The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Players you've met- The Good & The Bad

Hey guys

I'm sure many of you have met several Canucks players past and present, and probably some guys from other teams as well. Who were really good guys? Who was not?

I'll get the ball rolling

Knew the video coach of the Minnesota Wild back in the 2002-03 season (man did he ever chirp me about being a Canucks fan, said we'll see who wins if we ever see you in the playoffs...boy that bit me lol). Saw them play the Blackhawks that year up in St. Paul and met a few of the players after the game.

The Good

Steve Sullivan- Very nice guy, very friendly, stayed to talk with us as long as possible after the game

Pierre-Marc Bouchard- Very soft-spoken, but a nice guy

Cliff Ronning- This was after his Canucks days, very quiet and reserved

The Bad

Eric Daze- Basically ignored us, but maybe just wasn't in a good mood that night

Let's hear yours. Bet some of you have some great stories living in an NHL city (a privilege I do not have sadly :/ )

I met Ryan Getzlaf when he brought the Cup to Regina. He wouldn't sign any of the kids' hockey cards, but he came over and signed my cast (I had broken my wrist that summer). I've moved houses since then, and I'm not sure I have it anymore - it would have been six years old by the time we last moved.

I've met Mayson Raymon a long time age at Best Buy. He was signing autographs and taking pictures. He was a nice guy, I got a hockey card signed by him and took a picture with him.

I've only ever met one Canuck and that was Rick Rypien (R.I.P). He was a very nice person. I think I startled him though, he was stopping at a 7-11 in Creston B.C to refuel his vehicle and use the washroom. I saw him and I basically went fanboy crazy for a moment. He didn't say a whole lot, but we talked about how his year went, his fight vs Boris Valabik, his fight vs Hal Gill and what the was doing in small town B.C at 1 in the morning. He smiled and told me (jokingly) That he was trying to avoid the crazy fans. His girlfriend laughed at me the whole time. But all in all he was a class-act and all around cool person. 

My dad was friends with a guy by the name of Dean Kennedy, he played in the NHL In the 80's and 90's. Absolutely fantastic person. 

I also met Scott Niedermayer, he was vacationing at his cabin. A group of my friends and I recognized him, we talked for quite a while. He actually asked more question than we did. Apparently he wasn't a fan of someone on the Canucks (I think it was Kesler), but he wouldn't tell me. He was a very fun person to talk to. At one point one of kids starting back talking to him and I said to my buddy something to the extent of "if my dad was an NHL player I wouldn't back talk him." And he made me realize that he is just a hockey player, that's his job, to his kid that's normal, he's just dad to them." Very cool to talk to. 

Edit: 

I also met Johnny Bucyk. He brought the Cup to my home town after the 2011 cup disaster. I was wearing a Canucks jersey and may have told him the wrong team won the cup (jokingly of course) (kind of). He didn't seem to find my comment all that funny. He signed one picture for me and didn't want to take a picture. Seemed like a nice guy anyways. 

Good:

Sergei Shirokov - he was really polite, seemed like he wanted to make it work here

Cliff Ronning - Nice guy

John Garrett - Nice as well

Bad:

Nate Thompson - was absolutely miserable, arrogant

Good:

Trevor Linden - Nice guy, quiet and keeps to himself but cool

John Garret - Ran into him at Platinum Fitness in Surrey. Very nice and talkative. Was very willing to talk hockey. It was when we just dealt Eddie Lack and he was saying how it was a good deal for Eddie and he was happy for him.... didn't turn out for Eddie in the end.

Cliff Ronning - Briefly, quiet but nice.

Brendan Morrisson - He worked out at Fitness 2000 in Burnaby when he lived here. Nice guy, he had just been traded to Anaheim so I wished him luck and thanked him for playing here and he thanked me said he appreciated it etc..

Bad..

Kyle Turris - Kind of a douche to be honest. Again ran into him at Fitness 2000 in Burnaby. I think he had just gotten traded. We were on the bikes together and I tried to start up a conversation but he just kind of grunted at me looked away. George Parros was there to but I didn't talk to him

17 minutes ago, b3. said:

Good:

Sergei Shirokov - he was really polite, seemed like he wanted to make it work here

Cliff Ronning - Nice guy

Bad:

was garret eating something with ketchup

19 minutes ago, b3. said:

Good:

Cliff Ronning - Nice guy

Bad:

also thompson is a american so that explains everything

41 minutes ago, b3. said:

Good:

Cliff Ronning - Nice guy

Bad:

As much as this sucks, i'm not all that surprised. He has that "vibe" about him. 

all the guys ive met have been great.

Al Macinnis, Joe Nieuwendyk, Gary Roberts, Theo Fleury, Mike Vernon.

got to hang and drink some beers with them after their cup win in '89.

Pavel Bure....had to keep him company in the VIP suite at club i used to work at in '95......he was really chill, down to earth.

thats all i got.

