The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Big D-men are no longer the rage

bushdog

I want an intimidating, bid defensive crew with a mix of some skilled, fast players on the blueline. Hoping that we can make a trade for a mid round pick this draft, I want to draft Nic Hague. You're going to need big, physical blue liners to deal with opponents big forwards. If we draft Nic Hague we have a mix of physical, and skilled/fast defencemen. There will be a wide variety to choose from, this list is based off young/prospect defenceman. 

Physical/Skilled

Gudbranson

Tryamkin (Hoping he comes back)

Pedan

Hague

Skilled/Fast

Stecher

Subban

Juolevi

Brisebois

Hutton

Still few more to add to the list.

I'm not saying all these defencemen are going to make the team, but there is a good chance that they can. I'm saying we have a wide variety of defencemen to choose from. I would prefer a mix of physicality, skill, and speed on our blueline.

Edit: There is also a chance, we draft a blue-liner as our 5th overall pick this year..

Skill and speed do not directly correlate to size.

Drew doughty is 6'1" , 195 pounds . He might not be the biggest d man out there but he plays a tough and heavy game. I also doubt anyone would question his skill or speed.

Now I am not saying its as easy as drafting 6 Doughty's, far from it, but  if all of a sudden teams starting icing a D-Core of guys all under 6' and 200 pounds, it will make it easy for players like Virtanen ( notice the "like" please ) who have size and speed to eat them alive.

You always need a good mix of Skill, speed & Size, otherwise you start to become one dimensional and easy to match up against.

Yes Nashville has strung together a great playoffs, but so did Boston and we all remember how teams scrambled to draft/sign big heavy bruiser after 2011. Even Gillis was guilty of trying to model Boston a little bit.

9 minutes ago, J-23 said:

I want an intimidating, bid defensive crew with a mix of some skilled, fast players on the blueline. Hoping that we can make a trade for a mid round pick this draft, I want to draft Nic Hague. You're going to need big, physical blue liners to deal with opponents big forwards. If we draft Nic Hague we have a mix of physical, and skilled/fast defencemen. There will be a wide variety to choose from, this list is based off young/prospect defenceman. 

Physical/Skilled

Gudbranson

Tryamkin (Hoping he comes back)

Pedan

Hague

Skilled/Fast

Stecher

Subban

Juolevi

Brisebois

Hutton

Still few more to add to the list.

I'm not saying all these defencemen are going to make the team, but there is a good chance that they can. I'm saying we have a wide variety of defencemen to choose from. I would prefer a mix of physicality, skill, and speed on our blueline.

Edit: There is also a chance, we draft a blue-liner as our 5th overall pick this year..

I hope we take him with our 2nd round pick or the Jackets pick but i doubt he makes it that far.

26 minutes ago, bushdog said:

saw this just now in the hockey news.  it points out Exactly what the canucks are Doing!  and shows

that   'dim jim'  is light years ahead of the morons who chastise him.

the game is going to get very fast in the next few years

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/bluelines-built-on-movement-and-skill-not-size-are-working

Joulevi, Stecher...

A good defence needs a variety of skills/styles.  The bigger guys with speed have their place as well.

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Joulevi, Stecher...

A good defence needs a variety of skills/styles.  The bigger guys with speed have their place as well.

Hutton is 6'2" - 207 ( NHL player Bio ) which is by no means small. Yet he has speed and skill ( How much is still yet to be seen ) .

Juolevi is also 6'2" and has room to add weight to the 180/185 he currently is. For him however being a big bruiser will never be his game.

Even Brisebois is 6'3" - 190 ( or more depend on source ) - Again, not a heavy bruiser, but not on the small size by any means, but he is mobile and has good IQ.

Tryamkin is the perfect example of how size and speed don't need to be mutually exclusive ( hopefully he comes back in a year or two ) but then he didn't always use his size to the full potential he could have, so having the size is only half the equation.

Players can always play bigger or smaller than their physical attributes suggest they should.

I think Benning realizes that speed and skill are becoming the dominant trend in the NHL, that said, he is by no means filling the blue line with Smurfs.

One of our biggest gripes with this team is the lack of push back and snarl when the going gets tough. Even with all of his heart and spitfire attitude 6 Stecher's would not be a good recipe for success.

the rage implies fads - so, the fad is now to diss big D....

It's still a balance of attributes that is best suited to win imo - you want big, punishing (but mobile) guys that are hard to play against, and you want puck movers.

The pendulum may swing back and forth and people may move their goalposts but big D will never go out of 'style'.

In order to get Hague, we will most likely have to get back into the 1st round, somewhere around pick 20. And yes, I definitely would like to see him in a Canucks uni...call it about 3 years. One year to polish his game a little more, 2nd year to Utica and learn the pro game, 3rd year to refine that learning curve...mostly to figure out when to be aggressive or not.

This is the main reason to try and trade one of Tanev or Edler, to acquire that pick.

As far as smaller Dmen go, we've already got a corner on the market. Stetch, Subban, Tanev (tall, but light). The only real size we have is Guddy; Pedan barely counts, not sure he's long term here.

33 minutes ago, oldnews said:

the rage implies fads - so, the fad is now to diss big D....

It's still a balance of attributes that is best suited to win imo - you want big, punishing (but mobile) guys that are hard to play against, and you want puck movers.

The pendulum may swing back and forth and people may move their goalposts but big D will never go out of 'style'.

A couple of years back Poile was already calling Ryan Ellis his prototypical D.  He was saying that the days of the big Ds are over with how the games are called now.  For them it's all about mobility and being a key part of the offence.  They want their Ds to be able to cycle with the Fs in the o-zone.  That's why they've bought out Jackman and traded Weber for Subban.  He was explaining that they want to attack as a 5-men unit and if they can keep the puck more than 50% of the time in the opponent's end - more likely than not they will win the game.  

Archived