The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is it time for offensive zone possession calls?

One thing that's really frustrated me with hockey lately is the inconsistency in refereeing, and the all-or-nothing nature of penalty calls. Just watching the Ducks-Oilers game: I'm cheering for the Oilers, but I couldn't help but feel for Corey Perry when his stick was slashed and broken. Of course the problem is either referees call a penalty or do nothing, which is stupid. And there are so many more examples I could give where referees are forced to either make a weak call or give a team an advantage for a foul. 

I think hockey needs to give referees the ability to call minor fouls as in soccer, where a team is given possession of the puck automatically at a certain point on the ice. For example, if a players stick is broken but the slash wasn't intended to break the stick, the puck is placed in the offensive zone face-off dot, and the team is given a 'free' faceoff with play starting when they touch the puck. This could also be combined with a no-change rule (similar to icing) for the offending team.

Calls like this would allow the referees to penalize teams for fouls without having to give full 2-minute penalties. Obviously we don't want more whistles in hockey, but I think something like this needs to be done. There are way too many marginal fouls that don't get called, with no recourse for the referees but to do nothing or make weak calls.

No thanks.   Not in favor of making our game in any way shape or form similar to soccer. 

There is and always has been a mechanism in place for missed calls - it's the old 'make-up' call given out by refs as an acknowledgment of their error. 

Is it a perfect system,  of course not - but what sport in existence has perfect officiating? 

But no, please don't copy soccer. 

16 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

No thanks.   Not in favor of making our game in any way shape or form similar to soccer. 

There is and always has been a mechanism in place for missed calls - it's the old 'make-up' call given out by refs as an acknowledgment of their error. 

Is it a perfect system,  of course not - but what sport in existence has perfect officiating? 

F8cking hate the make up call.

Make up calls are the reason why hockey why every hockey fan has a short fuse.

The NHL should put up an ad:

"Are you being pushed around at work or school? Do you have too nice of a temper to stand up for yourself? Come become a fan of one of our 31 franchises, where you will learn to become an angry person. Our program features 'make-up' calls, where a referee will make up a penalty on your player at a most crucial time of the game. After having gone through the 'make-up' call program, it will be impossible to hold your anger. NHL, where fans are always angry."

Can't f*cking believe someone actually is speaking in favor of the make-up call. 

I'd prefer to take out any objectivity for the refs... so this is a horrible idea..

Would rather the ref's call everything that they do in the regular season and the players required to adjust to that... After all PK and PP are valuable parts to any team and shouldn't be negated just because it's the playoffs.

1 hour ago, khay said:

Can't f*cking believe someone actually is speaking in favor of the make-up call. 

I didn't read Fanuck's comment as being in favor of the make-up call whatsoever.   He merely pointed out that it exists and while not perfect - what system would be?

100% agree about not moving in any way towards anything soccer related. 

What about off ice officiating having a greater role. So a player commits an infraction that is not seen by the ref.  At the next stoppage in play the penalty is assesed by the off ice officials. Penalties dont necessarily have to be two minutes.  Its a way of keeping the game fair and keeping the play moving.  That of coarse would depend on the integrity of 

The off ice officiating team. 

This would not work for the end of the game.

Just a thought......without giving it to much thought. 

Something needs to be done about the reffing. 

1 hour ago, PlanB said:

I didn't read Fanuck's comment as being in favor of the make-up call whatsoever.   He merely pointed out that it exists and while not perfect - what system would be?

100% agree about not moving in any way towards anything soccer related. 

Yeah, I was just angry the moment the make-up call was mentioned as it reminded me of all those f*cking make-up calls called against us when the opposing player just fell on his own. Apology to Fanuck if I came off as rude.

Agree that going towards soccer is not the answer.

I just think the ref has gotta call everything that he sees as an infraction whether it's in the first minute or triple OT. All those slashes to the hands aren't making the game anymore fun anyways and calling everything will get rid of them. Sure, the refs are going to miss some calls but if the NHL establishes the standard of calling everything they see, then the fans will take the missed calls as just genuine mistakes. With the current practice of letting some infractions go uncalled on purpose, the fans are second guessing every time something is called/not called. 

8 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Is it a perfect system,  of course not - but what sport in existence has perfect officiating

Refs will always miss or make the wrong call from time to time. That's simply being human. But I'd certainly settle for decent officiating. The rules are right there in the book - use them. Refs shouldn't be allowed to pick and choose what they call. The rules are the rules. If you want to increase scoring enforce the rules. From the first minute to the last and from the first game to the stanley cup being handed out. It's frustrated me for decades. I don't see refs in other sports turn such a blind eye to so many flagrant infractions the way the NHL does.

Dump the two ref system. It doesn't work. Basically the one ref is looking for the other to make a call. It was better with the two linesmen and 1 ref. And it's really sad when two referee's are supposed to be watching what happens both miss a call. 

Honestly, I am against make-up calls, when they were screwed in the first place, namely a missed call led to the goal and a make-up call is not guarantee for that team to actually score a PP goal.    Either, you call it when that penalty is warranted, or you don't.  Don't go for make-up calls is the worst thing you can do to a team, taking away their momentum.  This is silly, imo.   

