The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Prospects that could make big impacts next year

1 hour ago, Salacious Crumb said:

You may be being optimistic. I'm thinking that at the end of next season we will be happy to see 25% of the op's predictions come true. Definitely looking forward to the draft.

Maybe? I think Boeser has a real shot at 20 goals. At least late teens. Goldobin could get 15. Juolevi might not even play an NHL game next year. If he does make the team I think 20 points sounds about right. Virtanen has a shot at 10 goals if he makes the team (big if). I'd say those are pretty realistic expectations but probably a bit on the high end. If we were to get that kind of production out of them that would be a big win for us.

19 hours ago, Hortankin said:

Wasn't really meant to be a ranking.

and yes 85% chance. I see him becoming a 1st line winger with bo and boeser and at worst a 2nd liner. middle 6 forward would be his floor imo.. feel free to let us know what you think our prospects potential is and chance of them reaching them

It will probably take a few years to get there. I would not be surprised if he is eased into the NHL on 4th or 3rd line.

11 hours ago, khay said:

My ranking would be:

Boeser, Goldobin, Virtanen, Juolevi, Dahlen.

-Boeser will get 20+ goals playing on PP.

-I think if Goldobin plays with the Sedins, then he will get 20+ goals. Skilled player who can keep the puck and pass the puck. I know it makes the whole line a defensive liability but it will be fun to see what they can do offensively against opponent's 2nd pairing D.

-Virtanen will probably start in the AHL but there is also a good chance that he will have an impact as a third liner. 

-Juolevi has a good chance to make the team with Tryamkin's departure and since we will most likely lose a defenceman either via trade or expansion draft. But it's just hard for me to imagine a 19 year old defenceman having a big impact in his first season.

-Dahlen probably won't make the team. First, he needs to adjust to the NHL ice, which may or may not go so smoothly. Second, he has to adjust to the physicality of the NA style. Probably best place to start is AHL for him.

Travis Green will not have a line that is a defensive liability.

I guess they all "could" make "big impacts", but we can't ice a team of youngsters and expect them all to produce.

It will likely only be Brock, but he'll be a fun story all year and will give us something to cheer for.

Our 1st rounder probably won't play pro this year, and Olli really shouldn't. But if Olli does force his way onto the team, it just means he's that much closer to becoming the player we drafted him to be. If that is the case, I expect he'll spend the year playing extremely safe hockey and we'll applaud him for that.

Dahlen is one of the players I'm most excited about, but he does not need to be rushed. Utica please.

Goldy will play, and even just having him on the team will help the rest of our lineup try to play with a little bit more creativity. He's a bit of a wildcard, and his success is really in his own hands. Kid has done everything required of him up until this point, and we need not change his game, but he needs to score to be effective. We shall see.

Jake? Who cares?
He's on his own journey. If he can provide some grit and intensity to our lineup, great. If he's going to drift around thinking he's a goal scorer without actually scoring goals, he won't be of much use either here or in Utica. I hope he comes back angry, because I loved watching him lay the body in year 1. 

Anyways, I'm sure Brock Boeser will attract some attention from around the league, both from fans and opposing players zeroing in on his skillset, but he will get powerplay time, and he will score goals with that one-timer. I can already see the replays in my head. He's the most gifted prospect in the offensive end that we've had in a long time, and I'm excited to see just how good he can become.

Dahlen is the perennial dark horse for sure. 

Hes already here training. Gotta love that determination and commitment. 

I mean if dahlen becomes any sort of a NHL player. Then benning will look like a god. I mean we all had burrows pegged for 4th pick maaybbee a 3rd if he was dealing with a desperate gm

7 minutes ago, billabong said:

Dahlen is the perennial dark horse for sure. 

Hes already here training. Gotta love that determination and commitment. 

I mean if dahlen becomes any sort of a NHL player. Then benning will look like a god. I mean we all had burrows pegged for 4th pick maaybbee a 3rd if he was dealing with a desperate gm

I don't know if he'll make the team right away, but I absolutely adore the way that Dahlen plays. Based on the highlights I've seen (which admittedly isn't a whole lot to go on), it really seems like he drives the offense. Rather than waiting for opportunities to present themselves, he seems to create them on his own through sheer hard work and determination. Add to that the finish that he obviously has, and I really think he could turn into an absolutely clutch top 6 player for us.

Was the team and players that bad that so many of the named prospects make the team?

I mean there is likely a player or two better than Eriksson, but is he going to be benched? Gudbranson? Baerstchi?

There will be roster spots available no doubt but I don't think there will be players with million + dollar contracts giving way to any prospect.

A lot will depend on how Green coaches, whether he knows how to play a third or fourth line in development for top two line duties, whether he is all about himself and winning is put ahead of teaching and how fast he adapts to the NHL coaching, it is one thing to do as your told (player) it another to out maneuver the opposing strategist. It took AV 4 years to figure it out, Willy never did. 

All this guy wants is to hope that Boeser had a summer of strength training and work out with Bo....  I'd also love to see a more mature guy in Virtanen but that could take another couple of seasons but this yr's season in utica might have rewards to reap for us if he steps up this year and plays his heart out but power forwards take longer than reg forwards but the jury is out on that for now right on him, hopefully camp with show it if he took the summer and turned it up like Bo did last year

Archived