The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is it time for offensive zone possession calls?

On 5/22/2017 at 6:14 AM, mephnick said:

Yeah, please don't copy the best, most popular sport in the world. It has nothing of value to add to our woefully unpopular game.

Every other major sport has calls that can simply switch possession, and this isn't even that major,  it's not a bad idea to theorize about.

Every other major sport can B%6w me

They suck compared to well-played hockey when the refs put away the whistles it is the greatest sport on earth.  I believe a fan of any other sport that watched true playoff warfare would end up agreeing with that statement

Again, PLEASE go watch soccer, there is nothing keeping you here......just go and watch what you enjoy.....but I know you can't because hockey is better and once you know it there's no going back.

Don't you people realize that the human error of the refs is a PART of the entertainment package the NHL is selling, PART of the drama? It doesn't need changing, hockey has NEVER been called like other sports, EVER....there is a reason for that.

This game is designed to build emotion to the boiling point, that is a GOOD thing. This is the entertainment industry, not the police firefighter or any other essential service 

ENTERTAINMENT

On 5/22/2017 at 6:14 AM, mephnick said:

Yeah, please don't copy the best, most popular sport in the world. It has nothing of value to add to our woefully unpopular game.

LOL - you want the NHL to mimic the most corrupt, unsportsmanlike game on the planet where players walk by each other on the field and one will fake an injury...... 

If these playoffs have taught us anything - it's that we already have the BEST GAME on the planet.  It's not perfect, but it's still the best imo.  

When I think of players like Karlsson playing through two broken bones in his foot for the entire playoffs, and I see soccer players literally falling on the ground rolling around like sissies it makes me sick - we already have that negative influence (Bonino and others) from soccer - we don't need anymore of their influence in our game whether it be rule changes or anything else.  

• 8 months later...
On 5/11/2017 at 6:19 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Dump the two ref system. It doesn't work. Basically the one ref is looking for the other to make a call. It was better with the two linesmen and 1 ref. And it's really sad when two referee's are supposed to be watching what happens both miss a call. 

The two referee system has outgrown its usefulness.The up ice referee regularly makes the call and they also collaborate with the linesman to get the calls right.

Cheech pointed out that clearly the offensive zone referee is often obstructing play. I watched this again the following games. The offensive zone referee is NOT needed during the PP. He just gets in the way of passes (watch for yourself) Many times the passing is so quick on the PP it seems to always find the offensive zone referee. If there is a contested goal,  the offensive zone referee is not needed because of video review. In the game Cheech pointed to,  the referee was jumping on the back of the goalie net to try and get out of the way. (Bush)

For starters, the offensive zone referee should NOT enter the offensive zone during the PP. He is simply not needed during a man advantage. The play usually just passes to the perimeter. 

I would further posit that there is no need for a referee in the offensive zone at all. Let the play carry itself and play itself out. Get out the way.

On 11/05/2017 at 5:42 AM, Baggins said:

Refs will always miss or make the wrong call from time to time. That's simply being human. But I'd certainly settle for decent officiating. The rules are right there in the book - use them. Refs shouldn't be allowed to pick and choose what they call. The rules are the rules. If you want to increase scoring enforce the rules. From the first minute to the last and from the first game to the stanley cup being handed out. It's frustrated me for decades. I don't see refs in other sports turn such a blind eye to so many flagrant infractions the way the NHL does.

there's already far to many penalties called.  If they called it by the book it would be worse than football.  One of the worst moves by the NHL was putting a second ref into the mix.  

On 2017-05-22 at 6:14 AM, mephnick said:

Every other major sport has calls that can simply switch possession, and this isn't even that major,  it's not a bad idea to theorize about.

Your opinion.

i find it unwatchably boring.

oh and FIFA is corrupt so there is that.

16 hours ago, stawns said:

there's already far to many penalties called.  If they called it by the book it would be worse than football.  One of the worst moves by the NHL was putting a second ref into the mix.  

If they called it by the book the players would stop doing it. It's the difference between I'll likely get away with it and knowing you won't.

6 hours ago, Baggins said:

If they called it by the book the players would stop doing it. It's the difference between I'll likely get away with it and knowing you won't.

No they wouldn't........how many times in a game do NFL officials call holding on O linemen in a game?  They keep doing it and I haven't seen the number of PPs in a game going down in the NHL.

Hockey is fast and reactive, you don't think about something until after the fact, imo.  For me, the modern game is far too managed and restricted, I can't stand watching PP after PP.  It's incredibly boring

On 19/02/2018 at 1:44 AM, Hairy Kneel said:

The two referee system has outgrown its usefulness.The up ice referee regularly makes the call and they also collaborate with the linesman to get the calls right.

Cheech pointed out that clearly the offensive zone referee is often obstructing play. I watched this again the following games. The offensive zone referee is NOT needed during the PP. He just gets in the way of passes (watch for yourself) Many times the passing is so quick on the PP it seems to always find the offensive zone referee. If there is a contested goal,  the offensive zone referee is not needed because of video review. In the game Cheech pointed to,  the referee was jumping on the back of the goalie net to try and get out of the way. (Bush)

For starters, the offensive zone referee should NOT enter the offensive zone during the PP. He is simply not needed during a man advantage. The play usually just passes to the perimeter. 

I would further posit that there is no need for a referee in the offensive zone at all. Let the play carry itself and play itself out. Get out the way.

On top of this, there are probably just as many mistakes and missed calls with the two ref system as there are one. The ref on the opposite side of the net can't see the puck even when the play is still ongoing and they blow the play dead. If the other ref isn't blowing the play down where they have a better view, why is the obstructed one making the call? I think it's more embarrassing that two refs on the ice can still butcher a play that could honestly be mistaken by one.

Archived