The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sidney Crosby and Conor Sheary out with concussions for Game 4 (and possibly longer)

18 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

He didn't have to swing his stick into Crosby's face.  I think that could have been avoided.

Sure it could have if life operated in slow motion watch it in real time, Niskanen even attempted to get more glove than stick on Crosby I really don't think he would intentionally hurt a former teammate. 

29 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/report-matt-niskanen-will-not-suspended-check-sidney-crosby/

Niskanen may have ended the career of a top player in the league.

Bush league.

Was certainly not intentional, and was certainly not malicious. I dont get how this is even a major penalty, let alone a suspendable offense

Man... it's always Washington if you look at the original headshot by Steckel years ago... that dude should have been gone from the game forever. I find it utterly disguising nowadays that no one wrapped there stick right through niskanens teeth for this. Intentional or not a price has to be paid when someone takes out your best player in the playoffs.

Ya know

It's Crosby, hands down one of if not the best player in teh game today.  So the entire sport is holding it's breath

But to say it was intentional is just stupid.  It wasn't.

And if you're screaming about supplemental discipline, give your head a shake.  Crosby was at fault for no less than 3 suspendable offenses alone this year and wasn't even looked at the least of which was the slew foot in October the worst of which was hacking off Methots finger.

It's a rough sport played at high speed so what happened to Crosby sucks, especially if it takes him out of the game forever, but to say it is a dirty play while in the middle of a play is questionable when weighed against the actions Crosby has undertaken AFTER the play this year.

It sucks, but it happens, time to hope for the best for Sidney and move on with the playoffs.

5 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Man... it's always Washington if you look at the original headshot by Steckel years ago... that dude should have been gone from the game forever. I find it utterly disguising nowadays that no one wrapped there stick right through niskanens teeth for this. Intentional or not a price has to be paid when someone takes out your best player in the playoffs.

Comments like this are a joke, Niskanen unintentionally contacts Crosby's head and you want someone to deliberately injure Niskanen how tf does that make any sense. 

I'm usually pretty stern on head hits but I don't think this was a head hit, just a hit that accidentally involved head contact. Crosby's body changed position pretty significantly right before the hit, from Ovi's slash and possibly Holtby's stick pushing Crosby's skate, and that is what caused the head contact. Niskanen didn't really do anything to target the head or really hit in any way that was illegal. The DoPS got this one right (blah!) as no supplementary discipline is warranted.

As for the Pens, they aren't exactly a one-trick pony team. Just time for Malkin to dominate, as he so often does when Crosby's out.

9 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

So much wrong in this post.  A guy unintentionally injures Crosby and you want someone to basically end his career by smashing their stick in Niskanen's teeth?  Crosby played through a concussion and got another one as a result, that's were the damaged was done. 

23 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Ya know

It's Crosby, hands down one of if not the best player in teh game today.  So the entire sport is holding it's breath

And if you're screaming about supplemental discipline, give your head a shake.  Crosby was at fault for no less than 3 suspendable offenses alone this year and wasn't even looked at the least of which was the slew foot in October the worst of which was hacking off Methots finger.

It's a rough sport played at high speed so what happened to Crosby sucks, especially if it takes him out of the game forever, but to say it is a dirty play while in the middle of a play is questionable when weighed against the actions Crosby has undertaken AFTER the play this year.

It sucks, but it happens, time to hope for the best for Sidney and move on with the playoffs.

Agreed with most of this except for the bolded. One, that wasn't some vicious, away from the play, slash. Two, I don't think suspensions should be decided based on whether the 'victim' does/does not have a history of questionable plays.

This just sucks because the best player in the game is, at this point, potentially putting his wellbeing on the line every time he plays. Yes, hockey is a dangerous game, but it is now even more dangerous for people like Crosby.

37 minutes ago, gurn said:

If it was not Crosby, would people still be as upset? Iirc  a lot of people were stoked watching the Canadian junior team running Ovie every chance they got, granted a few years back and viewpoints change with experience.

