The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Comic Collectors/ Comic Collection

J-23

2 hours ago, J-23 said:

Detective Comics 1 is rare af. Same goes for More Fun Comics 52. You are one lucky person to have seen those comics. 

I count myself extremely lucky to have seen them, I wish my grandpa could've kept them. But unfortunately he also had a massive gambling problem and had to sell his entire collection, at an extreme undervaule, to pay off his debts.

Both my brothers and i collected for years , they were more into the X-men and the Mutant titles.My middle brother, who is 48 had # 94 to the 200's when he stopped collecting and sold them in 1992 before he moved out west. Myself, at one time the most collectable ones in had were Avengers # 4 which is the first silver age appearance of Captain America and Daredevil # 5 , when he wore the Yellow,black and red costume before switching to all red in issue # 7. I don't have them anymore , do wish i had of hung on to them now :)

detail.jpg

Avengers_Vol_1_4.jpg

1 hour ago, tbone909 said:

Both my brothers and i collected for years , they were more into the X-men and the Mutant titles.My middle brother, who is 48 had # 94 to the 200's when he stopped collecting and sold them in 1992 before he moved out west. Myself, at one time the most collectable ones in had were Avengers # 4 which is the first silver age appearance of Captain America and Daredevil # 5 , when he wore the Yellow,black and red costume before switching to all red in issue # 7. I don't have them anymore , do wish i had of hung on to them now :)

detail.jpg

Avengers_Vol_1_4.jpg

Daredevil early yellow costume always looked the best in my opinion. First Silver Age Cap is awesome, looking for one myself, but there too expensive.. Having an extensive X-men collection like your brothers is dedication!

44 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

DSC01729.jpg

DSC01733.jpg

Wow! awesome, Spidey under 100! You got the first appearance of Zemo!  That ASM 122, is an awesome, expensive book these days, same goes for 100 and that second Punisher! Nice collection. 

On 2017-5-2 at 5:22 PM, J-23 said:

Wow! awesome, Spidey under 100! You got the first appearance of Zemo!  That ASM 122, is an awesome, expensive book these days, same goes for 100 and that second Punisher! Nice collection. 

The value of those books in the ASM 122 era really depends on condition and grading. You can find slightly beat up copies of books like that for about $100. It's books like ASM #1 that have crazy value regardless of condition due to extreme scarcity.

10 hours ago, taxi said:

The value of those books in the ASM 122 era really depends on condition and grading. You can find slightly beat up copies of books like that for about $100. It's books like ASM #1 that have crazy value regardless of condition due to extreme scarcity.

Yup, I know! You collect comics?

13 hours ago, J-23 said:

Yup, I know! You collect comics?

Not anymore. I'm going more minimalist, and they take up too much space. I collect hockey cards still, and a lot of the same principles apply. Stuff from the 90s is largely worthless. Stuff from the 60-90s is relatively common, but very uncommon in high end condition. 

On 2017-05-05 at 4:27 PM, The Arrogant Worms said:

What is the best way to sell comics these days?  And what can you expect to get.....20-30% of book value?  

From what I've learned since this thread started I'd say ebay is where you'll get the best value.  Otherwise there are comic sites with forums where members trade/sell and of course comic book shows.

June 18 at the Croatian Cultural Centre is the next one I found...Vancouver Comic & Toy Show.

On 5/5/2017 at 4:27 PM, The Arrogant Worms said:

What is the best way to sell comics these days?  And what can you expect to get.....20-30% of book value?  

Hi, I would say the best way of selling comics would be on Ebay, comic shows or other comic book websites. The price of a book depends on it's grade and age. There is The Golden Age (1938-1950), The Silver Age (1956-1970), The Bronze Age (1970-1985) and The Modern Age (1985-Present). Golden Age books are the toughest to acquire, I have a few consisting of Dell (Disney) etc. Almost all Golden age books are expensive and it's almost rare to find them in high grade. If you find them in high grade, you'll most likely be paying a lot of money, however many low grade golden age books also go for a lot. Most expensive Golden Age comic. Golden Age was more of DC's time and most of there characters were born around this time, however Cap, Sub-Mariner were also some Marvel characters born around this time.

