The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is It Time For A New Identity?

I hate jersey changes - marketing gimmicks.

The great franchises don't do this. 

Changing identity is one of the huge errors that 'modern' sports franchises make.  The whole house of cards is built on identity.

When I read the title I thought the discussion would be focused around the identity of the on-ice product but unfortunately instead this is one of the many jersey threads we will see throughout the summer.

The team does need a new identity but that should be with their play on the ice. The on-ice intensity change starts with a handoff of leadership and should move towards being a team that looks after one another and steps up when there are cheap shots instead of looking the other way and hoping for the best (which is not very good) on the pp. New captaincy, more toughness and a different attitude is the identity this team needs to change.

15 hours ago, J-23 said:

Canucks28.png

I liked these jerseys, bring em back. Especially the red and black one, but that is just my opinion.

Always loved that red/black one... had one myself. General feedback is pretty bad on them though... the gradient was beautiful. Doubt it's ever coming back though. 

Change is needed.

We should put phony blood spatters on our jerseys. Instead of crimson, we should make them pink. Pink has a subliminal calming effect which mentally clashes with the splatters effect. That mental uneasiness will give us a subtle edge.

If the splatters idea doesn't fly, I suggest that we put phony snot smears on some of the shoulders and phony poop smears on the butt area of the jerseys. That will make our opponents hesitate before physically engaging.

I'm not sure what identity that would create though!

When you mention the success of teams like Oilers and Toronto and Pittsburg I don't think jerseys I think who fills said jerseys.

OH YA PLAYERS LIKE  MCDAVID, MATHEWS, CROSBY.

If we were ever to get a generational player like these guys, our identity would change dramatically.

We can't even luck out on this stupid lotto draft B.S.

so how the heck are we to change things.

We need some serious jersey fillers.

Because we are going to loose the best players the Canucks have ever had (Sedins)and we are going to need replacements very soon.

I want a stanley cup for us fans.Lets get on that,right.

I've made this argument before and I'll make it again. people often make good points about establishing tradition with the jersey and how changing all the time is kind of mickey mouse. I counter that the canucks' tradition is changing the jersey, and I like that you can look back and identify each era with a certain jersey. 

stick in rink: the original. I'm personally too young to have memories associated with this jersey.

flying v: smyl, gradin, brodeur, snepsts and the '82 cup finals.

plate of spaghetti: linden, bure, mclean, quinn and the '94 finals.

original navy/maroon/blue/silver orca: when I think of the whites, I think of messier and keenan. when I think of the darks, I think west coast express. 

current: the sedin/luongo/av/etc era. '11 finals. 

I'm fully on board for a new look for a new core. I think the organization should embrace its unique tradition of change. 

Archived