The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

'Canada's Team': Why do we all hate each other?

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Generalizations like this are annoying and simplistic, and serve no point but to weaken your argument.

Exactly!! 

And i find it very hard to believe the OP is even a Canuck fan as it reads like something off of SN or T$N

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Agreed.  My intense dislike for other Canadian teams comes from posters here, who live in those cities, but post on our Canuck's forum as if they are Canuck's fans, when CLEARLY they are not.  

I hope you're not referring to me because I like the Canucks more than the Leafs and own a lot more Canucks memorabilia.

Nothing wrong with liking two teams so I can enjoy 6 hours of hockey.

2 minutes ago, Xbox said:

I hope you're not referring to me because I like the Canucks a lot more than the Leafs. 

Nothing wrong with liking two teams so I can enjoy 6 hours of hockey.

There are some posters (not you) who clearly hate the Canucks, and come to our board to write nasty stuff about our players, team, and city, simply to antagonize us.  I want their teams (it's easy to pick out their most liked teams) to lose.  Leafs, Flames, Oilers, Jets, Hawks, and a few others:)  

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

It's not hatred, it is insecurity.   Same insecurity that has Flames or Oiler fans pointing to cups won before they were born as making their failed franchises for the past decade more relevant.  Now that their fortunes have turned, Canuck fans are being insecure about it.

If you are a hockey fan you can have favourite teams and still appreciate the success of others without any need for hate.   It is a more mature and enjoyable way to be but clearly it isn't for everyone.

But "hatred" for another sports team isn't usually rooted in actual "hatred" for individuals...it's a general thing.  It's what sports rivalries are based on.  It's actually ok to "hate" in that respect...it comes from a place of passion and intense experiences that we've had.

It's not insecurity at all....if done correctly, it can be fun to hate one another.  It's a love hate thing, really.  We all love this game so much we end up hating each other.

I HATE the Maple Leafs but that's not to say that if I saw one of them drowning I wouldn't jump in and try to help.  It's a hatred that lives and dies on the ice for the most part.  I have friends in Toronto...if I really "HATED" everything about Toronto, I doubt that would be the case.  I hate "the Leafs".  The team, in relation to my team.   It's hockey hate. DESPISE THEM.  Oilers too.

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

But "hatred" for another sports team isn't usually rooted in actual "hatred" for individuals...it's a general thing.  It's what sports rivalries are based on.  It's actually ok to "hate" in that respect...it comes from a place of passion and intense experiences that we've had.

It's not insecurity at all....if done correctly, it can be fun to hate one another.  It's a love hate thing, really.  We all love this game so much we end up hating each other.

I HATE the Maple Leafs but that's not to say that if I saw one of them drowning I wouldn't jump in and try to help.  It's a hatred that lives and dies on the ice.  I have friends in Toronto...if I really "HATED" everything about Toronto, I doubt that would be the case.  I hate "the Leafs".  The team, in relation to my team.

I think you are confusing hate with passion.   I have played this game all of my life and even made a living doing it for a spell and I had, and have, passion but have never hated an opponent or their fanbase.   Anyway, I like your posts and appreciate your perspective  

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

There are some posters (not you) who clearly hate the Canucks, and come to our board to write nasty stuff about our players, team, and city, simply to antagonize us.  I want their teams (it's easy to pick out their most liked teams) to lose.  Leafs, Flames, Oilers, Jets, Hawks, and a few others:)  

Understandable, I can respect that.

Canucks are my favourite team because watching them in 2003 is what got me into hockey, but I live in Oshawa, Ontario and cheer for the provinces teams in the East. I really don't like the Flames, Oilers, Jets or Habs though.

EDIT: I shouldn't say I hate Winnipeg. Definitely not like I do Flames/Oilers/Habs.

1 hour ago, Xbox said:

Understandable, I can respect that.

