The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Will Not Sign D Carl Neill

23 minutes ago, mll said:

Aren't Tryamkin and Larsen still on the roster until 30 June?  I noticed that CapFriendly have removed both of them.

If they are then there is only one more contract spot available re the 50 contract limit.

Based on TB having a bigillion contracts last summer, I'd wager the 50 contract limit is meaningless in the off season. 

Otherwise, Yzerman is a genius. They have 10 contacts that are slide eligible currently putting them at theoretically 57 contacts, and had even more last summer.

I don't really know how that works (during the time of year after hockey and right before when the team isn't fully decided)...

21 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

As an overager those are actually pretty average point totals.

D-men with over a point per game can be signed quite easily through free agency. My guess is his skating has still not reached the level they were hoping.

I wouldn't call 2nd in the league in scoring for defensemen average regardless of age, but I think I know what you are trying to say. I would think it would be unusual to draft someone who improves every year to not at least get a look at him in the pros. That is why it would lead us to think it has something to do with a pre-existing issue that never resolved, or we simply do not see him finding room on the AHL roster. 

Anyone remember how he showed at last years camp?

If the Canucks don't sign Neill, that leaves Subban and Chatfield as the only RHD prospects in the organization.  Not the end of the world obviously, but RHD who can play always seem to be sought after.  Not saying that Neill could play - his numbers improved (I edited this - previously read his stat line wrong) but who knows.

I'm not familiar with Neill's game but I'm curious how he compares to a guy like Ashton Sautner.  They're obviously 2 years apart in age and Sautner has logged close to 100 AHL games but IIRC, Sautner was signed as an overager.  I wonder if this is one of those WHL vs QMJHL things.

For his sake, hopefully he'll get a camp invite.  Otherwise, as has been suggested already, perhaps he'll get an AHL contract with the Comets.  I presume he would need some seasoning in the ECHL at that stage.

2 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

If the Canucks don't sign Neill, that leaves Subban and Chatfield as the only RHD prospects in the organization.  Not the end of the world obviously, but RHD who can play always seem to be sought after.  Not saying that Neill could play - he definitely seemed to regress this year.

I'm not familiar with Neill's game but I'm curious how he compares to a guy like Ashton Sautner.  They're obviously 2 years apart in age and Sautner has logged close to 100 AHL games but IIRC, Sautner was signed as an overager.  I wonder if this is one of those WHL vs QMJHL.

For his sake, hopefully he'll get a camp invite.  Otherwise, as has been suggested already, perhaps he'll get an AHL contract with the Comets.  I presume he would need some seasoning in the ECHL at that stage.

I find that combination of statements to be pretty funny - how is it that you definitely know something that you are not familiar with? 

I'd take it as a good thing for the organization.  No knock on Neill.  Wish the kid well.

However, there are a limited number of minor league contracts we can have.  Lots of guys coming up.  Need room to sign future prospects with higher ceilings.

A sign that we are leaving the mediocre levell of prospect pool and slowly climbing up.

Based on his stats, doesn't seem to make much sense. The guy was a monster at producing offense.

That said, I'm not a scout, and haven't watched him play. Maybe there are facets to his game that will prevent him from being effective in pro.

On the flipside, this is the same group that chose Clendening over Forsling...

1 hour ago, HomeBrew said:

I wouldn't call 2nd in the league in scoring for defensemen average regardless of age, but I think I know what you are trying to say. I would think it would be unusual to draft someone who improves every year to not at least get a look at him in the pros. That is why it would lead us to think it has something to do with a pre-existing issue that never resolved, or we simply do not see him finding room on the AHL roster. 

Anyone remember how he showed at last years camp?

Maybe not average, but my point is D-men like him become available almost every offseason.

I can't put a put a percentage on how many of them go on to have success at the NHL level, but I think it's safe to say it's very low.

1 hour ago, Art Vandelay said:

Based on TB having a bigillion contracts last summer, I'd wager the 50 contract limit is meaningless in the off season. 

Otherwise, Yzerman is a genius. They have 10 contacts that are slide eligible currently putting them at theoretically 57 contacts, and had even more last summer.

I don't really know how that works (during the time of year after hockey and right before when the team isn't fully decided)...

18 and 19 years old who were returned to Juniors don't count towards the limit.

32 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Maybe not average, but my point is D-men like him become available almost every offseason.

I can't put a put a percentage on how many of them go on to have success at the NHL level, but I think it's safe to say it's very low.

Canucks Army's pGPS puts Neill's chances at 6% (based on cohort of statistically similar players).

Additionally, as far as old school eye test methodologies, they cite Neill's skating as a major issue holding him back.

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/05/05/report-canucks-wont-sign-2015-draft-pick-carl-neill/

31 minutes ago, mll said:

18 and 19 years old who were returned to Juniors don't count towards the limit.

Yes, my post indicated I knew this... my point was I don't think the 50 Man limit matters in the offseason, because teams in the past (TB for example) have had more than 50. And it isn't known, where those players will play until the NHL roster is set in October/September.

EDIT: I found out that a SPC doesn't count towards the 50 limit, until they play 11 NHL games (oddly different that the 9 games to start the contract). Or play games in any other pro league. 

3 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Yes, my post indicated I knew this... my point was I don't think the 50 Man limit matters in the offseason, because teams in the past (TB for example) have had more than 50. And it isn't known, where those players will play until the NHL roster is set in October/September.

Pretty sure the 50 man limit remains intact for each contract season (July 1st through June 30th).

Like you said, slide eligible contracts may exceed the 50 man limit. But as far as having more than 50 contracts (slides excluded), there can't be more than 50 that are effective during a particular season.

But theoretically, if you had only one year deals, you could have 100 contracts signed at one time, so long as 50 were for the current season, and a different 50 were for the following season.

But as I understand it, there can be no more than 50 contracts effective during any one season (again, excluding slides). And as far as contracts go, the "season" runs July 1st through June 30th.

10 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Pretty sure the 50 man limit remains intact for each contract season (July 1st through June 30th).

Like you said, slide eligible contracts may exceed the 50 man limit. But as far as having more than 50 contracts (slides excluded), there can't be more than 50 that are effective during a particular season.

But theoretically, if you had only one year deals, you could have 100 contracts signed at one time, so long as 50 were for the current season, and a different 50 were for the following season.

But as I understand it, there can be no more than 50 contracts effective during any one season (again, excluding slides). And as far as contracts go, the "season" runs July 1st through June 30th.

I tried looking into this further, and found out you have play 11 NHL games as a 18/19 YO, in order for your contract to count towards the 50 man roster. Weird that it's not the same for when a ELC would begin (9 games).

Now it makes sense. 

7 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

If no one is willing to trade for him we would be stuck with another contract, but yeah he was a 5th round pick and is 20, but had a strong season so theoretically we should be able to get a return on him.

mmm... dunno. To who? what other team doesn't have a guy like this from late rounds? 

Archived