The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cale Makar lights it up tonight with scouts galore in Penticton BC for the WCC

Scouts filled the stands tonight in Penticton to watch Cale Makar play in the WCC tourney. A penalty filled game it was and Cale didn't disapoint. Scoring 2 goals and adding 1 first assist.

A three point night on the PP solidifying him as a top prospect.  3 more reasons why hes made it onto Craig Buttons top 5 list.

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Cale Makar lights it up tonight with scouts galore in Penticton BC for the WCC

You know its a WEAK top end draft when an undersized defenseman from the AJHL is being considered as the 3rd overall...

To put it into perspective, the top point getter on Makars team (Brooks Bandits) couldn't even crack a WHL roster for more than a few games for his entire junior career...

I'm weary of undersized one dimensional defensemen.  Bob Mckenzie and Craig Button say his offense is lights out good, but he is pretty below average in the his own zone.  

You can be undersized and offensive, but you need to round out your game in the defensive zone, guys like Ryan Ellis, Sami Vatanen were able to adapt and do that well.  Or you end up like Torey Krug, great offensive producer, but a glaring hole burned in the defensive side of things.

If we were to take a dman, I'd rather have Miro Heiskanen.

5 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I'm weary of undersized one dimensional defensemen.  Bob Mckenzie and Craig Button say his offense is lights out good, but he is pretty below average in the his own zone.  

You can be undersized and offensive, but you need to round out your game in the defensive zone, guys like Ryan Ellis, Sami Vatanen were able to adapt and do that well.  Or you end up like Torey Krug, great offensive producer, but a glaring hole burned in the defensive side of things.

If we were to take a dman, I'd rather have Miro Heiskanen.

Heiskanen - Juolevi would be a pretty solid future pairing. But I think he's probably gone by the time we pick.

I must admit I haven't seem Makar play, but I'm hesitant to picking him that early.  Yes, he had a standout year, with standout performance at the World Junior A Championship and now in the AJHL playoffs...but he's not playing in the top league.  I don't know how the AJHL compares to the BCHL or USHL?  Also his size is concerning, maybe he can be that good in an inferior calibre league, but in the AHL or NHL playing against men, hard to say if he can replicate these performance.

Wonder how Subban would have fared in the AJHL?  Pretty sure he would have been at over 1PPG in that league too. 

I'm always wary of those players who jump up the draft based on good timing, coming out of nowhere, having their best performance in their draft year.    That's kind of what happen to Virtanen.  Benoit Pouliot also comes to mind.

I can only say I have seen the highlights, but dam Mittelstadt just oozes skill.   He has the best highlight package I have seen.   For me that means you see a lot of really different things and then a lot of of holy smokes.   He has Kane like moves this kid

1 hour ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Heiskanen - Juolevi would be a pretty solid future pairing. But I think he's probably gone by the time we pick.

They're both LHDs.

Makar or Liljegren make more sense...but maybe not at #5. Especially with our glaring lack of centers in the system.

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

I must admit I haven't seem Makar play, but I'm hesitant to picking him that early.  Yes, he had a standout year, with standout performance at the World Junior A Championship and now in the AJHL playoffs...but he's not playing in the top league.  I don't know how the AJHL compares to the BCHL or USHL?  Also his size is concerning, maybe he can be that good in an inferior calibre league, but in the AHL or NHL playing against men, hard to say if he can replicate these performance.

Wonder how Subban would have fared in the AJHL?  Pretty sure he would have been at over 1PPG in that league too. 

I'm always wary of those players who jump up the draft based on good timing, coming out of nowhere, having their best performance in their draft year.    That's kind of what happen to Virtanen.  Benoit Pouliot also comes to mind.

I'd say that USHL is closer to the QMJHL, just under the OHL and WHL, so it would be the best out of the three.  More talent and skill focused.

BCHL is quite a bit better than the AJHL.  AJHL is actually a lot closer to ontario junior B (GOJHL), which was actually a good league.

But it's hard to judge individuals players,  I played AJHL and I have a ton of friends that played WHL that honestly weren't very good. A lot of teams scout players at 14, draft them in the bantam draft and hope for the best, lots of them never really pan out which waters down the league. 

A top end AJHL/BCHL/USHL player can easily player in the WHL and likely do pretty good, But a lower end WHL player can look like a mid to top end player in the AJHL/BCHL/USHL.....IF that makes any sense.

21 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I'd say that USHL is closer to the QMJHL, just under the OHL and WHL, so it would be the best out of the three.  More talent and skill focused.

BCHL is quite a bit better than the AJHL.  AJHL is actually a lot closer to ontario junior B (GOJHL), which was actually a good league.

But it's hard to judge individuals players,  I played AJHL and I have a ton of friends that played WHL that honestly weren't very good. A lot of teams scout players at 14, draft them in the bantam draft and hope for the best, lots of them never really pan out which waters down the league. 

A top end AJHL/BCHL/USHL player can easily player in the WHL and likely do pretty good, But a lower end WHL player can look like a mid to top end player in the AJHL/BCHL/USHL.....IF that makes any sense.

Thanks, that helps.

PLayers that came out of a junior B league

T. Jost

D. Fabbro

D. Keith

C. Kobasew

B. Morrison

T. Glass

P. Kariya

B. Hull

And this is just Penticton.  I have now seen Makar in 4 games here in Penticton.  People questioning his defensive acumen need to sit down.  He does JUST fine.  The "glaring issues" are the things you can quite capably coach out of him.  His "size" the guy is closer to 6 feet than 5 foot 10, and he isn't a measly 175 pounds either he's closer to 185-190

The quality of player he is playing against shouldn't concern you either, because some of you are championing Mittlestadt who played in a high school league where a DEFENSEMAN scored 70+ goals or some such nonsense

Whoever drafts Makar (Colorado) is getting a premiere offensive defenseman who will be in college for 2 to 4 years, playing against grown men as old as 24-25 years old.  This is before he even sniffs the big leagues

Makar is a long term prospect but is in no means a bad pick at 4-5-6 for a team that has a need for that in the future.

Archived