The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hit of the year by Alexander Edler

Goat James

3 hours ago, The Game said:

Hopefully this video isn't blocked in Canada, but damn was that a big hit. I remember when he used to do things like this for us...

Wouldn't that hit look good for the Canucks. They should trade for that guy.

Edler is doomed to be considered a guy that never reached his potential. Back injuries can do that to people. Also almost everybody remembers that play off game from the long ago, when he had the best game of any dman that ever played for the Canucks.imo

2 hours ago, mangosteens said:

I think Edler's suspension history may have toned down his play a bit.  As a repeat offender and with the inconsistency of NHL discipline, he could have the book thrown at him for a seemingly innocuous play that happens to go wrong.

Honestly, I'd gladly take an annual 5 game suspension. He'd be twice the defenseman if he still played with an edge. Who cares if he got suspended here and there.

For those critical of Elders lack of hitting, I would also point the finger at the NHL and the disciplinary goon squad for suspending him when he does make a good clean hit. 

His problem may be largely that he is gun shy.

11 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

If there were more little guys in the NHL that skated up ice with their head down, he'd probably have more hits like that.  

Players skating with their heads down still happens but the risks that come with those types of hits, in the way of a penalty, may tend to cause hesitancy and hesitancy on a hit like that would kill all the momentum going in. Sometimes, it seems like refs call a penalty, simply because there had to be a penalty somewhere in the hit, even if they didn't see it.

3 hours ago, Down by the River said:

That was a weird hit. Don't often see guys use their chest to try and run someone over.

yeah, I wonder if he was worried if he tried to hit with the shoulder, it would contact his head? 

5 hours ago, The Game said:

Hopefully this video isn't blocked in Canada, but damn was that a big hit. I remember when he used to do things like this for us...

That's the Edler I love!

Could it be that he doesn't have to carry the Sweden defence on his back and doesn't have to play a $&!# load of minutes?

Keep hitting like this and he will become flavour of the month again. Whether it be here or somewhere else.

Brilliant Edler.

6 hours ago, The Game said:

Edlers first five years he would crush guys somewhat regularly ala Ohlund.  Injuries have forced him to play with less of an edge, but as seen here he can still do it when he WANTS to do it.  Too bad he doesn't seem to care enough to do it anymore in Vancouver. 

Archived