The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour/Discussion] Canucks to sign(should sign?) Jan Kovar out of KHL

At 27 years old he's not going to be a part of our future core, but would really help transition the young into the new guys. Sure, playing alongside the Sedins would be nice, but hopefully he can revert to center and take some pressure off Horvat. Consistent PPG in the KHL usually equates to NHL success and he seems solid enough as well, but you never know. Promise him playing time and we'll see.

At the least, it'll put pressure or Boeser, Dahlen and Goldobin. At the most he'll end up another 20 goal scorer and likely a nice fit with the Sedins. Who knows, if he scores at a 50 point pace we could see a lineup like this as early as next season:

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Dahlen - Kovar - Eriksson

Sedin - Sedin - Sutter

Goldobin - Gaunce - Dorsett/Boucher

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

He already admitted it was from a random Reddit post.  Now we're just waiting to see if the thread gets locked as a result.

Ok I edited my original post so that its not a complete rumour alone but also a discussion as to whether or not the Canuck should sign Kovar. Everyone happy?

Just now, RetroCanuck said:

Ok I edited my original post so that its not a complete rumour alone but also a discussion as to whether or not the Canuck should sign Kovar. Everyone happy?

I didn't care either way.  I'm bored tonight and you at least provided something to talk about. ;)

2 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

At 27 years old he's not going to be a part of our future core, but would really help transition the young into the new guys. Sure, playing alongside the Sedins would be nice, but hopefully he can revert to center and take some pressure off Horvat. Consistent PPG in the KHL usually equates to NHL success and he seems solid enough as well, but you never know. Promise him playing time and we'll see.

At the least, it'll put pressure or Boeser, Dahlen and Goldobin. At the most he'll end up another 20 goal scorer and likely a nice fit with the Sedins. Who knows, if he scores at a 50 point pace we could see a lineup like this as early as next season:

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Dahlen - Kovar - Eriksson

Sedin - Sedin - Sutter

Goldobin - Gaunce - Dorsett/Boucher

Yep and with added pieces that can score means you can trade other extra pieces. Or he might just be a good replacement for the Sedins in a year. Take pressure off BO

Kovar might be comparable to Shipachev. Even before this season, people were saying Shipachev would be a 1st or 2nd line center if he played in the NHL.

Shipachev apparently played on a really stacked team so that might be the reason his numbers improved so much at the age of 30. But in 2 seasons before this one (his best years aside from this year) he produced 1.11 points per game. If you go back further it drops off but I'm not sure how indicative his past stats are of the player he is today.

Kovar is at 1.09 ppg in 4 KHL seasons

Not sure if we're in the right position to sign him, being in a rebuild, but statistically he looks like the real deal.

Would be a decent pickup I think, evens out the roster. Extra scoring depth, pressure off sedins to produce is always good. 

Seems to have a decent enough shot. Low risk opportunity

Seems more speculative, but I'd take anything at this point in the offseason.

Great news if he's interested in coming over, but would it be a multi-year term? I mean that's what Shipachyov got, enticed him to come over. I honestly didn't know about this guy until this thread, so can't say how he plays but i'll look for him in the world championship. Some decent numbers. 

Archived