The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ian Macintyre leaving Vancouver Sun.

Saw this guy as one of the better sports journos in Van.

We're paying a high price for all this tech "progress". Articles like this one feel like waving goodbye to the 20th C, once & for all.

Good luck to IMac..enjoyed his work. This last piece is a dignified bon voyage.

Leaving before he is asked to leave.  He has control.  And I dare say a decent severance package.

I believe he writes some articles for the National Post.

He is a strong enough brand to earn a living freelancing and doing interviews etc.

34 minutes ago, luckylager said:

He still didn't own up to his secret agenda.

All these years and I never figured out what that guy was up to...

Imac, who are you, really? 

Who is I-Mac?  He is the voice of reason in a market where most of the writers are way too critical.  Of course the balanced approach is much harder to write but I-Mac did a pretty good job.  I think he got painted as wishy washy because he refused to assume that the owners were the villains and by default, management as well.  Here's the secret, they want the same that we want, a cup.  The more you scrutinize, the easier it is to question the little things.  Believe me, the vitriol that gets slung around this town over this club is damn near all small stuff and conjecture.

Maybe/Hopefully he's going to Rogers or somewhere bigger where he gets to be the Canucks representative considering his immense background experience in this market. If not, maybe he just decided to not continue writing full time and do freelancing and intermission for Canucks as someone else mentioned.

24 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Leaving before he is asked to leave.  He has control.  And I dare say a decent severance package.

I believe he writes some articles for the National Post.

He is a strong enough brand to earn a living freelancing and doing interviews etc.

Who is I-Mac?  He is the voice of reason in a market where most of the writers are way too critical.  Of course the balanced approach is much harder to write but I-Mac did a pretty good job.  I think he got painted as wishy washy because he refused to assume that the owners were the villains and by default, management as well.  Here's the secret, they want the same that we want, a cup.  The more you scrutinize, the easier it is to question the little things.  Believe me, the vitriol that gets slung around this town over this club is damn near all small stuff and conjecture.

Exactly. What's his deal anyways? I've always been incredibly suspicious of his levelheadedness. Just seems so odd compared to what we're used to from the scum scrum

While this guy isn't/wasn't terrible - can we just have, like the Canucks, a full rebuild of the sports media in Vancouver please?  It's time to move on from a lot of these slugs. 

19 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Exactly. What's his deal anyways? I've always been incredibly suspicious of his levelheadedness. Just seems so odd compared to what we're used to from the scum scrum

I think his deal has been to take the facts and to use his considerable knowledge to offer us his level-headed opinion. I can certainly understand people being suspicious of this as we've become used to being continually fed nonstop BS by the mainstream media. In my opinion, Ian is one of the last of a breed of journalists who we had good cause to listen to, perhaps not always to agree with,  but whose opinion has always been worthy of consideration and respect. I hope we get to see his work in another field.

Archived