The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Big D-men are no longer the rage

bushdog

Just now, mll said:

A couple of years back Poile was already calling Ryan Ellis his prototypical D.  He was saying that the days of the big Ds are over with how the games are called now.  For them it's all about mobility and being a key part of the offence.  They want their Ds to be able to cycle with the Fs in the o-zone.  That's why they've bought out Jackman and traded Weber for Subban.  He was explaining that if they can keep the puck more than 50% of the time in the opponent's end - more likely than not they will win the game.  

mobility is key - big slow D will have a hard time persisting, but big mobile D will remain at a premium.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

mobility is key - big slow D will have a hard time persisting, but big mobile D will remain at a premium.

Definitely but they are not looking for crease clearing Ds.  For them that's over.  They only want offensive Ds.

1 hour ago, jono2009 said:

Just in case this leads into more Tryamkin discussion, he is likely gone minimum 3 years.....

vorky @vorkywh24
 Follow
More

RSport: #Tryamkin (@tryamkin94) contract with Avtomobilist #KHL is for 3 years. #NHL #Canucks

I was having a good day, believing that 'the lost love' would return. Honestly its pathetic lol.

5 minutes ago, Western Red said:

I was having a good day, believing that 'the lost love' would return. Honestly its pathetic lol.

Lets wait until we find out if he has an out-clause or not, then upon such time as said information is gathered you can either have a bad day or a good day.

4 hours ago, bushdog said:

saw this just now in the hockey news.  it points out Exactly what the canucks are Doing!  and shows

that   'dim jim'  is light years ahead of the morons who chastise him.

the game is going to get very fast in the next few years

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/bluelines-built-on-movement-and-skill-not-size-are-working

You're no longer the rage!

2 hours ago, jono2009 said:

Just in case this leads into more Tryamkin discussion, he is likely gone minimum 3 years.....

What? The OP posts a thread in Canucks Talk about big D men no longer being the trend and saying Benning is ahead of the game which might lead into more Tryamkin discussion since the OP basically insinuated that Tryamkin leaving was by design? I refuse to believe it.

2 hours ago, mll said:

Definitely but they are not looking for crease clearing Ds.  For them that's over.  They only want offensive Ds.

It's an interesting underlying theme, but it's also not necessarily as new as it might seem.

The league has been 'trending' away from bigger guys that don't skate well for some time.

I think the transition towards skating and skill was made most markedly by Detroit - and highlighted by Babcock's decision to move away from enforcers - really, the first team in the NHL to elect to roll without an enforcer in their lineup.

I think following them were the Canucks and Blackhawks.

Gillis pretty notably cited the Detroit model - and was looking to transition the Canucks to the 'new NHL' -  a skating and skill model.  The way he built the blueline - moving towards guys like Hamhuis, Ballard (who was a puck mover and very good skater before his rash of injuries) and Ehrhoff.  Of course the NHL doubled back and enabled 'old-time' hockey, throwing whistles away and giving Boston a blank cheque, but that's a side story really.

Chicago has also lead the trend in building teams based on skating - and skill - with considerable success.  But, at the same time, they also had their counterpoint - Los Angeles - who succeeded with a very different/counterpoint model.

So while I agree that the NHL is trending towards skating - and we're seeing the death of the traditional five minute fourth line in favour of deeper rosters that can all play the game - and away from the stereotypical 'stay-at-home' defenseman, there nevertheless remains the effectiveness of the modern shutdown defenseman, and arguably, the necessity of them.

It will be interesting - as some teams look to build one way - a team like Edmonton redoubles and builds more of a hybrid model.  If they're successful, will we see the goalpost chasers / copycats reassert the value of the shutdown D (ie the huge impact Larsson has had on that blueline) - or the necessity of the powerforward up and down the lineup, regardless of mobility trends.  What will a showdown of a pmd blueline look like when faced with Lucic, Maroon, Kassian parked in front of their goaltenders.  Which team will better exploit the other's weaknesses - the Preds taking advantage of the lack of mobility of some of the Coiler pwf types, or the Coil exploiting a size advantage relative to a pmd blueline?  I personally thought teams like San Jose or Anaheim might be able to expoit the OIlers more than they have, but it hasn't quite panned out that way thus far.

Anyhow, I agree that NHL rosters are moving towards mobility - and greater depth / quality of fourth lines/third pairings - but I'm not ready to declare the death of the shutdown defenseman or size in NHL rosters - I think these things will persist for sure = they simply need to take the more modern forms.  The 'trends' can tend to be overstated, whereas a game like hockey - by nature very physical, won't be excluding big, strong athletic guys anytime soon.

5 hours ago, bushdog said:

saw this just now in the hockey news.  it points out Exactly what the canucks are Doing!  and shows

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/bluelines-built-on-movement-and-skill-not-size-are-working

So he traded for Gudbranson why again?

1 hour ago, R35Godz1lla said:

Lets wait until we find out if he has an out-clause or not, then upon such time as said information is gathered you can either have a bad day or a good day.

Pretty sure he has no out clause, according to the Canucks army article on it. Doesn't sound like he has any desire to return to the NHL anytime soon

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Apricot you look better in person than you do here.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OMG DEB :lol::lol::lol:

1 minute ago, Green Building said:

Haven't met @Apricot, but I laughed.

Thank you for tagging me, I haven't stopped laughing since. 

6 hours ago, oldnews said:

the rage implies fads - so, the fad is now to diss big D....

It's still a balance of attributes that is best suited to win imo - you want big, punishing (but mobile) guys that are hard to play against, and you want puck movers.

The pendulum may swing back and forth and people may move their goalposts but big D will never go out of 'style'.

Is that what your gf said? hmmm...makes sense

8 hours ago, bushdog said:

What happens is the defense gets smaller, then the forwards get bigger to take advantage infront if the net, then defense get bigger to clear the crease, then the players get smaller and faster to exploit defensive speed and agility and finally the defense gets smaller to keep up with forwards ans get more involved in the play...

Archived