The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Comic Collectors/ Comic Collection

J-23

Thread, for all the comic collectors, lovers. It was about two years ago when I started collecting comic books, and ever since then I have been collecting. I have brought books from all across Vancouver, whether it's at a comic shop, Craigslist etc. I have around over 500 books, mainly consisting of Bronze, and Silver age, and a few Golden age books (Dell books mainly).Everyday I think, breathe, and live comics. i have been addicted to this hobby, and it's taking away a $&!# ton of my money.

This thread is for people, to talk and discuss comics. Possible investments for the future. Show off some keys. Was it someone on these threads that brought Action Comics 1 for over 3 million dollars. Anyone have an Amazing Spider-Man 1. Also, feel free to share recent pickups on this thread, tell some stories. Keys I currently own are: Doctor Strange 169, New Mutants 1, Some Journey Into Mystery's. I don't have a job, so it's tough for me to buy big books that I want. Books that I want are pre hero books, such a pre hero from Tales of Suspense, Tales to Astonish, and Journey Into Mystery. Small runs that I'm planning on completing soon, include Web of Spider-Man, Howard The Duck, and new Mutants.

Last year, I got to meet Stan Lee, and I was lucky enough to get my first ever Silver Age Marvel book from his signed. It was at Calgary Fan Expo, and I begged my parents for months, years, days, my entire life to go, as it was one of Stan's last cons in Canada, and it would most likely be my only chance to ever meet him. I got to go! It was one of the best days of my life, just meeting Stan, a legend! I got my Journey Into Mystery 101 signed by him, I got it CGC'd. Not a fan of CGC, but I wanted this one because it was Stan, the rest of my signed books get a Certificate of Authenticity now.

1o936m.jpg

Also, I'm curious to know how other bag and board there comics. i use Mylites 2 and Full Backs from E. Gerber. Super expensive, but worth it. I use Standard, SilverGold and Magazine size for my vintage Canucks Magazines. I will show some of my recent pickups, collections. Thanks for reading!

Recent Pick Ups:

1o93ep.jpg

Golden age, Crime Detective #10, Vol.2. In some Golden age publishers, they didn't put the issue number on the cover. Low grade, but present well.

1o93je.jpg

High grade, 9.4 + in my opinion, Witching Hour #28 Snatched it up for cheap.

Later on today, I will show off some Golden age Uncle Scrooge, and Dell!

I used to buy comic books all the time at a used comic place and I found some great ones. Unfortunately they're all in crap condition and won't be worth a dime in the future but I enjoy reading them anyways. 

Always been a fan of horror comics. I use to have some old horror comics that use to scare me as a kid but I can't remember where I put them. 

There was a Punisher Halloween special that came out a couple years ago that I was interested in getting. Anyone have a review on that?

Great topic idea! I'll be back here frequently to check up on what you guys are purchasing or recommending.

4 minutes ago, ken kaniff said:

I used to buy comic books all the time at a used comic place and I found some great ones. Unfortunately they're all in crap condition and won't be worth a dime in the future but I enjoy reading them anyways. 

Always been a fan of horror comics. I use to have some old horror comics that use to scare me as a kid but I can't remember where I put them. 

There was a Punisher Halloween special that came out a couple years ago that I was interested in getting. Anyone have a review on that?

Great topic idea! I'll be back here frequently to check up on what you guys are purchasing or recommending.

Nice, for Horror comics the most significant Horror that I recall are from a publisher known as EC. They would have covers of people being hung, heads chopped off, buried alive and creepy stuff like that. I would show pictures but they might be too graphic and I would probably get in trouble by the mods. However, many common publishers such as Marvel and DC had Horror Comics. I am not into modern comics as I don't enjoy the art, or stories. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

2 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

i have xmen 13 from the 60s and mcfarlanes first issue of amazing spiderman and 2nd cameo of punisher in spiderman  plus a bunch others

Dam, X-Men 13, Second Juggernaut, nice! McFarlane series was very popular! I also own that issue. If you ever get the chance, you should post that X-Men 13!

I just dug my collection out of my parents basement after collecting close to 20yrs of dust.  Varying conditions, but I'll def post some of my old school faves.  Not sure if they're worth anything. 

Is there a site anybody would recommend to check value?  I remember there used to be a magazine called Wizard for that kind of stuff.

Cheers.

24 minutes ago, taipan said:

I just dug my collection out of my parents basement after collecting close to 20yrs of dust.  Varying conditions, but I'll def post some of my old school faves.  Not sure if they're worth anything. 

Is there a site anybody would recommend to check value?  I remember there used to be a magazine called Wizard for that kind of stuff.

Cheers.

Hey, I use comicbookrealm and EBay, to check value of most of my comics. :). Feel free to share some of your old school favorites!

12 minutes ago, taipan said:

A few of my fav Spideys, middle one is the second appearance of the Punisher.

IMG_1362.JPG

Wow! Second Punisher! That's awesome man! First app. Of Punisher is really expensive. Probably one of the most expensive Bronze Age books. 

9 minutes ago, taipan said:

a few more spidey's

IMG_1365.JPG

I'm still looking for a poly bag sealed version of Spider-Man 1 like you have, Spiderman 2099 1 looking sharp.

6 minutes ago, taipan said:

Top ones are from the fall of the mutants series.  Lots of appearances from the original reavers who were featured in the Logan movie that just came out.

IMG_1366.JPG

That Wolverine 8 is a popular cover, no significance but everyone loves the cover, it can go for quite a bit these days..for an issue without significance. Ran out of pluses but I'm coming back here to give em all to you. Thanks for sharing

8 minutes ago, taipan said:

Not quite the Guardians of the Galaxy that are familiar today.

IMG_1359.JPG

Haha! Yes, throwback Guardians of the Galaxy! 

5 minutes ago, taipan said:

last couple of photos.  A mcfarlane spawn, frank miller batman and the return of supes from the grave.

IMG_1367.JPG

IMG_1357.JPG

You got Year One part 1 By Frank Miller, supposed to be a fantastic read. Nice finds.

My grandpa was a huge collector, he started in the late 60s/early 70s. I remember going to his house every Sunday and he would let me read a couple of the lesser valued ones. The ones he never let me read were kept in a sleeve in a locked glass case, they were his most valuable. If I remember correctly he had an Amazing Fantasy No.15 (First appearance of SpiderMan), More Fun Comics No.52 and Detective Comics No.1

8 hours ago, CaptainCanuck001 said:

My grandpa was a huge collector, he started in the late 60s/early 70s. I remember going to his house every Sunday and he would let me read a couple of the lesser valued ones. The ones he never let me read were kept in a sleeve in a locked glass case, they were his most valuable. If I remember correctly he had an Amazing Fantasy No.15 (First appearance of SpiderMan), More Fun Comics No.52 and Detective Comics No.1

Detective Comics 1 is rare af. Same goes for More Fun Comics 52. You are one lucky person to have seen those comics. 

Archived