Canucks are my favourite team because watching them in 2003 is what got me into hockey, but I live in Oshawa, Ontario and cheer for the provinces teams in the East. I really don't like the Flames, Oilers, Jets or Habs though.

EDIT: I shouldn't say I hate Winnipeg. Definitely not like I do Flames/Oilers/Habs.

You're lucky!  Cheering for more than one team is the way to go, if you can.  Oshawa sounds like a nice place.  It's got a good name.

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You're lucky!  Cheering for more than one team is the way to go, if you can.  Oshawa sounds like a nice place.  It's got a good name.

It's an alright place lol. I don't cheer for or follow Ottawa, I just support them in the playoffs and go to their arena once and a while for a playoff game because it's fairly cheap and tickets aren't hard to get. I really like their story this year.

5 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

2a) Others though, have indicated that they refuse to cheer for other Canadian teams because they didn't cheer for us in 2011. However, as much as we found Boston the dirtiest POS team, a lot of the league would have seen the Canucks through a lens built by a reputation we earned that season and in the recent past. We had Burrows, Kesler, Bieksa, Torres, and Lapierre. Those are some players which people could understandably dislike because of arrogance, play style, or personality.

4) Others hate Edmonton for lucking into so many first overall picks or Toronto for tanking for Matthews. Well, isn't that exactly what we wanted to do? Kinda hypocritical ain't it? Besides, the reason Edmonton is good/will be great isn't because of all those number 1 picks. It's because of McDavid, and a great #3 pick in Draisaitl. Because of good trades like Hall for Larson. Because of a capable coach like McLellan and GM like Chiarelli. It isn't because of RNH or Yakupov (who they don't have anymore, and who hasn't lit the world on fire in St. Louis). 

The reason Toronto is good/will be great isn't just because of Matthews. It's because of a great 4th overall pick in Marner, and a great 8th overall pick in Nylander. Trading Kessel for Kapanen . A coach like Bobcock. 

The Canucks are on their way to similarly improving if trades and drafts work out but hating other teams for doing what you wanted to do, when they started rebuilding earlier isn't fair.

In conclusion, we do all hate each other. We probably shouldn't because the reason for the hatred is all outdated, petty, or misplaced but that's what drives sports. Not all of these reasons will apply to everyone. Several might apply to you. But I hope that for a period of a couple months every spring/summer we can put that to the side and unite in cheering for Canada and bringing the Cup up North. Because that's what Bettman wouldn't want.

You bring up some fair points, and you can't be faulted for not being around during some of those dark times.

Regarding your point 2a: Toronto has Kadri.  'Nuff said (but, I'll tack on Martin just the same).  Flames have Tkachuk.  If Kesler and others were enough of a reason to hate the Canucks back in 2011, then these jerks are enough to earn our hate, IMO.  Oiler players are generally less offensive in that sense than the clowns I mentioned (some will add Lucic, and more power to them).  But go back a few decades, and you have a-holes like Messier, Anderson, and Semenko, plus enough special treatment by the refs to make Caps fans forget all about Crosby.  They may well have had the same Cup success without the extra help, but having to sit through that was unbearable at times.

On the way to Calgary's only Cup win, they were given game 7 against the Canucks based on an illegal (at the time) goal.  Video review was not in place then.  Had it been, the goal would have been disallowed.  Flames might still have won, but they might not. 

All of Toronto's and Montreal's pre-expansion success was propped up by BS draft rules that gave them a huge advantage a few decades before.  Without that rule support, they are like all the other teams.  They have more Cups than they really deserve, so they don't need my support for any more.

