IBatch

Canucks will win cup in 2025, Horvat wins Conn Smythe

Rate this topic

5 minutes ago, Riviera82 said:

Hopefully nothing. It's time to turn the page.

I'd prefer to do something. Trade them at the deadline. Don't let them Mats Sundin you.

It'll be interesting to see how it's handled. I smell a couple of one year deals.

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So true.  Players staying healthy kept a Cup from our guys in 2011 for sure.  

I think it was more than just that, but I've beaten that horse to death. Were our players not healthy in round 1 when we almost completed one of the greatest chokes in league history? That team had it's deficiencies for sure, and not making it past round 1 since then is proof of that.

11 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

You could easily never come back to CDC and never follow this team again if you committed yourself. 

I wish many here would follow through on this sentiment. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

How did the tank work for you in 2017? 

It guaranteed the team a top 5 pick instead of 7th, and the 2nd pick in rounds 2-4 avoiding the Vegas bump.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

It guaranteed the team a top 5 pick instead of 7th, and the 2nd pick in rounds 2-4 avoiding the Vegas bump.

pucking rights it did. I can't wait to draft 32nd.

12 minutes ago, Riviera82 said:

That being the case, somehow or some way this team needs to aspire to be as much like he Chicago Blackhawks as they can. I say that because they're the only team in recent history to win multiple cups in near rapid succession. That cant all be good luck. They had to be good enough and deep enough to overcome any bad luck that came their way, and they did. That's what I would like for the Canucks. If we had a team like that then we'd almost be guaranteed 1 cup at least.

The thing about the Hawks is their core was the same but the supporting pieces were different between cup runs. They maintained the depth and leverage to swap out supporting pieces by only signing their most important pieces to big time contracts (Toews, Kane, Keith), and trading away support pieces for picks/younger equivalent replacements. 

It wasn't just that they were super deep for 1-5 years and overcame injuries/age through linear depth. They kept their window moving horizontally by constantly replacing depth.

3 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

pucking rights it did. I can't wait to draft 32nd.

33rd. But that's better than 35-38th.

8 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

33rd. But that's better than 35-38th.

33rd? wtf happened there

1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

What tank?

we sucked.  Straight up.  And injuries.

15 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

33rd? wtf happened there

There's 31 teams now. The first pick of round 2 is pick 32. We pick 33.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

33rd? wtf happened there

31 picks in the first round now, 33rd is the 2nd pick in round 2

EDIT ^^ Wellwood beat me to it

Edited by MattJVD

2 hours ago, Drakrami said:

We didn't tank. We legitimately sucked. There's a difference.

We couldn't score at all and if we didn't have Miller saving our bacon on a nightly basis we would have been even worse.

2nd from the bottom is who we are.

For real.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

We couldn't score at all and if we didn't have Miller saving our bacon on a nightly basis we would have been even worse.

For real.

Will we be at or near the bottom again next season?  

3 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I predict Green utilizes the Sedins well, and our rookies perform well. We end up picking 11-15 next year in a year when we really need to draft top 3.

I also think that Green will utilize the Sedins much better than WD and they will be effective second liners and be good on PP. And I also agree that we will be picking in 10-15... then, we will win the #1 spot against the odds.  

1 hour ago, Where's Wellwood said:

There's 31 teams now. The first pick of round 2 is pick 32. We pick 33.

Awwww....so logical haha. 

I think we'll make the playoffs in 2019-2020, take a couple years and then put it together on the back of Demko (if we are at all). So 2022.

We need a 1st line center, some powerforwards and a Norris trophy defenceman not to mention a top coach.

I don't see any of those guys being found in the 2017 draft.

2018 draft has a top defenceman but doubt we get Dahlin. 

2019 is our last chance to draft one of our needs before we get them developing and playing in the NHL by 2021-2022.

Going to have to be trades in the ideal world. Lets say the 2017 we pick our top center, whether it be Glass or Mittelstatd or Vilardi, and they end up developing for a year back at junior, then 1 year in the AHL then a 40-40 split between the NHL-AHL and finally a full season in the NHL as a top-6 center. That's 2019-2020 before they're really useful for the Canucks, which is when we make the playoffs. Not deep enough though, we get bounced in an early round.

We need our Norris D-man to be ready for 2021-2022. Hopefully we draft him in the 2018 draft, a slightly older guy who's played with men ideally (eg. in Europe). Takes him 1 year to develop back in his original league, 1 year in the AHL and then 2020-2021 he makes the Canucks as a 17-20 minute guy, then in 2021-2022 he's a top-4 20-25 minute defenceman hitting his prime.

That's the key - get all the good core guys hitting their prime at the same time. Baertschi, Boeser, Horvat, Granlund and Sutter will all be veterans then. Hutton, Stecher, Gudbranson and Tanev will be too. All those guys will be on the tail end (but still in) their prime. Demko will be smack bang in it. Subban and Juolevi will just be hitting their prime, as will the 2017 pick and hopefully 2018.

As for powerforwards, just trade picks or prospects for them as we become buyers around the 2020 mark.

That's how you win in the playoffs these days - time the core to peak at the right time.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

For real.

Correct. The Canucks have slid past the point of desiring a tank. It's just honest horridity now.

We didn't tank.

Oh, we most definitetly did tank!  We tanked harder than a goldfish.  Just look at the roster-moves we made starting about a week or two before the trade deadline.  You can't justify our late-season roster - if you assume we were trying to win.  It's literally unjustifiable.  Just baffling.  Yet, it makes perfect sense if you assume we were tanking.