The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

'Canada's Team': Why do we all hate each other?

Every year in the playoffs, but especially this year given it's Canada's 150th birthday and CBC's marketing revolves around it, the issue of 'Canada's Team' arises. For me personally, I'll cheer for any Canadian team over any American team almost all of the time.

This year seems to have been especially divisive with Calgary, Edmonton, and Toronto all making the playoffs.

1) Some people hate these teams because of prior rivalries from decades past. I wasn't alive for those so I don't feel the hate but I understand this. I doubt even 30 years from now that I'll ever want Chicago, LA, or Boston to win anything.

2a) Others though, have indicated that they refuse to cheer for other Canadian teams because they didn't cheer for us in 2011. However, as much as we found Boston the dirtiest POS team, a lot of the league would have seen the Canucks through a lens built by a reputation we earned that season and in the recent past. We had Burrows, Kesler, Bieksa, Torres, and Lapierre. Those are some players which people could understandably dislike because of arrogance, play style, or personality.

2b) On Reddit, I found this tidbit from someone who lived in Edmonton for a period of time. (Taken out due to language)

Now obviously, this won't be the case for every Edmonton fan, but some portion of the Edmonton fanbase hates the Canucks Team because apparently CBC showed some fans cheering for the Hurricanes in 2006. Thus, those fans hated the Canucks from then on including our Cup run in 2011. Because those fans didn't cheer for our team in 2011, some of our fans didn't cheer for Edmonton in 2017, and the cycle continues. From the whole Reddit post above, I found one person that agreed with me.

3) If you were to hate a team based on their fanbase, then the Canucks would be hated all the time and I don't think our Team (players, coaches, management) deserves that. Our fanbase sucks. We whine about everything, we're impatient, we dwell on the negatives, and run players and coaches out of town. As much as we hate other fanbases for bringing up the riot, we still bring up Mike Milbury and his shoe. As much as we hate the Sedins being called sisters, we still saw 'Cindy' Crosby a lot on the boards around 2011. Our fanbase is as bad as any and hating a team for their fans is unfair to the team.

4) Others hate Edmonton for lucking into so many first overall picks or Toronto for tanking for Matthews. Well, isn't that exactly what we wanted to do? Kinda hypocritical ain't it? Besides, the reason Edmonton is good/will be great isn't because of all those number 1 picks. It's because of McDavid, and a great #3 pick in Draisaitl. Because of good trades like Hall for Larson. Because of a capable coach like McLellan and GM like Chiarelli. It isn't because of RNH or Yakupov (who they don't have anymore, and who hasn't lit the world on fire in St. Louis). 

The reason Toronto is good/will be great isn't just because of Matthews. It's because of a great 4th overall pick in Marner, and a great 8th overall pick in Nylander. Trading Kessel for Kapanen . A coach like Bobcock. 

The Canucks are on their way to similarly improving if trades and drafts work out but hating other teams for doing what you wanted to do, when they started rebuilding earlier isn't fair.

5) The media's constant focus on McJesus, Matthews, and 18 19 20 year old Sam Bennett. The media is the media. We know they're $&!# and a city's media shouldn't be reason to hate the team. Hell, we hate our own media.

6) Edmonton changed the rules! Except they didn't. Their ineptitude caused the NHL to change the rules which I'm pretty sure is something we all wanted while the Oilers were in the middle of sucking. It's only now that we suck, that our desire for change is backfiring. Teams don't choose to tank for a decade. They just sucked which is something we should be able to sympathize with.

7) You don't necessarily hate the other teams (or maybe you do) but you want the Canucks to be the first to bring the Cup back to Canada. Noble thoughts but we'll be waiting a while and I don't want to see St. Louis, Washington, and Nashville or other Cupless teams win the Cup in the meantime. Go for Canada instead.