Like others, I'm supporting Ott/Nash for the finals.  I don't have any huge issues with Ottawa, although Chris Neil generally pisses me off.  We'll see how the Sen's recently acquired agitator goes.  I heard plenty of bad things said about him over recent years, so we'll see if that continues ;) 

I think with your point 4, it's more of a matter of wasting all those #1 OA picks, and then winning McDavid when they shouldn't have needed him.  They don't deserve to be a powerhouse, if that is what they turn out to be as a result of McDavid.  They should have been had some moderate improvement with all those great draft picks, and turned into a respectable team without having such a difference maker stacked on top.

real translation of OP's thread~

"why we hate each other? "

1) I was too young for the rivalries (including some fairly recent ones like Calgary?) so I don't see the hate for those Canadian teams omgzz. but the American rivals I remember are ok to hate!!11

2a) other Canadian teams  fanbases were almost unanimously  praying to any god/idol/voodoo doll they believed in for the canucks to lose in 2011.  but that's no reason for us to return the scheudenfreude!!!!.  And they called our team dirty while ignoring any of the crap and bad officiating our team went thru!! they were actually totally right btw!!  a quarter of the canucks were totally dirtyzz!!! and they deserved the hate from the fanbases, with fuel being thrown on the fire by parasitic Toronto media (ron maclean as 1 example)

2b) On Redditz, I found this  rant by some coiler fan!  read it  (could it possibly be you?)  CBC found evidence of a handful of "canuck fans" cheering for the hurricanes!! omgzzzz1!

3) zomgggg all canuck fans the worst!! zomggg  canucks deserve hate, zomg love my coiler team (my guess) because they canadaz team 

I stopped reading at this point~

46 minutes ago, sam13371337 said:

real translation of OP's thread~

"why we hate each other? "

1) I was too young for the rivalries (including some fairly recent ones like Calgary?) so I don't see the hate for those Canadian teams omgzz. but the American rivals I remember are ok to hate!!11

Recent like 2004? Yes, I was barely paying attention to hockey at that time. Unless you mean our 2015 playoff series. i don't consider that a rivalry. The only thing I came out of that series hating was CBC for their incessant talk about then 18 year old Sam Bennett. 

My hate for Chicago, LA and Boston has decreased since many of the factors I hated are no longer with the team (Byfuglien, Versteeg, Sutter as coach, Recchi, Boychuk, Thomas). Some people still remain (Kane, Keith, Brown, Doughty, Chara, Bergeron) so I still don't want them to win. 10-20 years from now when no one on the team is the same, will I still hate them? Maybe. I might find new reasons to hate them. Ask me in 20 years.

2a) other Canadian teams  fanbases were almost unanimously  praying to any god/idol/voodoo doll they believed in for the canucks to lose in 2011.  but that's no reason for us to return the scheudenfreude!!!!.  And they called our team dirty while ignoring any of the crap and bad officiating our team went thru!! they were actually totally right btw!!  a quarter of the canucks were totally dirtyzz!!! and they deserved the hate from the fanbases, with fuel being thrown on the fire by parasitic Toronto media (ron maclean as 1 example)

Which brings the point back to hating other teams because of their fans and media. I don't do that. I hate because of particular players, coaches, and things actually under the control of the franchise.

2b) On Redditz, I found this  rant by some coiler fan!  read it  (could it possibly be you?)  CBC found evidence of a handful of "canuck fans" cheering for the hurricanes!! omgzzzz1!

3) zomgggg all canuck fans the worst!! zomggg  canucks deserve hate, zomg love my coiler team (my guess) because they canadaz team 

4 hours ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Exactly!! 

And i find it very hard to believe the OP is even a Canuck fan as it reads like something off of SN or T$N

I joined in 2010 after the Canucks got eliminated by Chicago again. I joined because of hate for the Hawks. Just because I accept that teams change and I don't buy into the mass hate that i wasn't around for, doesn't me I'm not a Canucks fan. Being a Canucks fan isn't some choice that comes with hatred for certain other teams attached.

5 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Generalizations like this are annoying and simplistic, and serve no point but to weaken your argument.

4 hours ago, TimberWolf said:

yup but it serves to prop oneself up because when they say "our fanbase sucks" what I hear them say is "everyone sucks but me"

Sorry. When I was writing it, it was supposed to seem like self-deprecating irony.

