The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks planning to qualify Cramarossa

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

I've read that you just need to pay out the KHL contract and you can leave, so I'm sure Aquaman would do that if something was really on the table. 

Kovar would certainly get a real shot to play here.... I'd rather see Jim take a shot on him vs Spooner given the choice. 

Every KHL contract has the option to buy out at 2/3 of the remaining dollar amount. It's like an indemnity clause.

So the factor is whether you can compensate the player above what he was expected to get already, balanced with their desire to forego earnings to make the change.

Just now, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, they have a buy out process to break contracts. And some guys have out clauses written into their deals.

I don't want to derail this topic with Kovar talk so I'll stop. But anyone unfamiliar with him should poke around YouTube because there's a recent highlight pack that gives a pretty good indication of his abilities.

oops! right. Kovar and Crammer on the same line? :towel:

Smoked by the expansion team that currently has two contracts?

Go do a mock-draft - and you will easily see that Vegas will (almost certainly) have a better team than us next year!

Think about that for a second!  Our GM has left us in a position where we'd be better off cancelling all of our contracts and entering the expansion draft as a completely new team.  We could make a better team out of everyone else's cast-offs than what we have today.

Think of how badly your team has to be managed - and for how many seasons in a row - before this sort of thing would ever happen!  It's not something that can happen overnight, it takes many years of concerted effort to achieve.

Actually, it should never happen.  Ever.  Ever.  Ever. 

Allow me to explain:

Cast-offs are available 24/7/365 in the NHL.  We could pick up as many of these players as we want.  At any time.  So, to allow your entire team to fall below the cast-off level is...  Well, it's the height of incompetence, for starters.  Because, whenever your skill level drops below cast-off level - you can just go pick up some more cast-offs and bring yourself back up to that level.  So, it should be nearly impossible for a team to fall below this level.

Yet, our team has managed it!

Anyway, Crammarosa is a worthwhile contract for competition in camp.

He's a good skater, willing combatant, versatile, and can PK. He likely hasn't shown his best NHL quality yet and needs to get games under his belt.

No real risk here IMO. If he doesn't make the team he gets waived and either clears or doesn't. The contract spot needs to be used on somebody.

9 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Go do a mock-draft - and you will easily see that Vegas will (almost certainly) have a better team than us next year!

Think about that for a second!  Our GM has left us in a position where we'd be better off cancelling all of our contracts and entering the expansion draft as a completely new team.  We could make a better team out of everyone else's cast-offs than what we have today.

Think of how badly your team has to be managed - and for how many seasons in a row - before this sort of thing would ever happen!  It's not something that can happen overnight, it takes many years of concerted effort to achieve.

Allow me to explain:

Cast-offs are available 24/7/365 in the NHL.  We could pick up as many of these players as we want.  At any time.  So, to allow your entire team to fall below the cast-off level is...  Well, it's the height of incompetence, for starters.  Because, whenever your skill level drops below cast-off level - you can just go pick up some more cast-offs and bring yourself back up to that level.  So, it should be nearly impossible for a team to fall below this level.

What are you suggesting exactly? That we just not sign any of these extra players and rush our prospects instead? 

I'm also curious, are you for tanking or against it?

12 minutes ago, theminister said:

Anyway, Crammarosa is a worthwhile contract for competition in camp.

He's a good skater, willing combatant, versatile, and can PK. He likely hasn't shown his best NHL quality yet and needs to get games under his belt.

No real risk here IMO. If he doesn't make the team he gets waived and either clears or doesn't. The contract spot needs to be used on somebody.

And good replacement for Dorsett with injuries and when we move him at the TDL ::D

16 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Allow me to explain:

You have a lot of logical fallacies here so I'll try and help you out.

1) No one has any idea what McPhee will do or will pick. He may very likely trade most quality players he select for picks or prospects.

2) You can't cancel contracts in the NHL. Since that is the case, and the really expensive ones were mostly inherited, it's a moot point. 

3) The fact the NHL has provided LV with the best ED situation in the history of the league has nothing to do with the Canucks roster.

4) The idea that LV is selecting from castoffs underscores that, by nature, the majority of players will be 8th F or 4th D, hardly replacement level waivers quality.

