The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks have interest in RFA Ryan Spooner (BOS)

3 minutes ago, BI3KSALLENT said:

Not really sure I see the need for him since he's a C unless he'd be playing wing, which we already have plenty of

Expose Sutter, sign Spooner.  I'd be for it as it seems Spooner can actually pass the puck properly and is 3 years younger.

He'd also come a hell of a lot cheaper than Sutter.

3 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Expose Sutter, sign Spooner.  I'd be for it as it seems Spooner can actually pass the puck properly and is 3 years younger.

Damn that's vicious but could work

Think we could capably get a decent return on Sutter though instead of losing him for nothing

Just now, Warhippy said:

Damn that's vicious but could work

Think we could capably get a decent return on Sutter though instead of losing him for nothing

We could make some sort of deal with Vegas but seeing as they are in the running for Spooner it kind of complicates things

17 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

That would be one reason... or we could move him to the wing, or just be looking for an additional versatile player who can play different forward positions.

Spooner is probably a better fit with a skilled 3rd line and gives us someone with PP skills as well.

The long game with exposing Sutter would be that he would likely be taken over Sbisa.... keeping Sbisa means that Tanev and/or Hutton could be traded for a top line forward.  D will be worth gold after expansion once the already thin pool of top 4 NHL guys gets weakened further by Vegas pulling 6 of them from other teams.

It also gives us more cap space to use as a tool to garner assets (taking bad contracts back for example either in the offseason or at the deadline when contenders are needing to free up money).

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

That would be one reason... or we could move him to the wing, or just be looking for an additional versatile player who can play different forward positions.

Spooner is probably a better fit with a skilled 3rd line and gives us someone with PP skills as well.

The long game with exposing Sutter would be that he would likely be taken over Sbisa.... keeping Sbisa means that Tanev and/or Hutton could be traded for a top line forward.  D will be worth gold after expansion once the already thin pool of top 4 NHL guys gets weakened further by Vegas pulling 6 of them from other teams.

It also gives us more cap space to use as a tool to garner assets (taking bad contracts back for example either in the offseason or at the deadline when contenders are needing to free up money).

Exactly. Chain effect. Exposing Sutter means we can trade Sbisa/Tanev which means Juolevi has an increased chance of making team this year.

Just now, Adarsh Sant said:

Unfortunately Eriksson fleeced us and got an NMC so we can't do anything with him

If he were to be traded to a playoffs ready team, I'm sure he'd sign off on it.  Unfortunately nobody wants an overpaid under-producing 32 year old (July) on a contract that has an AAV of $6 million for the next 6 or 7 years.  :(

35 minutes ago, BI3KSALLENT said:

Not really sure I see the need for him since he's a C unless he'd be playing wing, which we already have plenty of

Baer, Horvat, Eriksson

Sedin, Sedin, Granlund

Rodin/Boucher, Spooner, Boeser

Prospect/UFA, Sutter Dorsett

Creates a problem for expansion protection though. There's also the question of trade cost.

3 minutes ago, Conscience said:

I see a good fit with him, putting him on the third line with some offensive players and push sutter to a checking role. Sutter is a black hole when it comes to creating offense for his wingers.

Exactly.

Archived