Obviously some are like that but blanket statements shouldn't be applied to any fanbase including the thought that everybody was cheering against us in 2011. I find it hard to believe many Montreal fans were going for Boston. 

Simple reason I won't cheer for the Coilers or Flames as I have said before - watched way too many games where they have set records, eliminated us etc to ever cheer for them.  It would be like Red Sox fans cheering for the Yankees - ain't gonna happen. 

And you know what - I don't care who cheers for us from the rest of the country. They have their own teams to cheer for. Let's move on from this ridiculous debate.

4 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I HATE the Maple Leafs but that's not to say that if I saw one of them drowning I wouldn't jump in and try to help.  It's a hatred that lives and dies on the ice for the most part.  I have friends in Toronto...if I really "HATED" everything about Toronto, I doubt that would be the case.  I hate "the Leafs".  The team, in relation to my team.   It's hockey hate. DESPISE THEM.  Oilers too.

Hating the Oilers is different then hating their fans though.  I hate Oiler and Leaf fans. They are arrogant and brag about anything they can.  Just like many Canucks fans do.

But how can you hate the actual teams???  Oilers and Leafs have been terrible over the past 10 years, while the Canucks have been relatively good.  We haven't had any solid playoff rivalries against either team.  If you hate the Hawks, Flames, Kings Sharks, Bruins? Sure. We've actually played them in the playoffs, and they have been competitive. 

But Leafs and Oilers have done jack the past 10 years. No playoff matchups.  Sure, Oilers are in our division but that is different than playoff matchups.  They have been terrible.  What is the reason to hate their actual team?

Leafs and Oil are starting to get good.  At the same time we have entered our 'rebuild and lose a lot' phase.  So again, no playoff matchups coming for the next 5 years probably.  After we play Oil in the playoffs, then I can see hating their actual team as being justified.

Obviously a lot of hate is media fueled, but that hate should be directed at media and fans, not the actual teams.

You're a good guy Welly and I like you, however this is way more of an issue than it needs to be. As far as I'm concerned anyone can cheer for whoever, whenever. I don't believe in the bandwagon mentality one bit. Fans who start taking these things to a point of being offended all the time should probably find a hobby. 

My Calgary hate started in the 1980s and went full force in 1989 when the Canucks took the heavily favoured Flames to a 7th game OT.  It took a (arguably) career best game by Mike Vernon and Joel Otto kicking in the puck to beat the Canucks in OT.  The lames then marched on to win the Cup.  Canucks were led by guys like Tanti, Smyl, and a rookie Trevor Linden.  Jim Benning played on that team.  I had the pleasure of attending game 6 in person and remember Garth Butcher tying up game 6 with a shot from the point. The stadium went nuts - the good old days when blue collar guys could go to a rink that didnt stink like expensive lattes and trufle fries .  Watch these highlights, it was a fantastic game, but the puck kicking flames cheated (by todays standards) and almost 30 years later they can still boast about that cup win.

As far as the coilers go, they were a fantastic team to watch in the Gretzky era.  But as a canuck fan I couldnt stand the arrogance of the players and their management. Guys like Muckler mocked the Canucks and certain oiler player(s) referred to the Canucks as a mickey mouse organization.  The fact that they have been reincarnated 3 decades later by lucking out numerous times at the draft really makes fans of other teams not like them.  To each their own, and I respect every fans choice, but it is beyond me how any non oiler fan can cheer for the oilers after being gifted so many top young players for so long only to have oiler fans pronounce their arrogance as if the team was built in a noble manner.

Most people in Canada have a favorite hockey team, in most cases it's their home town. There aren't too many hockey fans for America teams in Canada. 

Competition is alot of fun, it's fun to hate your friends teams. I grew up hating Edmonton, Calgary, Montreal and Toronto because I had good friends who loved them. 

I wouldn't mind seeing a Canadian team win a Cup but at the same time I could care less and would love to chirp my friends teams.

Archived