The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Hurricanes re-sign G Scott Darling [4 year x $4.15M AAV]

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

True but how many teams actually need a goalie? Not many. Dallas already has a ton of money tied up in their goaltending. Maybe they buy someone out? Phoenix is still on the hook for 2 more years on Mike Smith's contract. Who else does that leave? I guess LV but they shouldn't have a problem getting 2 decent goalies in the ED (MA Fleury?). So who was their competition?

Cheaper to trade away a pick and have rights to sign a goalie earlier than everyone else than wait for free agency or trade for a goalie (giving up more assets than just a pick)

20 minutes ago, Apple Juice said:

Cheaper to trade away a pick and have rights to sign a goalie earlier than everyone else than wait for free agency or trade for a goalie (giving up more assets than just a pick)

I don't know...I have a hard time seeing anyone else spending that much in a trade for him as a pending UFA or spending that much to sign him in free agency. But they clearly think he's a legit starter. Only time will tell. 

7 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Not only did they give up a 3rd round pick for a soon to be UFA who has never been a starter, they go and throw more term and AAV than anyone else would have. Those are the kind of moves that will cost a GM his job if they don't pan out....

I disagree with you all around here.

First, a 3rd for Darling is a hell of a deal - and I suspect that part of that deal involved being permitted to speak with him and his agent, to have an idea of his willingness to sign with Carolina.

Second, the price is not more than anyone would have thrown at him imo - he's had three consecutive very solid seasons - he's a prototypical modern goaltender and a huge guy at 6'6", 232lbs.  His numbers weren't simply inflated by being in Chicago - they were better than Crawford's.  And Carolina is not a pushover franchise - they have some solid young blueliners themselves and have built some very good talent into their young forward group as well.

Ron Francis' job is anything but at risk or hinging on one signing - he has an excellent drafting record and has made a number of very shrewd deals, making Carolina a pretty respectable team in short order -  I think this is another one of his very good moves. 

The goalie version of Alex Burrows. Actually even more crazy because he played in an even lower tier league than the ECHL (SPHL) and spent 3 years bouncing around various teams in those leagues. Got his first NHL action at 26. What a champ. $350-$400 a week to $4.15 million a year. Amazing story. 

9 hours ago, oldnews said:

I disagree with you all around here.

First, a 3rd for Darling is a hell of a deal - and I suspect that part of that deal involved being permitted to speak with him and his agent, to have an idea of his willingness to sign with Carolina.

Second, the price is not more than anyone would have thrown at him imo - he's had three consecutive very solid seasons - he's a prototypical modern goaltender and a huge guy at 6'6", 232lbs.  His numbers weren't simply inflated by being in Chicago - they were better than Crawford's.  And Carolina is not a pushover franchise - they have some solid young blueliners themselves and have built some very good talent into their young forward group as well.

Ron Francis' job is anything but at risk or hinging on one signing - he has an excellent drafting record and has made a number of very shrewd deals, making Carolina a pretty respectable team in short order -  I think this is another one of his very good moves. 

Sure but it's not a 3rd for Darling, it's a 3rd for rights to negotiate. I'd have to go back and check the history of these types of deals but has a soon to be UFA ever received more than a 3rd round pick? So in comparison to other similar trades, it was a steep price to pay. 

Also, I just don't see who Carolina's competition would have been if they waited for July 1st. I don't think anyone else would have offered Darling more than that. Just my opinion though.

21 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

Yea they just aquired him. Its safe to say lack is done with carolina and only a matter of time before all the lack supporters will want him back here.

Lack played pretty well down the stretch after being called out by Peters. Wouldn't mind having him back with a Markstrom/Lack tandem.

4 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Sure but it's not a 3rd for Darling, it's a 3rd for rights to negotiate. I'd have to go back and check the history of these types of deals but has a soon to be UFA ever received more than a 3rd round pick? So in comparison to other similar trades, it was a steep price to pay. 

Also, I just don't see who Carolina's competition would have been if they waited for July 1st. I don't think anyone else would have offered Darling more than that. Just my opinion though.

We got an awfully good prospect to rent Burrows - in large part because he was willing to re-sign, which no doubt was something Ottawa was permitted to discuss with him in advance to finalizing that deal, which I'd suspect was part of this one as well given the 3rd - which is a serious bargain (and a good return for Chicago who stood to lose him anyway) - considering he did in fact sign with them - something I suspect both teams were in favour of considering it made more sense on both sides.

18 hours ago, shiznak said:

Lack played pretty well down the stretch after being called out by Peters. Wouldn't mind having him back with a Markstrom/Lack tandem.

I agree and what would it take. He was traded away for a 3rd and 5th I believe. So would a 2017 4th do it to get him back. At 3 mil cap hit wouldn't be a bad option for a year with Marky and use the 3 mil saved off Millers contract to resign/sign free agents.

On 5/6/2017 at 7:16 AM, Dion Phaneuf said:

He has put up some solid numbers with Chicago and Carolina feels that he could be the next Cam Talbot...worth the risk? 

After that game 5 collapse I don't think anyone wants to be the Next Cam Talbot right now.

Anyways did I miss something this season? When did Darling become an bonafide NHL starter? 

17 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Anyways did I miss something this season? When did Darling become an bonafide NHL starter? 

When Carolina traded for him and offered him a very reasonable $4.1M/year contract.

Archived