The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Vegas Golden Knights sign Vadim Shipachyov [9m over 2 years]

6 hours ago, canuktravella said:

why cant benning do something progressive like this instead of wasting 2nd rounders on bums like vey or 4ths on larsen  we have a ton of cap but we wasted a ton on sutter sedins edler booo

Benning currently doesn't have much bargaining chip to attract high profile free agents, unless he completely overpays like Sundin.  Vegas might not be a powerhouse, but at least he'll be the uncontested #1 forward.    Btw, Benning is not alone, 29 other GM missed out on him.

Like they are Benning's fault for their wasted cap...

6 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Benning currently doesn't have much bargaining chip to attract high profile free agents, unless he completely overpays like Sundin.  Vegas might not be a powerhouse, but at least he'll be the uncontested #1 forward.    Btw, Benning is not alone, 29 other GM missed out on him.

Like they are Benning's fault for their wasted cap...

Sundin>6x6.

I'm excited to see how fast they can build a team ready to contend for a playoff spot. I didn't think he was going to sign in the NHL at all, but I was obviously wrong on that one. Very exciting signing for Vegas.

10 hours ago, VanGnome said:

New Jersey does a sign and trade with LV.

Kovalchuk - Shipachyov - Guy

Should provide LV with enough offense to at least not be a complete joke next year. Also, watch LV win the Stanley Cup next year >_>

I wonder if New Jersey can expose Kovalchuk in the expansion draft? 

8 hours ago, canuktravella said:

why cant benning do something progressive like this instead of wasting 2nd rounders on bums like vey or 4ths on larsen  we have a ton of cap but we wasted a ton on sutter sedins edler booo

Signing players that weren't previously in the oraginzation for only cash. You mean exactly like Stetcher, who was our best defensemen last year? Yeah, real shame. 

You mean exactly like Stetcher, who was our best defensemen last year?

Couple quick points:

1.  Stecher came to the Canucks because he's a local.  If he was from anywhere else - he would not be a Canuck today.  So, you can't give Benning any credit for this signing.  At all.  It literally fell right into his lap.

2.  Ditto Loui.  Loui let it be known about 3 years ago that he was coming here to play with the Sedins.  It was an open secret all around the league.  So, again, you can't credit Benning with his signing (if it turns out well), you can only blame him (if it turns out poorly).

3.  Stecher may have been our best defenseman last year - but he's not our top d-man.  Not by a long-shot.  Watch how he gets deployed.  He almost never has to check the opposition's bigger forwards.  Whenever he does, they just man-handle him like a rag-doll.  So, if your top d-man can't even handle the larger NHL forwards, you can't really call him your top d-man.  That moniker goes to the guy our coach actually trusts to check the opposition's top players (that would be Edler and occasionally Gudbranson).

12 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Deep thoughts here,.  But hereing that the KHL is becoming weaker financially and some teams possibly not operating this season,.  I wonder how Team Expansion in the NHL affects the KHL? 

What if, HYPOTHETICALLY..  the NHL expanded 3 new Teams over 3 years.. Let's say that creates 75 new hockey player positions..

Could that not possibly draw 15 -20 decently ranked players out of, or possibly labeled for the KHL?

Thats gotta hurt.

man Willie must have really po'd Nik to want to go back for that :P

But for sure that would drain off the best KHL talent even more. If I were a local billionaire real estate guy I'd consider buying up a KHL team for cheap as part of our development system and build a good reputation with Russian players. 

7 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I thought They get guaranteed 3rd worst standing odds regardless of there record. At least For the first 3 years

Really? crap, i thought that was for just this season. Even less reason to try to tank. 

6 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Really? crap, i thought that was for just this season. Even less reason to try to tank. 

Pretty sure Forsberg is right. Imagine they win the cup and then get 1st overall :)

34 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

1.  Stecher came to the Canucks because he's a local.  If he was from anywhere else - he would not be a Canuck today.  So, you can't give Benning any credit for this signing.  At all.  It literally fell right into his lap.

Debunked.  He stated he signed because of opportunity and because he wouldn't be gifted a spot.

Archived