What the NHL can do, is to remove that game management in their rule book and call all penalties as is stated in the rulebook and be strict about that regardless of score and time of the game.   I'm not holding my breathe on this one, and allow linesman to call high sticking penalties.  It seems to me that the linesman is not allowed to make this call  anymore.  Other option is to have all 2-minutes penalties where a PP goal is scored, penalty is still being served if the way the NHL calls the penalty nowadays.    

Another option, is to have a coach challenge for any missed penalty calls, to one per game, is separated from coach challenge on goals scored in offside or goaltender interference as a solution or a certain challenge whether it should be a major or minor penalty.

Wanna fix the officiating?  Allow each team to submit a list of officials not to be permitted to work ANY of their games.  Would help lessen the effect of certain unprofessional refs carrying out personal vendettas against a given franchise.  If a ref is on so many lists that he can't be scheduled, maybe it's time for the NHL to terminate his employment.

On 2017-05-10 at 8:33 PM, Matt_T83 said:

One thing that's really frustrated me with hockey lately is the inconsistency in refereeing, and the all-or-nothing nature of penalty calls. Just watching the Ducks-Oilers game: I'm cheering for the Oilers, but I couldn't help but feel for Corey Perry when his stick was slashed and broken. Of course the problem is either referees call a penalty or do nothing, which is stupid. And there are so many more examples I could give where referees are forced to either make a weak call or give a team an advantage for a foul. 

I think hockey needs to give referees the ability to call minor fouls as in soccer, where a team is given possession of the puck automatically at a certain point on the ice. For example, if a players stick is broken but the slash wasn't intended to break the stick, the puck is placed in the offensive zone face-off dot, and the team is given a 'free' faceoff with play starting when they touch the puck. This could also be combined with a no-change rule (similar to icing) for the offending team.

Calls like this would allow the referees to penalize teams for fouls without having to give full 2-minute penalties. Obviously we don't want more whistles in hockey, but I think something like this needs to be done. There are way too many marginal fouls that don't get called, with no recourse for the referees but to do nothing or make weak calls.

I appreciate the topic so I gave you a plus. I don't know if your solution would work though.  The whole "but the slash wasn't intended to break the stick".  So the refs would still have to be mind readers or make arbitrary decisions.  Much like a knowing if a player intended to shoot the puck over the glass. Because in neither case would a player intend to break a stick or shoot it over the glass knowing there is or may be a penalty for it. In fact you could say without question that they would hope the stick does NOT break. Or the puck does NOT go over the glass.

There is a difference in those 'crimes' as the breaking of the stick is sometimes called for slashing, sometimes it is ignored, while the puck over the glass rule is automatic.

But I have been advocating for awhile now the introduction of the one minute penalty for the puck over the glass, and also one could include the faceoff rule as well as another penalty where 2 full minutes would be too harsh (and so it is rarely enforced). It would still be useful as the PP team would be able to put out their top PP unit for an entire shift. A punishment would still be dealt out but it would be more of a fair reflection on the reality that the action was more of a mistake than a premeditated crime.

So when I read your OP I thought that this may also fall into that one minute realm of justice.

On 2017-05-10 at 9:01 PM, khay said:

"Are you being pushed around at work or school? Do you have too nice of a temper to stand up for yourself? Come become a fan of one of our 31 franchises, where you will learn to become an angry person. Our program features 'make-up' calls, where a referee will make up a penalty on your player at a most crucial time of the game. After having gone through the 'make-up' call program, it will be impossible to hold your anger. NHL, where fans are always angry."

Lol

On 5/10/2017 at 8:33 PM, Matt_T83 said:

since when would a slash actually be intended to break someone's stick lol 

On 2017-5-10 at 8:40 PM, Fanuck said:

Yeah, please don't copy the best, most popular sport in the world. It has nothing of value to add to our woefully unpopular game.

Every other major sport has calls that can simply switch possession, and this isn't even that major,  it's not a bad idea to theorize about.

On 2017-05-10 at 9:01 PM, khay said:

This 

the biggest issue and the only real ref issue is the flexibility of rules. A slack in regular is not = a slash in the playoffs. If its against the rules call it every time. If there are to many penalties for that area, change the rules

What the hell is wrong with you people?

The LAST thing the NHL needs are MORE RULES. if the inconsistency of officiating bothers you then I've got some news for you:

YOU ARE WATCHING THE WRONG SPORT!

Historically the NHL has ALWAYS given the official the ability to get a feel for a game and use his calls to help get a flow, rhythm, and identity going for that game. It's only been in recent years that a whole bunch of media pundits and parroting fans have started bitching about something that ISN'T A PROBLEM, all attempts to standardize calls have led to one thing:

BORING HOCKEY

This isn't the NBA, and it's not the way a hockey game is supposed to be called, please please go away and watch the NBA, you have no IDEA how this game works, and if you think more rules, calls, reviews penalties are what the game needs then you clearly don't understand what you are looking at. Please go back to the NBA or MLB or whatever it is you think a sport is supposed to be. your ill-informed opinions (well they aren't your opinions, you hear them from some broadcaster who has time to fill and then start spouting off as if you thought of it) are terrible. Join a hockey summer camp, learn something about how the game works, better yet read Bobby Orr's book and thank critically about what he says, does it makes sense? And if so why? Or why not? If you're going to regurgitate stuff at least make it stuff from someone who has played and not some communications major trying to work their way up the TV ranks.

Archived