The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Big D-men are no longer the rage

bushdog

On 5/1/2017 at 3:38 PM, oldnews said:

the rage implies fads - so, the fad is now to diss big D....

It's still a balance of attributes that is best suited to win imo - you want big, punishing (but mobile) guys that are hard to play against, and you want puck movers.

The pendulum may swing back and forth and people may move their goalposts but big D will never go out of 'style'.

I totally agree with you on this one.

Ever since 2011 and the following year when Gillis made the "Moving Goal Posts" comment it has been a thing here to try and predict what the next trend will be. The problem is the goal posts are always shifting. Gillis' mistake and that of the fans that decry the shifting goal posts, is that he never made a team that could shift with the goal posts. His unidimensional team got beat when the goal posts shifted away from what he had built.

1 minute ago, lmm said:

I totally agree with you on this one.

Ever since 2011 and the following year when Gillis made the "Moving Goal Posts" comment it has been a thing here to try and predict what the next trend will be. The problem is the goal posts are always shifting. Gillis' mistake and that of the fans that decry the shifting goal posts, is that he never made a team that could shift with the goal posts. His unidimensional team got beat when the goal posts shifted away from what he had built.

I think his comment was that it's necessary to stop chasing goalposts - not move with them.

His team wasn't really unidimensional though imo - it was a very balanced team - one of the best two way teams in NHL history (the 2011 version) evidenced by the fact they were the highest scoring team in the league, gave up the least goals, had the best powerplay and the top penalty killing in the NHL - something you have to go back 4 decades to find in the dynasty Habs.

He had a mobile (but not small) blueline, he had the elite scoring top line - he had the elite two way middle six - he had an elite shutdown and faceoff guy with Malhotra generating ozone starts for the Sedins et al - he had the Raffi Torres sprinkled in to keep people looking under their beds - Kesler, Burrows, Glass for grit and agitaiton - he had great goaltending.... Hard to argue with how that team was built.

What he didn't have was Dan Hamhuis through 6 games of the SCF - and that was fatal imo.  And all of a sudden it was ok to punch people in the face after the whistles etc - Campbell and Campbell goalpost shifting that no GM could really anticipate.

2 minutes ago, lmm said:

So, players like Larry Robinson and Rob Blake and Ray Bourque wouldn't make the league now?

Brent Burns is up for the Hart trophy, or is it the Norris?

And apparently guys like Adam Larsson, Brodin, Alzner, Hjalrmarsson etc are obsolete as well  - offensive D only in today's game.

9 hours ago, IBatch said:

If EDM follows up on Vegas giving them the highest odds of winning, we will see more and more teams pursuing a decade of first overall picks to get the next McDavid/Gretzky.

You might be right.  Tough on the fans waiting for the team to acquire all those high picks.  And if it's Vancouver well lets face it 5th seems to be their spot.

This is why I roll my eyes when folks want to gut the team to get one player. 

We need depth. And players who excel at different aspects of the game. Stetcher is a great d-man, but you need guys like Hutton, Gudbranson too. Everyone suits a role. 

9 hours ago, oldnews said:

I think his comment was that it's necessary to stop chasing goalposts - not move with them.

His team wasn't really unidimensional though imo - it was a very balanced team - one of the best two way teams in NHL history (the 2011 version) evidenced by the fact they were the highest scoring team in the league, gave up the least goals, had the best powerplay and the top penalty killing in the NHL - something you have to go back 4 decades to find in the dynasty Habs.

He had a mobile (but not small) blueline, he had the elite scoring top line - he had the elite two way middle six - he had an elite shutdown and faceoff guy with Malhotra generating ozone starts for the Sedins et al - he had the Raffi Torres sprinkled in to keep people looking under their beds - Kesler, Burrows, Glass for grit and agitaiton - he had great goaltending.... Hard to argue with how that team was built.

What he didn't have was Dan Hamhuis through 6 games of the SCF - and that was fatal imo.  And all of a sudden it was ok to punch people in the face after the whistles etc - Campbell and Campbell goalpost shifting that no GM could really anticipate.

Excellent biopsy on that team.  It really was something else and an absolute pleasure to watch.  I wonder how the 94 team would have fared against them. It was also balanced with two very good scoring lines, a mobile and large two way defense and very good almost elite goaltending.  The Hockey News considered the 94 our best in a mag a few years back during Vancouver's hey day with the Sedins ranking the Best hockey teams of all time ( the Rangers made the top twenty-five, 22 ...) I think that would have been a pretty even showdown...