RNH at school. He was fine, definitely had that aura of cockiness to him due to people sucking up, but we've caught up and he's definitely matured, seen him at a few bars a few times.

Saw Linden at club 16 once, stopped briefly to talk, nothing but positives to say.

Francesco Aquallini was also very accommodating the one time I bumped into him, more impressive considering I was only 21 at the time

Kesler isn't the douche Bitchford wants you to believe he is.

Jake Virtanen. Unfortunately.

Oh and Cliff Ronning at the camp I worked at, like others have said he's very quiet, but man the genetics in that family, Everyone is so so talented 

30 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

RNH at school. He was fine, definitely had that aura of cockiness to him due to people sucking up, but we've caught up and he's definitely matured, seen him at a few bars a few times.

Saw Linden at club 16 once, stopped briefly to talk, nothing but positives to say.

Francesco Aquallini was also very accommodating the one time I bumped into him, more impressive considering I was only 21 at the time

Kesler isn't the douche Bitchford wants you to believe he is.

Jake Virtanen. Unfortunately.

Oh and Cliff Ronning at the camp I worked at, like others have said he's very quiet, but man the genetics in that family, Everyone is so so talented 

Jake is a dick or u did not wanted to met him

Good: 

Jyrki Lumme-offered an autograph before I could ask him

Trevor Linden- pretty self explanatory 

Gino Odjick-really humble 

Pat Quinn-See Linden 

Mike Commodore-pretty much just wanted to party

Cliff Ronning-my friend lived down the road from him signed autographs when we were playing road hockey in Burnaby 

Kirk McLean-thanked him for the save and a great cup run quietly said that was his job 

James Reimer-met him at white spot after the Canucks-Leafs game last year heard some trade deadline inside info like Polak being dealt little did he know Reimer himself would be dealt to SJ. Wished him luck on the rest of the year and thanked him for the photo. 

Carsen Germyn-Sold him a cell phone a few years ago talked about playing/living in Europe told him I couldn't believe the Flames sent him back to the AHL after such a good preseason and talked about Sutter not giving young guys a shot. Super nice guy. 

Met a few other journeyman players all humble and decent to talk to

The bad: 

No real bad ones Rod Brind'Amour seemed like he didn't want to give anyone the time of day but wasn't really rude about it just seemed like he didn't want to be there.

Trevor Linden, he stopped to sign my hat even though I think he was in a hurry
Dave Babych

Kirk McLean 

Nolan Baumgartner

Orland Kurtenbach

Dan Cloutier
Bo Horvat

Ben Hutton
Jordan Subban

Alex Grenier

Cole Cassels

Anton Cederholm he was super nice and humble!

Frankie Corrado

Nick Jensen 
Hunter Shinkaruk

really the only somewhat bad experience I have had was with Brendan Gaunce

Bobby Hull - I have an old book of 1000-point players published in '93, and he signed his page in it at the old timers game in Vancouver. I got a picture with him too. I was 7 years old - awesome memory.

Dave Babych - Met him at hometown hockey in Victoria last year. We talked about a variety of things for about 10 minutes, but the best bit was when I brought up Weisbrod and Babych just rolled his eyes and said that he's a giant dick. I got a good chuckle out of that.

Brock Boeser - Met him at his first development camp in 2015 at Shawnigan Lake. As everyone already knows, just a world class guy. We are very lucky to have him.

@Jaku Thanks for sharing the Rypper story. :)

I haven't met anyone face to face but I have played Xbox with Marc Savard.

I know someone who has met Kyle Turris and was blown away by how much of a good person he was. "A complete class act" if I remember what he said correctly.

A lot of old Canucks & Flames alumni dating back to the mid 80's. All were/are really very nice down to earth dudes. Trent Yawney gets a special nod as he helped out with a disgruntled customer at a fast food place I was working at the time & everyone involved but me had no clue who he was, he was just being a nice guy but went above and beyond. Got to meet several Panthers players last season (2015-16). A friend is a relative of Willie Mitchell & got us on the "family & friends" list for post game at the game here in Calgary & that was cool. Unfortunately Willie was stuck in the medical room post game so we didn't get to meet him, Luongo or Jagr. The way it goes sometimes, but got to met B Mo, as he was also there to see Willie. Also a really nice guy.

Garth Butcher I have a running joke with a friend about. He wasn't actually a dick, but told me & my buddy that he would be right back out of the dressing room to sign our programs. Every other player already had at that point. We waited forever & were eventually the last people there/kicked out & Butcher never came back. Then as we walked through the now basically empty parking lot at the Pacific Coliseum on our way to catch the bus he drove by us and waved, lol the bastard. So whenever wronged in any way we still refer to it as being "Garth Butchered".

bobby hull was super nice  and said to me with your size  u must play a ton of hockey and i was like ya i do he was super nice. met walter gretzky he wouldnt stop talking hockey it was awesome. 

met glen anderson and cliff roning in a pub totall a holes 

met ed jovanoski in a pub super nice

met pavel bure and his bro in 93 total douche bags 

Archived