The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Sabres name Jason Botterill general manager

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Report] Sabres name Jason Botterill general manager
1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

They went with a smart young guy (has a Masters Degree) who knows the game and was part of the reason why the Penguins are successful.  I think if he can get along with everybody then he has a chance to succeed. 

My biggest worry is that Pegula may decide to hire a president of hockey operations and a power struggle ensues.  I doubt that would happen though since the Pegulas learned their lesson with LaFontaine.

Depends on the terms, if its more around team culture and the business/marketing side, I don't see a need for conflict. 

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

Depends on the terms, if its more around team culture and the business/marketing side, I don't see a need for conflict. 

They already have a team president doing the business and marketing side.  Russ Brandon.

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

They already have a team president doing the business and marketing side.  Russ Brandon.

well there you go. no need to add another one. Maybe a capologist or something but thats up to the new GM. It will be interesting to see his next moves, particularly what he does with Kane and on D. 

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

well there you go. no need to add another one. Maybe a capologist or something but thats up to the new GM. It will be interesting to see his next moves, particularly what he does with Kane and on D. 

I just don't want them to be influenced by things like this. http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/20/mike-harrington-tankmaster-gone-pegula-needs-hire-hockey-czar-get-way/

13 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

They went with a smart young guy (has a Masters Degree) who knows the game and was part of the reason why the Penguins are successful.  I think if he can get along with everybody then he has a chance to succeed. 

My biggest worry is that Pegula may decide to hire a president of hockey operations and a power struggle ensues.  I doubt that would happen though since the Pegulas learned their lesson with LaFontaine.

The Penguins are successful because they have 2 generational centers, 1 elite all-around defenseman, and clutch goalie(s).

The aforesaid players elevate the play of those around them- thus allowing young players on ELCs to step into the lineup and thrive by sheer good fortune of getting to play and develop alongside such players. Guentzel, Sheary, Rust, Kunackhl, Dumoulin, Maata, et al are examples of this.

The above, along with the fact that they have a coach who has a total buy-in from his roster and coaches to their strengths. Good for the Sabres if Botteril can at least address this part by bringing in a coach antithetical to the atrocity that was Dan Bylsma.

Hmmm!

I took a sports psychology course from his dad at the U of W.  He was also a regular guest lecturer in some coaching programs. Not to mention Olympic and pro sports teams outside my scope.

I have heard for some time Jason was a strong candidate. 

His dad was very sharp!

2 hours ago, McDavyCrockett said:

The Penguins are successful because they have 2 generational centers, 1 elite all-around defenseman, and clutch goalie(s).

The aforesaid players elevate the play of those around them- thus allowing young players on ELCs to step into the lineup and thrive by sheer good fortune of getting to play and develop alongside such players. Guentzel, Sheary, Rust, Kunackhl, Dumoulin, Maata, et al are examples of this.

The above, along with the fact that they have a coach who has a total buy-in from his roster and coaches to their strengths. Good for the Sabres if Botteril can at least address this part by bringing in a coach antithetical to the atrocity that was Dan Bylsma.

You did notice where I said he was "part of", right?  He was the GM of a very good AHL team that produced pretty good players for the big team.

I think Pittsburgh made a mistake not keeping Botterill.  Their current gm Rutherford is 68 years and even though he said he is not ready to retire he should be thinking about it.  They could always bump him up the management ladder and give Botterill the gm spot at the end of this season, but that is not the way things went.

On 2017-05-11 at 8:05 AM, Mackcanuck said:

I wonder how long he will last until Mrs. Pegula fires him?:o

Damn she was a tough bruiser on the d-line at Harvard....beat Linden at arm wrestling 3x at the owners meeting when they agreed to give Vegas the cup in 2021.  We lost Horvat.

Archived