In short; no.

but for better worse Crosby isn't any other player. Stars will always be afforded the extra affections.

Andrew alberts is most likely sitting in a dimly lit room at the moment.  Nobody other than those in his family and hard core Canucks fans even know (at the time many were upset).  It's sad but it's just the way it is.

36 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Ya know

The extent of the injury doesn't determine the resulting discipline.

it was a typical slash that ended badly.........like the contact with niskanen.

10 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Agreed with most of this except for the bolded. One, that wasn't some vicious, away from the play, slash. Two, I don't think suspensions should be decided based on whether the 'victim' does/does not have a history of questionable plays.

This just sucks because the best player in the game is, at this point, potentially putting his wellbeing on the line every time he plays. Yes, hockey is a dangerous game, but it is now even more dangerous for people like Crosby.

My mention of that is for the severity of the result not the actual action itself.

Crosby has long had a history of being labeled a cry baby, yet also one in which he recieves preferrential treatment from the league for looking the other way

As a hockey fan I in no way want the best players injured at any point in time.  But some times the most innocent and regular actions on the ice before and after a whistle have serious consequences.  The Niskanen hit is a perfect example of it.

It just sucks knowing Sids history that this could possibly be it for him, we've all said that before with his injury history; but with his team looking like the first possible repeat champs since the Wings it's the last thing we want to see.

Just now, riffraff said:

The extent of the injury doesn't determine the resulting discipline.

it was a typical slash that ended badly.........like the contact with niskanen.

See my response to DBR, I say very much the same thing

58 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

So much wrong in this post.  A guy unintentionally injures Crosby and you want someone to basically end his career by smashing their stick in Niskanen's teeth?  Crosby played through a concussion and got another one as a result, that's were the damaged was done. 

So much wrong with this generation. It's sooo weak. If you actually watch the video niskanen pushes off of crosbys face  getting an extra shot in. The precident is set in the NHL that that's acceptable. And Pittsburgh doing nothing clearly shows that it's open season on their star. 

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

Comments like this are a joke, Niskanen unintentionally contacts Crosby's head and you want someone to deliberately injure Niskanen how tf does that make any sense. 

Watch him push off of Crosby's face? That's acceptable. How does it make any sense? I guess you've never played anything other than pay to play hockey. You've never played in a league where guys have 4-600penalty minute seasons have you? 

I find the 0 respect for star players absolutely dusguisting. And more so the NHL doesn't care in the playoffs. 

But I guess I'm from an older time. Days gone by. I didn't mind playing in a rougher league back in the day and throwing the odd spear or flicking someone's teeth with my stick in retaliation... but I guess that probably makes me a caveman nowadays as hockey has become more suited to the weak. 

7 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

So much wrong with this generation. It's sooo weak. If you actually watch the video niskanen pushes off of crosbys face  getting an extra shot in. The precident is set in the NHL that that's acceptable. And Pittsburgh doing nothing clearly shows that it's open season on their star. 

Watch him push off of Crosby's face? That's acceptable. How does it make any sense? I guess you've never played anything other than pay to play hockey. You've never played in a league where guys have 4-600penalty minute seasons have you? 

I find the 0 respect for star players absolutely dusguisting. And more so the NHL doesn't care in the playoffs. 

But I guess I'm from an older time. Days gone by. I didn't mind playing in a rougher league back in the day and throwing the odd spear or flicking someone's teeth with my stick in retaliation... but I guess that probably makes me a caveman nowadays as hockey has become more suited to the weak. 

Ffs he got knocked to waist level try watching it at full speed, and yes I have played both Hockey and Lacrosse throughout my life. Which is why I judge the play at full speed and not the slow motion replay and I have an understanding on how fast things move out there. 

I also ask why would Niskanen a very respectable player deliberately injure a former teammate? 

1 hour ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

your delushional  bud steckel hit was a good hit 

From a series perspective it's probably a break for the Caps, not having to face the top player on one of their arch-nemeses in Sid.

More importantly though, hope Sid's okay and that the league wouldn't lose one of its brightest stars so soon.  

Archived