The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks have interest in RFA Ryan Spooner (BOS)

i don't know how he's any better than what we already have in our top 9.

Daniel, Henrik, Goldobin, Boeser, Horvat, Granlund, Sutter, Beartschi, Eriksson.... unless one of them is going to be traded.

He seems to get most of his goals on the PP and a couple of tap ins not so much during 5v5 play... i dunno about this, i don't like the idea of getting another undersized forward to add to our already small forward group... 

4 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Expose Sutter, sign Spooner.  I'd be for it as it seems Spooner can actually pass the puck properly and is 3 years younger.

He'd also come a hell of a lot cheaper than Sutter.

So, perhaps apart from salary cap requirements, why would Las Vegas claim Sutter over Spooner?

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

What a horrible idea. 

Who needs Sutter's elite faceoff, penalty killing - matchup abilities when we can plug in Spooner's 39%, make our third line really easy to play against, and put more shutdown weight back on the shoulders of Horvat.

Well, that might be why.

Weird one. I don't really see a fit, but I'm curious as to how this plays out. If we trade for him, then we have to protect him, if we tender an offersheet, then we lose picks... only way this doesn't suck if it's a one for one after the expansion draft. At that point, we'd give up a prospect or D, not comfortable with either. 

Could see the Canucks showing interest but I can't see how it would be good for them to give up any significant assets to get him.

Saw suggestions that he could replace Sutter at 3C.  As far as I know, he's not a strong faceoff man so not sure how that helps the Canucks. I guess I could still see that happening  if the Canucks plan on exposing (and losing) Sutter in the Expansion Draft, but in that case it seems like it would be less costly to just lose Sutter and retain assets (without trading for Spooner).

We still need Sutter as our strong 3C.... if Spooner was much bigger and tougher, then go for it.... but he just seems like a more productive version of Boucher, nothing more.... and we already have Boeser, Baer, Granlund, Dahlen.....  we desperately need more size and grit with decent skill too....like a young Jeff Carter! 

1 hour ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Could see the Canucks showing interest but I can't see how it would be good for them to give up any significant assets to get him.

Saw suggestions that he could replace Sutter at 3C.  As far as I know, he's not a strong faceoff man so not sure how that helps the Canucks. I guess I could still see that happening  if the Canucks plan on exposing (and losing) Sutter in the Expansion Draft, but in that case it seems like it would be less costly to just lose Sutter and retain assets (without trading for Spooner).

Sutter isn't tradable?I've forgotten his contract details

1 hour ago, terrible.dee said:

Sutter isn't tradable?I've forgotten his contract details

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that Sutter isn't tradeable.  I suppose if the Canucks wanted to deal him, they could.  His contract is bad in the sense that his production doesn't necessarily justify his pay, but he does seem to have a reputation as a solid defensive center.  I just wasn't thinking of a Sutter for Spooner deal.  Still not sure how the Canucks would line-up in that case, though Gaunce could possibly shift back to center.

8 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Damn that's vicious but could work

Think we could capably get a decent return on Sutter though instead of losing him for nothing

At this point,.  "Show me the money" looks like a good return for nothing.

I get it now.

There have been a bunch of these "outrage" rumors lately (Sutter for coach ect,)

They are designed to make Canuck fans freak out, somebody is sitting back and having a good laugh at us,

Spooner isn't coming here, don't worry about it, just like Sutter isn't the coach

I'm going to be a little more discerning in regards to which rumors I even entertain as possible,

You want me to be a dancing monkey? Your going to have to let me keep the quarters

Swapping Sutter for Spooner is one of the dumber ideas I've seen on CDC. If the choice is between Sutter and Spooner I'm taking Sutter every time.

That being said if he's super cheap (like in the $2m range contract wise) and we can give up one of our B prospects to get him I'd do it. 30-40 points for that kind of money is a steal for that production level,  though we'd have to convert him to wing or throw him on the 4th line as a center.

Archived