The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks will win cup in 2025, Horvat wins Conn Smythe

IBatch

Discussion.  I haven't made a thread for a while so apologies is I tagged this wrong.

Was wondering what the general consensus is out there for when fans think we would be ready to make our next final appearance, this time coming out on top of course, our organizational puck luck is due. ( Overdue! Screw you draft lotto!)

Historically the Canucks went to the finals three times, 1981-82, 1994, 2011.

The first time was a bit of a fluke, early the best teams lost, oppening up the way for the team to make the finals where they were easily broomed by probably the third best team all-time in the Islanders, forcing one game to OT.  It is considered one of the most boring finals in the modern era by the Hockey News.   However towel power came out of it and is copied by fans everywhere since, thanks and R.I.P. Neilson.

The 1994 team was a powerhouse, featuring stars Linden and Bure, and recent Vezina finalist Kirk in net. Balanced scoring, well balanced two way defense corp.  Dispatched a very good Calgary and Toronto team on the way to the best final of the modern era featuring the best team in the league at the time NYR...two goals separated the clubs, and game seven was a game for the ages...of course we lost.

2011 team was the best in the league, unfortunately we faced Thomas at the height of his powers.  He holds the record for most shots against in the playoffs, and most in the finals..most saves too.  Suck eggs Timmy.

Historically we get a team to the finals about every fifteen years.  That would put us at around 2024-27 for our next appearance.  This works out for our rebuild time frame considering we need an elite goalie, two more star forwards and a true first pairing to go along with budding Swiss Army knife eventual selke winner, Horvat.

Boesser looks like a star winger in the making, Demko is a big maybe, and Juolevi is compared to Vlasic, not too shabby for a start.

It's 2017 now, the next three years we will likely draft three 1-5 th first rounders that will take 1-3 years of development before making the team.  That puts our 2020 pick in our lineup no later than 2023.  Those four or five guys ( including this year's pick and the 2022 pick) supplemented hopefully by some sound second rounders will be reaching their early prime together around 2025... Of course not all will work out..Horvat, Juolevi, Boesser and possibly Demko and a couple others will be in their peak prime much like the Sedins were 2010-201, and this team will be back in perrenial contention.

At least that's how i see things.  The next couple years at the draft table are crucial, as is allowing the young guys to develop properly before bringing them on.  Looking forward to the next version of this team, and despite all the negative press and criticism I don't think we are off track.  We've gone from worst prospect pool under Gillis ( which is ok, he was trying to win a cup), to middle of the pack in three years, with four guys in the top hundred prospects in the world.

Benning did the noble thing by trying to win with the Sedins.  That chapter is done, we are on to the next team now, and the Sedins last gift to us will be the cap space back.

So 2025 cup or bust!

Thoughts?  

1982, not 81.  Brodeur's performance was one of the best goaltending displays in playoff history.

As for your prediction...timeline seems reasonable.  We're at least a couple Grade A players away from being able to make the final though.  We better win one of these lotteries.

29 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I predict Green utilizes the Sedins well, and our rookies perform well. We end up picking 11-15 next year in a year when we really need to draft top 3.

How did the tank work for you in 2017? 

Seriously....I see no reason to not expect a contending team as soon as Juolevi is producing...that will give us at least 3 D. who can produce points (Stecher and Hutton) and one of Subban or McEneny could be the fourth D. producing points.

The kids we have now will be ready by then as well....say the year after next ...so 2019....2020 at latest and we are back in contention...I .say 2021-22 could see us back in the finals.

Baer / Bo / Boeser

Granny / Vilardi or Glass / Goldy or Rodin

Virtanen / Dahlen / Rodin or Goldy

Guance / Gaudette / Suter

Juolevi / Gudbranson (or Dahlin)

Hutton / Stecher

McEneny / Tanev

ive come to terms with the fact this franchise will never win a cup in my lifetime (and im still in my late 20s).  So should you.

its been 50 years now.  And they couldn't be farther away from a cup if they tried.   This franchise is absolutely hopeless.  and I have 0 confidence that this "management" team are the ones that are going to build a cup team.  

they have been chasing their tails for 3 years and counting.  trying to "make the playoffs" when the entire universe (including my 4 year old nephew) could tell that this team was loooooooong overdue for a teardown.   3 years of Wasted years/ aging assets and here we are. now they want to "rebuild".

but even the "Rebuild" doesn't come across as honest. It just seems forced. because linden would have faced certain ridicule from the entire universe if he opened his mouth and the words "playoffs" came out of them again.   I don't buy it.

until this team gets a competent management. who clearly states their goal is a Stanley cup. And actually shows it with their actions (Ex. not signing Eriksson to 6x6, or trading away high picks like candy) then there might be room for a little optimism/light at the end of the tunnel.  I personally don't see it though.  at least not with linden in charge.

