The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign D Andrey Pedan [1 year deal]

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Pedan has a real opportunity here. He has the tools, and hopefully Green can show him how to make them work together.

For his size, he's very fast, and has a howitzer of a shot, hardest on the team presently.

As well, he's a willing combatant, something Tryamkin wasn't totally comfortable with.

If he can put it all together and work on his defense, who knows.

No need for Desjardins to show Pronger videos to Andrey ;) 

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Someone should show Willie some coaching instructional videos. 

Desjardins messed up the development last season in so many ways, and this is another example.. Pedan could have been the 7-8 d man last season, interpreter, teammate, and comrade/ liaison for Nik.

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Pedan has a real opportunity here. He has the tools, and hopefully Green can show him how to make them work together.

For his size, he's very fast, and has a howitzer of a shot, hardest on the team presently.

As well, he's a willing combatant, something Tryamkin wasn't totally comfortable with.

If he can put it all together and work on his defense, who knows.

Not doubting you but that kind of surprises me. 

3 hours ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

Please Green let him play, you are familiar with him and he does bring much needed toughness with Tryamkin gone.  Pedan can go toe to toe with anyone, and will come to the aid of someone trying to intimidate our players.

I'd rather Pedan come to the aid of our players, and not the player trying to intimidate them :)

18 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Someone should show Willie some coaching instructional videos. 

"OK Willie.... see what Quennevhlle is doing there? We want you to do that."

Willie runs back to Climax to coach SJHL Junior B.

30 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

No need for Desjardins to show Pronger videos to Andrey ;) 

I was in Moscow a few years ago, and went to some museums where they showed some really bizarre old propaganda videos. I imagine Tryamkin having similar feelings when Willie showed him Pronger vids. There's no way of knowing for sure but my money is on that very moment being the one where Nik checked out on us. 

44 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Hate to break it to you but Tanev could play better defense with a broken arm and two broken legs than Pedan........but here's hoping his D play gets better next season. 

I feel like you're exaggerating...

But sarcasm aside, he did have some issues to finish the year. His defence is normally ok (still behind Tanev's but not as far behind as mentioned above) but his play all around suffered while the Comets were fighting for a playoff spot. He's still pretty mobile and that mean streak helps when he uses it, so positive play and effort even if the results aren't quite there yet will go a long way.

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The immediate response is a welcome sign. This team needs way more of that element to help protect the skill coming down through the prospect pipeline.

People are overhyping this aspect of his game while forgetting he's also had a few concussions the last couple years. While he does still fight, he's scaled back on the number of fights he takes and when (which is actually a positive if he wants to be an effective defenceman on the ice more often).

2 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Too bad he can't learn to take a regular fourth line winger role. The Canucks need some toughness up front, it shouldn't all have to come from the back end whereby a fight would cause the defense lines to have to be juggled for 5 minutes or more.

Yeah, too bad Tanev can't play with the Sedins. Ridiculous.

14 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I was in Moscow a few years ago, and went to some museums where they showed some really bizarre old propaganda videos. I imagine Tryamkin having similar feelings when Willie showed him Pronger vids. There's no way of knowing for sure but my money is on that very moment being the one where Nik checked out on us. 

At 22 years, Nik is a better defenceman than Chara, Pronger, Robinson, and other  6'4"+ defence men were at that SAME AGE.. there is no height set for the ceiling of his game, but his potential is huge,. something we, fans of the NHL game may not have seen yet.

His game will be a style of his own, and the points, hits, takeaways.. of his own design.

Really hope the Canucks stay close to him,.. and for F'ks sake, somebody from Vancouver send him a bucket that fits !!

51 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Desjardins messed up the development last season in so many ways, and this is another example.. Pedan could have been the 7-8 d man last season, interpreter, teammate, and comrade/ liaison for Nik.

Exactly,  Not sure how insisting on letting Larsen continue to dress despite playing like garbage was a better option than giving Pedan a look.  It's not like Pedan would have been a bigger liability in his own end.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Exactly,  Not sure how insisting on letting Larsen continue to dress despite playing like garbage was a better option than giving Pedan a look.  It's not like Pedan would have been a bigger liability in his own end.

Yes.   I think Larsen, Tanev and Edler were all injured at the same time last year at one point, Pedan traveled with the team for about a dozen games and got no ice time.  Have to say Biegga IS a fantastic utility player, we could use him again.

23 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

At 22 years, Nik is a better defenceman than Chara, Pronger, Robinson, and other  6'4"+ defence men were at that SAME AGE.. there is no height set for the ceiling of his game, but his potential is huge,. something we, fans of the NHL game may not have seen yet.

His game will be a style of his own, and the points, hits, takeaways.. of his own design.

Really hope the Canucks stay close to him,.. and for F'ks sake, somebody from Vancouver send him a bucket that fits !!

All that doesn't matter. If his heart is not in it, and doesn't have the motivation then everything else is insignificant. 

Archived