In conclusion, we do all hate each other. We probably shouldn't because the reason for the hatred is all outdated, petty, or misplaced but that's what drives sports. Not all of these reasons will apply to everyone. Several might apply to you. But I hope that for a period of a couple months every spring/summer we can put that to the side and unite in cheering for Canada and bringing the Cup up North. Because that's what Bettman wouldn't want.

Its annoying because no one city represents the entire country. And because it gets thrust upon the rest of us, usually out of Toronto. 

Personally I don't care much about other Canadian teams, for me its more about individual players and who bled for us here. I'd love to see Bieksa get a ring before Toronto gets a parade. 

Well essentially the bragging rights that come with being the first Canadian team to win the cup since the invention of wheel would be immense. Everyone wants their team to be the ones to get that glory. Add me to that list. 

I don't mind certain Canadian teams winning, Ottawa is fine because they are a small market and Karlsson deserve it. Edmonton and Toronto though I do have a problem with

I'm hoping for a NSH/OTT final. 

I like how NSH plays and I think they have a small but excellent fan base.

Burr is on OTT and that boy has earned another shot at a cup... 'nough said. Though them being Canadian doesn't hurt. And of all the Canadian teams not named Canucks, I don't actually mind them. Karlsson's also a hell of a player.

My reasons:

1. Growing up I think kids were just programmed to hate the Leafs. For me decades later for no reason to hate them, I still do. 

2. Montreal, can't say I really dislike them at all. I can cheer for them. 

3. Winnipeg/Ottawa I can cheer for both. 

4.Calgary is a division rival. Hard to cheer for those.

5. Edmonton, same as Calgary, division rival. But further to that, I look at them tanking all these years and see how they are rewarded. You look at the past 2 draft lotteries and the Canucks moving up in position. You can squarly blame this on Edmonton. When Edmonton kept being terrible and tanking, and claiming all the first overall picks, the GM's and owners had enough, so the top 3 draft lottery was introduced and sadly has burned the Canucks 2 years and counting. It was essentially tough this year because we truly were BAD this year. We didn't tank. And we deserved a good pick. 

I mean at the end of the day would I cheer for a Canadian team outside of the Canucks? My answer is maybe. Think to 2011.....it was BC that was cheering on the Canucks for the cup. And the rest of Canada was against us....

5 minutes ago, jono2009 said:

My reasons:

1. Growing up I think kids were just programmed to hate the Leafs. For me decades later for no reason to hate them, I still do. 

2. Montreal, can't say I really dislike them at all. I can cheer for them. 

3. Winnipeg/Ottawa I can cheer for both. 

4.Calgary is a division rival. Hard to cheer for those.

5. Edmonton, same as Calgary, division rival. But further to that, I look at them tanking all these years and see how they are rewarded. You look at the past 2 draft lotteries and the Canucks moving up in position. You can squarly blame this on Edmonton. When Edmonton kept being terrible and tanking, and claiming all the first overall picks, the GM's and owners had enough, so the top 3 draft lottery was introduced and sadly has burned the Canucks 2 years and counting. It was essentially tough this year because we truly were BAD this year. We didn't tank. And we deserved a good pick. 

I mean at the end of the day would I cheer for a Canadian team outside of the Canucks? My answer is maybe. Think to 2011.....it was BC that was cheering on the Canucks for the cup. And the rest of Canada was against us....

That wasn't necessarily true. Different fans from different teams cheered for the Canucks on the run, due to the fact that they liked our playing style or that the Sedins were just simply magic.

Also, LOTS of fans from Seattle were cheering for the Canucks. Some didn't like Boston at all and identified with us instead.

Over the years my hate has shifted from Canadian teams to American teams for a few reasons.

1) I want Canadians teams to win. The last time the Cup came to Canada was 1993. That feels wrong.

2) The Canucks aren't good anymore. When we had a decent team the rivalries were more important, there was more to cheer for, we could revel in destroying the Albertan teams and taking it to Toronto and Montreal. That feeling is somewhat lost when we're not even competing. 