1 minute ago, sam13371337 said:

ive come to terms with the fact this franchise will never win a cup in my lifetime (and im still in my late 20s).  So should you.

its been 50 years now.  And they couldn't be farther away from a cup if they tried.   This franchise is absolutely hopeless.  and I have 0 confidence that this "management" team are the ones that are going to build a cup team.  

they have been chasing their tails for 3 years and counting.  trying to "make the playoffs" when the entire universe (including my 4 year old nephew) could tell that this team was loooooooong overdue for a teardown.   3 years of Wasted years/ aging assets and here we are. now they want to "rebuild".

but even the "Rebuild" doesn't come across as honest. It just seems forced. because linden would have faced certain ridicule from the entire universe if he opened his mouth and the words "playoffs" came out of them again.   I don't buy it.

until this team gets a competent management. who clearly states their goal is a Stanley cup. And actually shows it with their actions (Ex. not signing Eriksson to 6x6, or trading away high picks like candy) then there might be room for a little optimism/light at the end of the tunnel.  I personally don't see it though.  at least not with linden in charge.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. 

don't worry im not going anywhere?  just because you are not a screaming 12 year old cheerleader/robot.  Doesn't mean you abandon your team. even if you know they are hopeless. 

they say you can pick your wife, nationality, gender, etc...  But you cant pick your favorite team unfortunately. it picks you, and keeps you for life.

55 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

1982, not 81.  Brodeur's performance was one of the best goaltending displays in playoff history.

As for your prediction...timeline seems reasonable.  We're at least a couple Grade A players away from being able to make the final though.  We better win one of these lotteries.

Whoops, edited.  Thanks.  Yes on the lotto, but even more so sound drafting.  Five years later drafts often would be re-done differently.   Next year's should be a good one...

49 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I predict Green utilizes the Sedins well, and our rookies perform well. We end up picking 11-15 next year in a year when we really need to draft top 3.

I like your positive thoughts....still early in the process so hard to tell what the summer brings but I think Canucks end up 2nd or 3rd last again.

Can't wait to see what they do with 33 and 22 in the summer of 2018.

53 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

You may be right, the team resurged under WD in his first year....but It won't be sustainable, especially once the Sedins retire.  

I'd guess that we'll become a perennial playoff team by 2020 if all goes well, but a Cup in these days is somewhat of a crapshoot. You can become one of the best teams but to win a Cup, a lot of the right things have to happen it today's NHL.

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

I'd guess that we'll become a perennial playoff team by 2020 if all goes well, but a Cup in these days is somewhat of a crapshoot. You can become one of the best teams but to win a Cup, a lot of the right things have to happen it today's NHL.

So true.  Players staying healthy kept a Cup from our guys in 2011 for sure.  

12 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I like your positive thoughts....still early in the process so hard to tell what the summer brings but I think Canucks end up 2nd or 3rd last again.

Can't wait to see what they do with 33 and 22 in the summer of 2018.

Hopefully nothing. It's time to turn the page.

27 minutes ago, sam13371337 said:

they say you can pick your wife, nationality, gender, etc...  But you cant pick your favorite team unfortunately. it picks you, and keeps you for life.

Wrong,  it's your own kids that you can't pick - everything else in life is a choice. 

You could easily never come back to CDC and never follow this team again if you committed yourself. 

5 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

That being the case, somehow or some way this team needs to aspire to be as much like he Chicago Blackhawks as they can. I say that because they're the only team in recent history to win multiple cups in near rapid succession. That cant all be good luck. They had to be good enough and deep enough to overcome any bad luck that came their way, and they did. That's what I would like for the Canucks. If we had a team like that then we'd almost be guaranteed 1 cup at least.

Archived