Action Comics #1 (June 1938), Origin and First Appearance of Superman. Marginally the world's most valuable comic book, just eclipsing Detective Comics #27 (first Batman).

1. Action Comics #1 (June 1938)
Origin and First Appearance of Superman

Record sale: $3.2m
Minimum value: $75,000

The Silver Age, is the most popular. This was when Marvel excelled. Many key characters such as Spider-Man, Fantastic Four came in. Extremely popular. It's not hard to find these books in high grade, but there also expensive af. 

1. Amazing Fantasy #15 (August 1962): Origin and First Appearance, Spider-Man. The most valuable silver age comic book and the only Silver Age issue to sell for more than $1m

1. Amazing Fantasy #15 (August 1962):
Origin and First Appearance, Spider-Man

Record sale: $1,100,000
Minimum value (poor but complete): $3,000

The Bronze Age has many keys that are expensive, but it's also good to find some cheaper books here.  I don't collect Modern Books, since there art is trash as well as stories. I also don't see no value in Modern books. I don't care much about the value, but I would rather spend a few hundred on a Gold/Silver book than a Modern.

The Bronze Age;

Marvel Spotlight #5 (August 1972): Origin and First Appearance of Ghost Rider. A valuable Bronze Age comic book. Click for market values

1. Marvel Spotlight #5 (August 1972):
Origin and First Appearance
of Ghost Rider

Record sale: $48,500
Minimum value: $20

Modern Age:

The Walking Dead #1 (October 2003): First Issue. Price is driven by the huge interest in the AMC TV series. Click for values

1. The Walking Dead #1 (October 2003):
First Issue

Record sale: $11,000
Minimum value: $250

Link: http://www.sellmycomicbooks.com/most-valuable-comic-books.html

19 minutes ago, taipan said:

From what I've learned since this thread started I'd say ebay is where you'll get the best value.  Otherwise there are comic sites with forums where members trade/sell and of course comic book shows.

June 18 at the Croatian Cultural Centre is the next one I found...Vancouver Comic & Toy Show.

I've been a few times, it's a good show.

On 5/7/2017 at 9:14 PM, Rush17 said:

I can't say I collect comics but I appreciate the love of collectors. I just had a blast at victoria ultimate toy show today.  was fun to be around so many passionate collectors:)

Vintage toys are sick! You a toy collector?

thanks for the postings everyone.  Neat to see.  I have approx 75,000 books.  I've been collecting since I was 6.  I now buy and sell as a hobby/small business.  I've been speculating (buying up first appearances of characters hoping they appear in a movie).  For example, I sold a first appearance of Howard the Duck 9.0 for $650 USD the day after he showed up in the post scene credits of GoTG 1.  I bought it for $32 dollars. :)

3 minutes ago, Canuckfan_Brett said:

thanks for the postings everyone.  Neat to see.  I have approx 75,000 books.  I've been collecting since I was 6.  I now buy and sell as a hobby/small business.  I've been speculating (buying up first appearances of characters hoping they appear in a movie).  For example, I sold a first appearance of Howard the Duck 9.0 for $650 USD the day after he showed up in the post scene credits of GoTG 1.  I bought it for $32 dollars. :)

Wow, that's awesome, I've been collection for a couple years now probably near 1000 books, but strictly Bronze-Golden Age books. 75,000 books is flippin amazing! 1st app. of Howard the Duck is expensive af these days, I almost have the complete run of his original series, just missing 1. Trying to find a high grade copy just because all my others consist of 9.0+. What do you use to bag and board your comics? 

90% of my books are bagged and boarded.  Many of them before I even owned them.  I bought my bags and boards bulk from the states when our dollar was better then there's.  I never use mylar.

When I was hardcore into buying and selling, I used http://comics.gpanalysis.com/default.asp and a few other sites to validate pricing.  However, I find that I rarely buy collections anymore, people are just too emotional or uneducated about pricing, they typically want too much.  I typically tell them retail value, and then what I want to buy it at.  I'd say for every 10 trips to see a collection, I buy 1.  

Yeah prices are outrageously high these days, people need to educate themselves on the value of comics. I see like $50 dollar books going for over $100, and that's just the start.

Archived