The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sidney Crosby and Conor Sheary out with concussions for Game 4 (and possibly longer)

Ugh, September onward Crosby's had a really strong hockey year. It really sucks to see him knocked out as hockey is really ramping up. Especially with his concussion history.

The Pens have played well, but damn those are some pretty significant injuries they're nursing. Even if they get past Washington I'm not sure they'll be healthy enough to contend even if they manage to make the final.

Just now, Coconuts said:

Ugh, September onward Crosby's had a really strong hockey year. It really sucks to see him knocked out as hockey is really ramping up. Especially with his concussion history.

The Pens have played well, but damn those are some pretty significant injuries they're nursing. Even if they get past Washington I'm not sure they'll be healthy enough to contend even if they manage to make the final.

Ottawa Senators fans rejoice everywhere. They're either gonna have an extremely beat up Pens team or the Caps, who seem super shaky these playoffs.

9 minutes ago, canucks.bradley said:

I have a feeling Crosby may be done after this one =(

That would be awful.

1 minute ago, hockeyville88 said:

Ugh I feel sick for Sidney Crosby. I can only hope that his life post-hockey is not ravaged by depression, dementia, and other mental illnesses that have been proven to exist as the result of multiple concussions :( 

Yeah, no kidding. :/

Just now, Adarsh Sant said:

Ottawa Senators fans rejoice everywhere. They're either gonna have an extremely beat up Pens team or the Caps, who seem super shaky these playoffs.

Washington played decently yesterday. Pittsburgh still has a deep team without Crosby. Ovechkin did not do a whole lot last game, except one assist.

2 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Assuming New York doesn't manage a comeback, which.. you never know?

I'd love to see Ottawa go all the way, ideally against Nashville or St. Louis.

6 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/report-matt-niskanen-will-not-suspended-check-sidney-crosby/

Niskanen may have ended the career of a top player in the league.

Bush league.

Why is a suspension necessary?

The penalty itself was already over the top. Any other hit on any player would've been MAYBE 4 minutes. Or if you're the Canucks, a 2 minute elbowing penalty.

Besides, that hit was/is not suspension worthy. It IS a penalty due to the fact that it's a head shot, but it's not intentional at all. How do you expect Niskanen to avoid Crosby when he goes so low like that and from so close? It's a high speed game and the slow motion cameras make it seem like all of it can be avoided.

Ovechkin hit Crosby in the head that made him wobble.

Just now, higgyfan said:

He didn't have to swing his stick into Crosby's face.  I think that could have been avoided.

Yeah, it was a missed high stick for sure, but then again, the impact of that, I don't think, could've been predicted by anyone. Surely Ovechkin didn't know that Niskanen would run Crosby over like that and injure him. There's just no way to plan something like that out. Not saying that Ovechkin did or didn't have these intentions to begin with.

3 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

He didn't have to swing his stick into Crosby's face.  I think that could have been avoided.

Pretty obviously going for his stick area, then their skate hit each other which called the fall.

If you think Ovechkin deliberately hit Crosby in the head  with his stick you are delusional.

8 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

He didn't.

He was stopping and Crosby skated his face in to his stick - Ovechkin threw Crosby off balance which led him to fall in to Niskanen.

An unfortunately play - and an accident.

2 minutes ago, hatedkid666 said:

Pretty obviously going for his stick area, then their skate hit each other which called the fall.

If you think Ovechkin deliberately hit Crosby in the head  with his stick you are delusional.

I have no idea what you are talking about.  When did I say anything about Ovechkin?

As much as I'm sure the Pens want to win, Crosby can't take any more risks with concussions. He needs to sit out until he's better for the sake of his future life.

If it was not Crosby, would people still be as upset? Iirc  a lot of people were stoked watching the Canadian junior team running Ovie every chance they got, granted a few years back and viewpoints change with experience.

Archived