The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Canucks 2017 draft day

Falling to 5th absolutely blows, but we need to make the most of this draft for the sake of our rebuild. First we need to take either Heisk or Liljegrin with our 5th overall, both look like potential top 3 defenceman. Next we make a trade to get back into the first round and draft a center. 

To Tampa: Tanev, Goldobin, CBJ 2nd, 2018 2nd

To Van: 2017 1st, Drouin

Tampa would much rather have a top rhd than a mid round 1st and I'm sure they want to shed Drouin before he gets a big contract so we give them goldobin as a replacement. I don't know if 2 seconds is too much, but something around a 2nd + another pick sounds right. Using the pick we get from Tampa, we select either Lias Anderson or Elias Petterson. 

Alternate situation in fantasyland: Take Cody Glass at 5 and by some miracle, Liljegrin does his best Chychrun impression and falls to the Tampa pick and we take him. 

8 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

I don't see the organization giving up on Goldy in 4 months. 

I wouldn't say they'd be giving up on him, but Tampa is going to need something cheap with some upside going back and Goldy would be the best fit there as I don't see us giving up any of Dahlen, Boeser, Baer, Granlund. Virtanen is someone I wouldn't mind sending the other way, but given how many smallish skill wingers we are stocking, Virtanen might be needed even in a middle six role. 

25 minutes ago, IBacon Strips said:

I wouldn't say they'd be giving up on him, but Tampa is going to need something cheap with some upside going back and Goldy would be the best fit there as I don't see us giving up any of Dahlen, Boeser, Baer, Granlund. Virtanen is someone I wouldn't mind sending the other way, but given how many smallish skill wingers we are stocking, Virtanen might be needed even in a middle six role. 

That statement does say a lot. We do need to get bigger as a team.

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I don't think so.

To land Drouin alone, I think we're looking at at least Tanev and Baertschi going the other way. 

Maybe I think thats the ballpark? Its going to take Tanev +, so who that plus is , is really the question. I would let Sven go for Drouin

1 minute ago, Sbriggs said:

Maybe I think thats the ballpark? Its going to take Tanev +, so who that plus is , is really the question. I would let Sven go for Drouin

Yeah, but we're talking about their 1st first as well. 

Assuming Tanev and their 1st are roughly equal value, we're basically saying Goldy + 2 2nds (one of which will be a late pick, the other one not coming until next year) for Drouin.

9 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Yeah, but we're talking about their 1st first as well. 

Assuming Tanev and their 1st are roughly equal value, we're basically saying Goldy + 2 2nds (one of which will be a late pick, the other one not coming until next year) for Drouin.

Tanev is probably worth a mid first + b prospect and to Tampa he might be worth even more because of where they want to be as a cup contender. I don't buy that either party will forgive and forget about the holdout when contract talk begins and Drouin is going to ask, and most likely get, a good chunk of change while Goldobin is going to be cheaper for at least 2-3 years. They might ask us to take Callahan back/add Dorsett to take Callahan back or something along those lines, but the value is still within reason. 

Sorry guys.......but Tanev  worth more than Tampa's first

Maybe Tampa's 2017 -1st + Howden

for

Tanev + CBS 2nd

Personally I think Tanev = this years 9th or 10th OA

Tampa's 14 OA isn't even guaranteed to be a NHLer, in what world does that equal Tanev? When in a normal year the 14 pick would be somewhere around 18 to 20th?...........Tanev is a 1 on our team, a 2 on the average team, or a 3 at the very least on a good team

Giving up a player who fulfills needs of this team would be counterintuitive to the whole rebuild process. The only things that make sense to give up are older players (even if Tanev is 27) or expendable two way players.

2 hours ago, BowtieCanuck said:

Giving up a player who fulfills needs of this team would be counterintuitive to the whole rebuild process. The only things that make sense to give up are older players (even if Tanev is 27) or expendable two way players.

Well I could see your point if the proposal were trading a more promising younger player for a decently established older one, but that's not the proposal. Drouin is a year older than Goldobin, much more proven in the NHL and playoffs, and is a better player/will be the better player.

If my proposal went through our lineup would look something like this after this year is over and the Sedins are gone

Drouin-Horvat-Boeser

Baer-Drafted C-Dahlin/Gran

Gran/Dahlin-Sutter-Virtanen

Gaudette-Cassels-Whoever

It's nice to stock up on a bunch of mid range,  soft, skilled wingers but you run out of spots for them eventually and need to obtain a bit of a mix of skills and at least one elite winger (drouin). I really hope next year we draft another center with our high pick to solidify the 2/3 C for the future. 

Archived