will surprise.

20 hours ago, billabong said:

Pick the best player available. 99.9% of the time that should be the plan. 

BUT the Canucks gotta deal tanev for another 1st rounder. It's absolutely necassary. 

That's how you can still make this draft a huge win for this fan base and franchise 

Bang on. Tanev for mid 1st rounder (Toronto's) . Picks 5-15 seem interchangeable. So we don't end up with either of the two plug and plays but we get 2 hopefully core players to add to our group. 

11 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

EmW

I agree - it's pretty wide open.  I think that 5 is a good spot to sit in.

Personally I'm pretty excited because that spot lines up to give us the option of a few very good prospects that allign with the organization's needs - so they can elect the BPA - and wind up with a C playmaker or PP Quarterback, possibly even RHD.  Vilardi and Heiskanen in the 3/4 spots leave us with choice of guys like Mittelstadt, Glass, Liljegren, Makar.  I suspect of those guys MIttelstadt is the least likely to be there, meaning one of the others would be - but for me, that is a great handful of prospects to be able to take your player of choice from - and I don't believe the gap between them and the top 3/4 spots is that significant.

Benning's make of break will be the next two years, depending mostly on how he does at the draft table and managing contracts/cap.  Typically teams are looking to add one roster player minimum per draft but our team doesn't need any more plugs, stars or bust.  Hopefully is the former and we can get ourselves out of the basement, but it doesn't look too promising.  Looking forward to it, and hope we can add Horvat/Boesser like pieces.

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 6:54 PM, cripplereh said:

I always hated lotto drafts and hate that it made it into the NHL cause look 2 years on a row we get shafted.

We will more then likely draft  the best player we can , me I am thinking Rasmussen as Dubois was who we wanted last year a big center with skill, so think we will go after that this year!!

Never a fan either. This whole tanking thing is a myth. If a team isn't very good its not because they tanked its because they're not very good. Teams/players don't tank. The league is just too competitive and especially in Canada where ticket prices are sky high.

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 6:48 PM, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Agreed.  But, I'd take it further so that the lottery is only for the 1st overall pick.  Forget this lottery for the top three picks.  The worst teams shouldn't drop 3 spots if they are unlucky.

Absolutely. And its so obvious too. How in the world the NHL decided that all teams that miss the playoffs get into the lottery is a mystery I just cant solve

The lottery is definitely a joke no doubt about that but no need to whine and cry about it, it is what it is. 

I'd bet Cody Glass is still on the board when we pick. He's big, can score and can flat out fly. 6'2 2 way centre who is still growing......his coach compares him to johanson with better wheels, sign me up! 

I definitely agree with the other posters who suggest trading Tanev. Love tanman but he's a big chip and should be able to get a good 1st or a mid 1st and 3rd. 

if we land Glass I feel jb can take some risks in some boom or bust players with our 2nds and 3rds. Take the best dman available with the Tanev trade pick and maybe just maybe we have a future top pair to go with oj. 

Chin up nuck nation, jb has done pretty damn well with his picks in the latter rounds. With the chance of an actual rebuild and accumulating picks he may find some more gems. 

The only way I'm parting with our top 5 pick is if it's included in some package for either Landeskog or Drouin. Otherwise go for the Best Player Available. It's a shallow, but solid draft so we're going to get a great player no matter what.

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:37 PM, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

With all the options in this poll it's about as useful as a poop flavoured lollipop. 

That is usually the problem with polls, the possible answers are doing the voters thinking for them and are usually very polarized.

The first four questions allow for a degree of being plss3d off and the remainder, how demoralized or just feeling defeated. that was just after the lottery though, time changes things.

Archived