3) The other Canadian teams are all better, and fun to watch. Edmonton and Toronto have rebuilt in a way that we should envy. Ottawa is very consistent, and enjoyable to watch with Erik the Great and Burrows. Calgary is entertaining at least, Winnipeg is incredibly fun to watch, fast and skilled, with a great prospect base. 

3) I have personal connections to every team. I've lived in BC, Sask (go Winnipeg), Alberta and Ontario. My family has historically cheered for Toronto and Montreal. 

I actively cheer for Winnipeg and Ottawa, at least when they're not playing the Canucks. While I don't cheer for Toronto, Edm, Calgary and Montreal I do wish them success. 

Other than the Canucks of course I will cheer for, like or dislike a team based on its players or coaches.  For me its the story line following a team or players on the team that win over my support for the playoffs.  This year I was really rooting for Washington and Ottawa.  I really wanted Ovechkin to win a cup.  I love his heart and the style of game he plays.  I want Ottawa to win because of what Anderson has gone through this year, what McCarther has had to deal with over the last two years.  The crap the Phaneuf put up with while in Toronto.  Obviously Alex Burrows!  I have always liked Crawford and would like to see him win another cup.  And then there is Erik Karlson who might be one of the most entertaining players in the NHL.

In the west I am rooting for Nashville because the have never been here before.  Every other team in the west I was ambivalent towards (maybe except Calgary, because I dislike Ferland so much).  

19 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

We probably shouldn't because the reason for the hatred is all outdated, petty, or misplaced but that's what drives sports.

Exactly, so let us hate.  #$%^ Toronto, #$%^ Edmonton and #$%^ everyone who hates the Canucks.:towel:

I never cheer for a rival.  I never cheer for a team that's founded during the 90's/2000's.  I never cheer for a division or conference rival either.  Never the Rangers, Leafs, Habs nor the Bruins.   That being said.... that pretty much limit my options to like the Devils, Red Wings, Capitals, etc.  

This year.... I prefer that maybe Ottawa to win it.  Burrows, a non-rival, and having the Stanley Cup in Ottawa during the 150th Canada Day would be kinda cool.  While I would have loved for the Canucks to be the ones to repatriate the Lord Stanley's mug.... I can settle with Ottawa.  

3 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Exactly, so let us hate.  #$%^ Toronto, #$%^ Edmonton and #$%^ everyone who hates the Canucks.:towel:

Agreed.  My intense dislike for other Canadian teams comes from posters here, who live in those cities, but post on our Canuck's forum as if they are Canuck's fans, when CLEARLY they are not.  

It could go either way.

I respect those who cheer for their countries teams first, but I also respect those who wish for their team to break Canada's drought rather than another one.

That said, I am perfectly OK with any of the final 4 winning.

23 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

It's because most of the fans of those teams and eastern media were cheering for us to lose in 2011. 

I brought that up. We had an irritating team looking from the outside and part of it was media generated villain labelling.

Cheering against those teams now for the 2011 reason only continues the cycle of fanbased team hatred. The fans don't define the team as evidenced by us.

Montreal = no rivalry; there seems to be a lot of Hab fans around here

Toronto = you're not a westerner unless you hate anything do do with TO

Ottawa = no rivalry with Sens; besides, they're Burr's team now

Winn  = no rivalry

Edm = rivalry

Cal  = rivalry

Competive sports is driven by rivalries.

33 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

That wasn't necessarily true. Different fans from different teams cheered for the Canucks on the run, due to the fact that they liked our playing style or that the Sedins were just simply magic.

Also, LOTS of fans from Seattle were cheering for the Canucks. Some didn't like Boston at all and identified with us instead.

Thats a fair point. But it certainly felt that most were against us.....we didn't have support from others that you would think would cheer us on

15 minutes ago, jono2009 said:

Thats a fair point. But it certainly felt that most were against us.....we didn't have support from others that you would think would cheer us on

From what I've heard from people in Seattle, they were cheering for us. You might be surprised with the fans that come on board.

Archived