The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Big D-men are no longer the rage

bushdog

8 hours ago, bushdog said:

saw this just now in the hockey news.  it points out Exactly what the canucks are Doing!  and shows

that   'dim jim'  is light years ahead of the morons who chastise him.

the game is going to get very fast in the next few years

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/bluelines-built-on-movement-and-skill-not-size-are-working

The Hockey (Hackeneyed) News follows trends and blogs about them. They generalize as much as any other publication. 

Defense is a multifaceted thing. Larger defense corps have won the Stanley Cup in the last decade (Boston, LA) and smaller, more mobile corps have won as well (Chicago, Pittsburgh). There is no ultimate formula that will work. 

14 hours ago, elvis15 said:

What? The OP posts a thread in Canucks Talk about big D men no longer being the trend and saying Benning is ahead of the game which might lead into more Tryamkin discussion since the OP basically insinuated that Tryamkin leaving was by design? I refuse to believe it.

Cool

Nope.

Just watch Stecher.  I love him, but he CAN NOT handle the larger NHL forwards.  They just man-handle him like a rag-doll.  They can literally just push him aside and go to the front of the net with impunity.  So, our coach has to pay very close attention to this and make sure that Stecher isn't defending the other team's most dominating forwards.  Edler's been getting those assignments instead (or Gudbranson when he was healthy).  And, Stecher actually acquitted himself well - just look at how badly a tiny guy like Larsen got destroyed!

Also, it's worth pointing out that our defense is extremely weak (weak defensively AND weak strength-wise) and it's chock-full of small/weak players.

There's a reason why giant goons with terrible stats always get drafted considerably higher than small guys who dominate.

Players will always be drafted by clubs based on what best suits their needs in the near future.  Any GM who when his turn to announce his club's pick avoids a bruising dman with a decent shot cause the trend is smaller dmen with wheels...should keep his resume updated cuz he'll need it soon.

Ideally, I think the keys to a great D is familiarity and balance. 

Small, skilled D are great, until you put the puck in the corner and a 230lb winger takes a run at them or gets posession of the puck. That's when you need some muscle on the backend. 

Nothing against Stecher but how many watched Lucic hold him off with one hand on the break away?

Big is better Tryamkin had speed and agility, he was also fairly strong at 20 whatever and only going to get stronger. Hopefully the Canucks keep negotiating with his agent for a return next year. He might not bee a scoring machine but he certainly looks like he can handle the minutes and the other team's best players.

Now they have to start getting serious with Pedan, I remember when the Nucks had Aucion, horrible defensively in the beginning but had the big shot and could hit. Tryamkin wasn't given too many opportunities on the PP here.

Have to watch Guddy and see if he is better than he showed last year, sure hope they don't load him up with top two money and term.

6 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Nothing against Stecher but how many watched Lucic hold him off with one hand on the break away?

Big is better Tryamkin had speed and agility, he was also fairly strong at 20 whatever and only going to get stronger. Hopefully the Canucks keep negotiating with his agent for a return next year. He might not bee a scoring machine but he certainly looks like he can handle the minutes and the other team's best players.

Now they have to start getting serious with Pedan, I remember when the Nucks had Aucion, horrible defensively in the beginning but had the big shot and could hit. Tryamkin wasn't given too many opportunities on the PP here.

Have to watch Guddy and see if he is better than he showed last year, sure hope they don't load him up with top two money and term.

More of your typical negative BS.

Not only did Troy catch the slower Looch, but he angled him perfectly to where Lucic had to stop then turn to try and get a shot on goal. A simple random bounce created the opportunity for the goal but otherwise Troy played Looch perfectly. The fact he was strong enough to force Looch to stop and turn to try and get a shot off was impressive and blew me away.

14 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Could Guddy still get a one year, kind of, bridge deal to prove his value?

5 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

More of your typical negative BS.

Not only did Troy catch the slower Looch, but he angled him perfectly to where Lucic had to stop then turn to try and get a shot on goal. A simple random bounce created the opportunity for the goal but otherwise Troy played Looch perfectly. The fact he was strong enough to force Looch to stop and turn to try and get a shot off was impressive and blew me away.

Stecher played way above his pay grade in that instance. And that turd Lucic didn't even bother to see if the kid was okay after carving up his face with the blade of his stick.

23 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Stecher played way above his pay grade in that instance. And that turd Lucic didn't even bother to see if the kid was okay after carving up his face with the blade of his stick.

Size aside Stecher will be a warrior for the Canucks for years to come.

Love the kids heart and passion. We need the rest of the team to adopt Stechers never give up attitude.

Flyers "D" prospects on the farm team.

Samuel Morin   6'7" 227 lbs

Robert Hague   6'2" 201 lbs

Phil Myers         6'5" 202 lbs

Mark Alt           6'4" 201 lbs

Travis Sanheim  6'4" 199 lbs

Everything is big in Texas

Dallas Stars D's

Stephen Johns  6'4"  230 lbs

Esa Lindell         6'3"  215 lbs

Patrick Nemeth  6'3"  215 lbs

Jamie Oleksiak  6'7"  255 lbs

Grey Pateryn     6'3"  221 lbs 

In a couple of years there will be an article stating that big tough dmen are back in style.  It's cyclical game and goes back and forth.  that said, with hitting being out of the game, for the most part, there's some teeth to it.  However, the faster and less physical the game gets, the less I will be watching.  So freaking boring

1 minute ago, stawns said:

In a couple of years there will be an article stating that big tough dmen are back in style.  It's cyclical game and goes back and forth.  that said, with hitting being out of the game, for the most part, there's some teeth to it.  However, the faster and less physical the game gets, the less I will be watching.  So freaking boring

the way the D must box out (almost like in Bball) I still see bigger as being more effective, providing the player can skate.  Boy, I miss our big Russian:(

Recently, Benning moved towards more skill and speed which I am very happy about. Although I still think he overvalues his "big, tough, gritty, etc" types. I just wished he would've made the move towards skill and speed at the start, it would've really helped the rebuild. 

On 2017-05-01 at 2:31 PM, R35Godz1lla said:

Skill and speed do not directly correlate to size.

Drew doughty is 6'1" , 195 pounds . He might not be the biggest d man out there but he plays a tough and heavy game. I also doubt anyone would question his skill or speed.

Now I am not saying its as easy as drafting 6 Doughty's, far from it, but  if all of a sudden teams starting icing a D-Core of guys all under 6' and 200 pounds, it will make it easy for players like Virtanen ( notice the "like" please ) who have size and speed to eat them alive.

You always need a good mix of Skill, speed & Size, otherwise you start to become one dimensional and easy to match up against.

Yes Nashville has strung together a great playoffs, but so did Boston and we all remember how teams scrambled to draft/sign big heavy bruiser after 2011. Even Gillis was guilty of trying to model Boston a little bit.

Well you far enough to write "see 'like' Virtanen, why not just think of a good physical player.

Rick Nash

see? that wasn't hard

9 hours ago, Johnny Shotgun said:

I wonder what the flavour of the week will be in the NHL 2 years from now.

If EDM follows up on Vegas giving them the highest odds of winning, we will see more and more teams pursuing a decade of first overall picks to get the next McDavid/Gretzky.

8 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Who held off whom?  Lucic was trying to get to the net, and despite a 5" height and 46lb weight advantage, was unable to do so.  He had to stop before being angled away from the net, as he could neither get past nor get through Stecher.  Was quite amusing and impressive, actually.

Archived