The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks will win cup in 2025, Horvat wins Conn Smythe

IBatch

1 minute ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Oh, we most definitetly did tank!  We tanked harder than a goldfish.  Just look at the roster-moves we made starting about a week or two before the trade deadline.  You can't justify our late-season roster - if you assume we were trying to win.  It's literally unjustifiable.  Just baffling.  Yet, it makes perfect sense if you assume we were tanking.

Any team with Megna is seriously in tank mode.B)

3 hours ago, sam13371337 said:

ive come to terms with the fact this franchise will never win a cup in my lifetime (and im still in my late 20s).  So should you.

its been 50 years now.  And they couldn't be farther away from a cup if they tried.   This franchise is absolutely hopeless.  and I have 0 confidence that this "management" team are the ones that are going to build a cup team.  

they have been chasing their tails for 3 years and counting.  trying to "make the playoffs" when the entire universe (including my 4 year old nephew) could tell that this team was loooooooong overdue for a teardown.   3 years of Wasted years/ aging assets and here we are. now they want to "rebuild".

but even the "Rebuild" doesn't come across as honest. It just seems forced. because linden would have faced certain ridicule from the entire universe if he opened his mouth and the words "playoffs" came out of them again.   I don't buy it.

until this team gets a competent management. who clearly states their goal is a Stanley cup. And actually shows it with their actions (Ex. not signing Eriksson to 6x6, or trading away high picks like candy) then there might be room for a little optimism/light at the end of the tunnel.  I personally don't see it though.  at least not with linden in charge.

I think many of us long time fans feel your pain. I've been saying to myself for years that the day I can skip work to go to the parade will eventually come, and every year I end up in a pub after the season with my buddies throwing around F-bombs and complaining to no end about all the problems with this team. 

My mom immigrated to Canada in 1959 and somehow became the biggest Canuck fan I knew. My biggest hope during the run up to 2011 was that she'd get to see her adopted team win the Cup. Unfortunately she passed away in 2013 not getting that opportunity, and that's when, while thinking about my own mortality,  I started wondering whether I'd get the chance within my lifetime. 

It can be a real downer sometimes, but I'm not going anywhere and this team will always be my team anyway. The way I look at it, since I don't have any control over what management does and doesn't do, I'm going to just jump on board and get behind this bunch of young kids even if they have no hope in hell of winning anytime soon.

There'll be a lot of losing between now and our first Cup win, but so what. I'll still be around cheering and hoping that they'll win that Cup in my lifetime.

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I have a feeling the '20s decade is going to be a great time for Canucks fans.

To be honest I'm not sure if I see enough in our pipeline to make it work. You need good drafting, good trades and good luck to make it in today's playoffs. The Oilers were the last of the bunch to scam the drafting system, now in the new NHL I think scouting is going to be more important than ever before, and the teams who do a good job of it are going to come out on top. Then teams like Philly get lucky this 2017 draft which is what we'll need as well.

Not sure if I see a Cup contending team with our young core to be honest. Baertschi, Boeser, Horvat, Stecher, Hutton, Demko, Granlund, Dahlen, Goldobin, Juolevi? To be honest, the only "elite" players there are Horvat and Demko. We'll see about the rest of them. Boeser and Dahlen will push for it. The rest are very much above-average players, not many great players.

It's not easy but with the drafting changing I think we're going to need JB to pull some magic out of his ass to secure us an elite player. We still need an elite top center and defenceman, and they're not on the cards without a brilliant draft or trade.

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Will we be at or near the bottom again next season?  

Hell yeah we will.

We have terrible offense, no #1 or #2 defenseman.

2017 draft pick realistically doesn't make team

The Kids are good, but not THAT good.

i admit I was a tankist these last few years but with the new lottery system, I'm quite happy that for the next few years we don't have to tank to get a chance at top 3 picks. That being said, there are other ways to build a team without too 3 picks...

good drafting, especially 2nd and 3rd rounders are incredibly important To be a Stanley cup contender in the future and I think benning has shown potentially good results in this ares so far. Also we need to hit the jackpot with a few of these picks. . I look at Nashville and their team is built with good drafting (they did luck out with the trade for forseburg), but other than Seth jones, I don't believe they've had a high pick for a while. Even the core ducks, who are perennial contender is built with strong drafting. They've had 5th pick (lindholm) and 10th x2 (fowler , Ritchie). The sharks and the rangers are  other teams in that same mold. 

16 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I have a feeling the '20s decade is going to be a great time for Canucks fans.

In the 20s, i feel like the road to the cup will be through mcDavid in the west and Matthews in the East in their primes. Nucks will need to work twice as hard to get past them.

On 2017-5-7 at 1:32 PM, Where's Wellwood said:

I predict Green utilizes the Sedins well, and our rookies perform well. We end up picking 11-15 next year in a year when we really need to draft top 3.

I hope the first bit is right. Jim can find talent later if needed too.

23 hours ago, sam13371337 said:

ive come to terms with the fact this franchise will never win a cup in my lifetime (and im still in my late 20s).  So should you.

its been 50 years now.  And they couldn't be farther away from a cup if they tried.   This franchise is absolutely hopeless.  and I have 0 confidence that this "management" team are the ones that are going to build a cup team.  

they have been chasing their tails for 3 years and counting.  trying to "make the playoffs" when the entire universe (including my 4 year old nephew) could tell that this team was loooooooong overdue for a teardown.   3 years of Wasted years/ aging assets and here we are. now they want to "rebuild".

but even the "Rebuild" doesn't come across as honest. It just seems forced. because linden would have faced certain ridicule from the entire universe if he opened his mouth and the words "playoffs" came out of them again.   I don't buy it.

until this team gets a competent management. who clearly states their goal is a Stanley cup. And actually shows it with their actions (Ex. not signing Eriksson to 6x6, or trading away high picks like candy) then there might be room for a little optimism/light at the end of the tunnel.  I personally don't see it though.  at least not with linden in charge.

Pro sports. It happens bruh. 

2 hours ago, DSVII said:

In the 20s, i feel like the road to the cup will be through mcDavid in the west and Matthews in the East in their primes. Nucks will need to work twice as hard to get past them.

WNP is going to do some damage too.  NYR and SJ will be on the decline and likely rebuilding by the early - mid twenties, and  WASH, CHI and PIT will be on their last legs( it's doubtful Crosby will play more than fifteen years in this league, same with Malkin).  LA is already a mess, and we're lucky to win one let alone two.  CAL and EDM will be our biggest competition starting as soon as next year....

Our cycle lines up well with the current powerhouses peaking or already in a decline, new teams are poised to take over which should make things interesting and give us a good shot at climbing out of the gutter and into a very different league.

most people currently on this forum is probably going to be dead before the Canucks win a cup.

Maybe in 2070 in their 100th season.

If you're under 30 you may be lucky enough to still be around

Archived