41 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Excellent biopsy on that team.  It really was something else and an absolute pleasure to watch.  I wonder how the 94 team would have fared against them. It was also balanced with two very good scoring lines, a mobile and large two way defense and very good almost elite goaltending.  The Hockey News considered the 94 our best in a mag a few years back during Vancouver's hey day with the Sedins ranking the Best hockey teams of all time ( the Rangers made the top twenty-five, 22 ...) I think that would have been a pretty even showdown...

The 1994 Canucks would have not taken what the Bruins doled out at all. They would beat the 2011 team hands down.

17 hours ago, stawns said:

In a couple of years there will be an article stating that big tough dmen are back in style.  It's cyclical game and goes back and forth.  that said, with hitting being out of the game, for the most part, there's some teeth to it.  However, the faster and less physical the game gets, the less I will be watching.  So freaking boring

Yes. The advent of smaller, faster defensemen is upon the league right now, but as with anything, the pendulum will swing the other way again. Teams that are built on more than one type of player will be far more successful than ones that follow trends and advanced statistics religiously.

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Yes. The advent of smaller, faster defensemen is upon the league right now, but as with anything, the pendulum will swing the other way again. Teams that are built on more than one type of player will be far more successful than ones that follow trends and advanced statistics religiously.

Manson tags McDavid and the message changes overnight.

14 hours ago, Davathor said:

Well you far enough to write "see 'like' Virtanen, why not just think of a good physical player.

Rick Nash

see? that wasn't hard

Because as of right now Virtanen has not net proven to be a full time NHL player, but you know being that this is a Canucks forum I figured I would use a Canuck as the reference.

I was avoiding people jumping on my comment for the player I chose and not for the point i was making, something you have in fact done in your own fashion,

Just now, Boudrias said:

Manson tags McDavid and the message changes overnight.

Exactly. It's that fluid of a game. And the Guardian, yes the Guardian, made a decent point regarding Stecher defending against Lucic. No doubt that Troy did a great job, all things considered, but one has to think that Gudbranson would have completely neutralized Cro-Milan.

WTF......WE LOST TRYAMKIN.

im f'n done with this team.   The only Canucks Game I will ever watch again is in 2073 when Canuck finally make it to the 2nd round of playoffs and get swept in 4.

this TEAM sux.

Linden and Benning are now on my most hated list.  And yes mods plz ban my account, I'm DONE.

24 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

im f'n done with this team.   The only Canucks Game I will ever watch again is in 2073 when Canuck finally make it to the 2nd round of playoffs and get swept in 4.

this TEAM sux.

Linden and Benning are now on my most hated list.  And yes mods plz ban my account, I'm DONE.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out... *goes to put that in my sig*

11 hours ago, lmm said:

So, players like Larry Robinson and Rob Blake and Ray Bourque wouldn't make the league now?

Brent Burns is up for the Hart trophy, or is it the Norris?

/thread

13 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

this TEAM sux.

You think that the modz are gunna ban yer account for that fleshy little diatribe? Try harder Harold.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Exactly. It's that fluid of a game. And the Guardian, yes the Guardian, made a decent point regarding Stecher defending against Lucic. No doubt that Troy did a great job, all things considered, but one has to think that Gudbranson would have completely neutralized Cro-Milan.

Would he have though?  I'm not sure Guddy might have even caught up to Looch to be able to make that play.

3 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

Would he have though?  I'm not sure Guddy might have even caught up to Looch to be able to make that play.

Why not? From the games I watched last season against the Oilers, with Gudbranson in the lineup, he was very effective against Lucic, hitting him and taking away his space. Most likely because Erik isn't the least bit afraid of the guy.

I also seem to remember Gudbranson hustling back down the ice and poke checking the puck away from a Flame on October 15, 2016. He also leveled an s-ton of players that game. I expect Gudbranson to come into next season with something serious to prove.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Why not? From the games I watched last season against the Oilers, with Gudbranson in the lineup, he was very effective against Lucic, hitting him and taking away his space. Most likely because Erik isn't the least bit afraid of the guy.

I'm referring to his skating ability. IIRC on that play, Looch was behind the D-men and Troy had to bust his hump just to catch him to be able to make that play. If Guddy was between Looch and our net, no doubt the play might have ended right about where Troy ended it. I just don't think Guddy could have made the same play trying to catch Looch from behind.

Just now, MJDDawg said:

I'm referring to his skating ability. IIRC on that play, Looch was behind the D-men and Troy had to bust his hump just to catch him to be able to make that play. If Guddy was between Looch and our net, no doubt the play might have ended right about where Troy ended it. I just don't think Guddy could have made the same play trying to catch Looch from behind.

Fair enough. I happen to believe he could. I mean, it's Lucic. Skating in quicksand.

Archived