I could go on and on...but it comes down to this...i think you're underestimating the Canucks roster who had everything go against them this year and is more likely than not to rebound almost across the board...and you'll say say I'm overrating them.

Either way, the truth is this, making a measurement of a team that doesn't exist yet and never played a game vs one that has and enjoys continuity is a pointless discussion because it's based on nothing but conjecture. It's rooted in your belief you can assess what LV's roster will be before the GM even knows.

Do your own mock draft, post it, and I'd wager less than 50% of your selections ate correct. Probably closer to 25% I would think.

14 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Allow me to explain:

One, we're a rebuilding team. Rebuilding teams struggle/are not very good. Two, I think you over estimate how 'bad' the Canucks are vs how 'good' LVK will be. Both teams will likely be duking it out in the bottom 10.

What are you suggesting exactly? That we just not sign any of these extra players and rush our prospects instead?

What I'm saying is that Cramarossa (and all the other players we've been signing recently) aren't anywhere near good enough to turn this ship around.  They are fringe NHL'ers.  If you want a team that competes for the Cup, you need more than just a large group of fringe NHL'ers.  You need stars.  Not Megna's, Chaput's, Skille's, Cramarossa's, etc...  We need players who are better than average (at their position in the line-up).  We are signing nothing but players who are below average (but have the potential to be, one day, many years down the road, above-average).  Now, this is actually a step up from Nonis (who got us terrible players with absolutely no upside at all), but it's still not enough.

For insance, go take a quick look at our roster from 5 or so years ago.  Our 3rd and 4th lines were chock-full of players who could score around 30 points.  And, that still wasn't good enough to win anything.  Most years it got us nothing at all but an early playoff exit.  Today, our 3rd and 4th lines are filled with players who go months or years between scoring.  They are no better than 10 point players. 

And, not surprisingly, we are 28 places lower in the standings because of it.  We need our management to smarten-up and get us the type of players we actually need.  The type of players that actually improve our team.  Unfortunately, they've messed up so epically, that it now becomes a thousand times harder to attract those players.

I could go on and on...but it comes down to this...i think you're underestimating the Canucks roster who had everything go against them this year and is more likely than not to rebound almost across the board...and you'll say say I'm overrating them.

Ha!  You do realize that you could have said exactly the same thing a year ago - yet we still managed to get worse!  A lot worse...

1 minute ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

What I'm saying is that Cramarossa (and all the other players we've been signing recently) aren't anywhere near good enough to turn this ship around.  They are fringe NHL'ers.  If you want a team that competes for the Cup, you need more than just a large group of fringe NHL'ers.  You need stars.  Not Megna's, Chaput's, Skille's, Cramarossa's, etc...  We need players who are better than average (at their position in the line-up).  We are signing nothing but players who are below average (but have the potential to be, one day, many years down the road, above-average).  Now, this is actually a step up from Nonis (who got us terrible players with absolutely no upside at all), but it's still not enough.

For insance, go take a quick look at our roster from 5 or so years ago.  Our 3rd and 4th lines were chock-full of players who could score around 30 points.  And, that still wasn't good enough to win anything.  Most years it got us nothing at all but an early playoff exit.  Today, our 3rd and 4th lines are filled with players who go months or years between scoring.  They are no better than 10 point players. 

And, not surprisingly, we are 28 places lower in the standings because of it.  We need our management to smarten-up and get us the type of players we actually need.  The type of players that actually improve our team.  Unfortunately, they've messed up so epically, that it now becomes a thousand times harder to attract those players.

You don't sign Cramarossas to turn the ship around. You sign Cramarossas to stick up for players that will turn this ship around. If your expectation is that we don't sign people like Cramarossa then you're going to be forever depressed no matter what team you cheer for.

Our roster from 5 or 6 years ago was a stanley cup contender that aged afterwards and obviously derailed. This actually fits in with the whole Cramarossa thing. If we just sign players who have reached their peak, we'd get nowhere in the end. We'd have no cap to spend on our stars because we'd be spending more money on "above-average at their position" players.

So sure. We can go with your strategy, but forget having superstars at that point.

Archived